Newcastle United 1-0 Watford - 03/11/18 - post match casual finishes from pg 13

Disco

First time I really remember the minute applause was the round of fixtures after George Best’s passing, we had Everton away and it seems to have stuck in this country ever since. Some reason that seemed a fitting tribute but for what happened last weekend it’s not appropriate.

So how did we actually win this, then? A lot of good fortune for us, plus/including Watford fluffing their lines in the first half, I take it? Were we actually any good in the second half? Surprised about the Ki reports, he was absolutely abysmal against Forest.

So how did we actually win this, then? A lot of good fortune for us, plus/including Watford fluffing their lines in the first half, I take it? Were we actually any good in the second half? Surprised about the Ki reports, he was absolutely abysmal against Forest.

We won ‘cos Deeney wasn’t playing; they were wasteful in front of goal and we improved after the subs. The time and space they were given was disgraceful at times. I’m not sure why they took Hughes off; he seemed to have 3 yards of space everywhere he went.

Guest neesy111

Not exactly the best performance but a win's a win.

Also, that Gray foul on Schar - surely that should have been a red?  He clearly looked behind him at Schar before deliberately elbowing him.

Deffo a straight red as should have been the stamp on Yedlin that caused the flare up before it.

Not convinced Pereyra actually connected with Yedlin at all :lol: Certainly didn't mean it if he did

I've not seen a replay so i don't know, but it looked like he did and the players all thought he did as well.

It wasn't on purpose.

First time I really remember the minute applause was the round of fixtures after George Best’s passing, we had Everton away and it seems to have stuck in this country ever since. Some reason that seemed a fitting tribute but for what happened last weekend it’s not appropriate.

In my view, clapping = respect for a life well lived, the memories given and similar after someone pass away for natural reasons. Silence is for tragedies, and this certainly was a tragedy. You don't clap for tragedies.

Guest neesy111

In my view, clapping = respect for a life well lived, the memories given and similar after someone pass away for natural reasons. Silence is for tragedies, and this certainly was a tragedy. You don't clap for tragedies.

Similar to my views.

I reckon sudden unexpected death = silence, expected death (old age, long illness etc) = clap for celebration.

Why supporters can’t just stand in silence for a minute is fucking sickening like.

We're usually silent throughout  the actual game. As for being lucky, Watford  did only have 1 shot on target. We've had our share of misfortune  this season. A late own goal v Chelsea,  ball just crossing the line v spurs, a great penalty shout denied  at old Trafford to possibly go 3 up.

Watched the highlights.  How many chances did Watford squander :lol:  You just know that we'd have lost if any one of their efforts had found the net before we scored.  This can go down as one of the luckiest wins of all time.  Corner turned yeah!

I was going to say they had the better quality, but they didn’t, they just had more pace and although they had the better chances, they were only created due to their pace against ours on the breakaway, and they never had the quality to finish any of their chances.

Overall though we just wanted it more, especially in the 2nd half. Us taking the lead also have us a bit more confidence instead of us usually shitting ourselves.

Overall we just wanted more and I feel deserved it. Some really good performances today, however despite this our fears over our quality still remain.

Aye, I don't really see the point in trying to claim some sort of authority on how people display respect after a passing like :lol:

Clapping is fairly common nowadays for one reason or another.

I clapped, and when I did I was applauding his ownership of Leicester, his commitment to the community of Leicester, and his demonstration of being a good football owner and caring about the community the football club is in.

If people want to have a go at me for applauding that, then have a go. I feel like my applause for what he done in his lifetime is more appropriate then someone who would stand there only keep silent because of social pressures and not because they are actually thinking of the person they are supposed to be paying their respects too.

I do get your point, and he deserves to be applauded for his achievements. But the issue with clapping is that it infringes on how other people were showing their respect with the minute silence, and seeing as that was the "approved" option then it should have been followed. If they'd asked for applause and people chose to be silent, then that wouldn't impact anyone else so fair enough.

All my opinion of course and I certainly wouldn't have a go at anyone about it.