Miguel Almirón

Deuce

14 minutes ago, Aiston said:

Anyone else = we only care about if they try.

Almiron as the next one out gets all the shit, even when others are performing worse than him.

I agree the lad gets more pelters than some others, but trying is a minimum requirement really.  A professional footballer putting some effort in really shouldn’t be particularly praiseworthy 

3 hours ago, Beth said:

But he runs about n that and his heart is in the right place, so he gets a free pass by some on here.

You'll struggle to find a poster who doesn't think he should and will be upgraded in the near future.

It's not about giving a free pass, it's about about not moaning about him every week, regardless of his performance.

I’d be amazed if he’s not gonna be booed on or off the pitch by the end of the next month. A huge amount of fans have been gasping for someone to really turn against for a while and he was always going to be favourite given his history. 

He was merely being tolerated at best for a lot and it’s done. That’s gone for good now.  It’s out or nowt.

Burn being second likely but never really gonna happen for obvious reasons. 

Difficult one for Howe as those gunning for him to be replaced as wasn’t a big name will be a lot of the same people. Decisions decisions. 

The AC Milan miss was the final straw for me. If we want to be competing at the top of the Premier League, we need someone who can poke the ball into the net from a couple of yards out with his weaker foot. He has to go at the end of the season. 

23 minutes ago, Disco said:

I’d be amazed if he’s not gonna be booed on or off the pitch by the end of the next month. A huge amount of fans have been gasping for someone to really turn against for a while and he was always going to be favourite given his history. 

He was merely being tolerated at best for a lot and it’s done. That’s gone for good now.  It’s out or nowt.

Burn being second likely but never really gonna happen for obvious reasons. 

Difficult one for Howe as those gunning for him to be replaced as wasn’t a big name will be a lot of the same people. Decisions decisions. 

NUFC crowds have a tendency to turn on their ‘own’ before others - not sure BDB would be immune to that tradition 

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

NUFC crowds have a tendency to turn on their ‘own’ before others - not sure BDB would be immune to that tradition 

Extremely debatable IMO. Perez and Diame were hoyed under a bus quicker than owt. Always thought unless you’re clearly dogshit from the off you get a fair bit of line to hang yourself with before you become doubly quick persona non grata. 

RE: Burn I think most know he’s a got a natural end point coming sooner rather than later plus he’s obviously unlike some of the previous local lads an extremely affable bloke.

Not that this is/was my main point. 

20 minutes ago, vexred said:

The AC Milan miss was the final straw for me. If we want to be competing at the top of the Premier League, we need someone who can poke the ball into the net from a couple of yards out with his weaker foot. He has to go at the end of the season. 

My thoughts exactly, Milan game had his right foot finish all over all it yet again he went for his left and we all know what happened after than.

When he does use his right he is very poor, even looks to struggle placing a pass with that foot.

few times against Forest he chose to shoot instead of passing and likewise when opting to pass instead of shooting. 
he really seems lost with the overlap of trippier but I think other teams have clicked onto that however, I think the play that does work to Trippier down the right has ended in a poor cross/ end product. Nothing is working as easy as it used to, anyhow we go again and the lad will still get goals, he’s a grafter but needs to start getting his head up and putting chances away

21 hours ago, vexred said:

Today he had a great position to find a player to put us 2 nil up, fucks it up and within 15 seconds it's 1 all. I'll not even go into the one where he turns it on his own goal from a couple of yards out. He has to be replaced next month and I would ship him out asap. 

Edited by et tu brute

I think I said on here in the summer I thought we should have sold him as his stock would never be higher for ffp reasons and he’s definitely flopped that price tag now. 

I’m not really a fan of his but I think he’d be a useful squad player. He should really be in the Murphy role because that RW position has needed upgrading for ages. 

Neto or Raphina for me in the summer. I don’t think we’d get either in January. 

7 hours ago, St1pe said:

I think I said on here in the summer I thought we should have sold him as his stock would never be higher for ffp reasons and he’s definitely flopped that price tag now. 

I’m not really a fan of his but I think he’d be a useful squad player. He should really be in the Murphy role because that RW position has needed upgrading for ages. 

Neto or Raphina for me in the summer. I don’t think we’d get either in January. 

Selling while stock is high is also true of Joelinton imo.

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Selling while stock is high is an extremely strange way to view football like, sounds a lot like selling your best players. 

No, if you think a player is playing above their means, then sell them while their stock is high. Or if they are benefiting from playing with world class players. Bruno and Trippier can add value to any player.

But given a good team has a lot of players playing above their 'average' level, it seems a bit odd to then sell them.

And anyway, you can only turn over a limited number of players in each window, so presumably the ones that are functioning well are likely to be low on the list of people to replace. 

I suppose it does happen but it's a difficult one to get right. I think it's more likely that people just don't rate Miggy from pre-Howe era and so they see his weaknesses as confirmation and his good periods as a fluke. 

We shouldn’t have sold him, but we should have bought a replacement. He’s only really a great player when the system functions well, the same as Longstaff and Burn. None of those guys are really good footballers, they just know their role inside out and when the system works they can be very effective.

Edited by AJ9

4 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

But given a good team has a lot of players playing above their 'average' level, it seems a bit odd to then sell them.

And anyway, you can only turn over a limited number of players in each window, so presumably the ones that are functioning well are likely to be low on the list of people to replace. 

I suppose it does happen but it's a difficult one to get right. I think it's more likely that people just don't rate Miggy from pre-Howe era and so they see his weaknesses as confirmation and his good periods as a fluke. 

It's a job for Ashworth and co knowing when to move players on at the right time and buy players at the right time. Miggy should have been moved on, its nice of the club to extend him but the margins are so fine you need to be a bit more ruthless as we battle FFP. 

I'm not an expert on our FFP situation, but I assume we need to move someone on this summer and we don't have many sellable assets we want to sell.

Think he needs to be taken out of the side for his own sake, his head is clearly gone, he almost stuck the ball into his own net under zero pressure yesterday. Couldn't think of a worse own goal had he succeeded.

Problem is we're in a funk at the minute. Parts of the side that used to operate like a well oiled machine have broken down due to players been injured, not 100% or out of form. The axis of Trippier, Longstaff and Almiron has particularly suffered and has only served to highlight the technical flaws in Almiron and Longstaff. Biggest priority is getting Trippier back on form but having somebody in front of him who's a liability on the ball isn't going to help.

Two examples from first half yesterday bear that out. First one is Almiron having the ball on the right with Trippier overlapping. A simple pass would put Trippier in an excellent position to get his head up and pick out a man. The type of scenario that we were profiting off early in the season. Could've led to a much needed assist for Trippier, 2-0 and a different game. Almiron contrives to overhit the pass, Trippier can only dig out a cross on the stretch and the chance is gone.

The other one is the first Forrest goal where Trippier is left completely exposed defensively by Almiron playing the perfect pass to launch a Forrest counter attack.

We've seen before as well how poor form can really hang over Miggy with some of his goal droughts. The sooner he's taken out of the side the better as it's likely to get worse.

His pressing and enthusiasm is great. His decision making is poor and his shooting is predictable. More importantly, a top 6 side shouldn’t be playing a wide player where the opposition know that all they need to do is show him the line and he’ll turn around and play a simple ball back or inside looking for a wall pass down the line, inside the full back.

There’s levels of being one footed, I’ve never seen a pro seemingly afraid of using their weaker foot. Until now. 

Generally our team is hard working rather than high talent. When the team is no longer able to work hard it shows. An exhausted Almiron, offers less than a fresh almiron and a fresh Almiron doesn't offer loads. It's his inability to impact on the final third that lets him down. Beyond that he is a fantastic player to have. I actually think he could be kept as a CL squad player.