Chelsea 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 12/01/19- post-match reaction from page 17

BlueStar

Guest firetotheworks

Whose that idiot on the 5 live phone in? Savage? Last line before he cut that Newcastle fan off " also your never gonna win anything"

It's their business model. Stop listening.

I mean that's presumably them following instructions. I don't get it, at all.

Do you think? It was weird because there were a few similar situations

You can understand it earlier in the game, but not the last fucking kick, ref could blow for full time when they took it short for all they knew.

Idiotic.

I mean yeah, Atsu is standing where he's been told to stand and almost all set pieces are rehearsed so it has to be. I don't really understand the logic behind i

I guess it's to cause further disruption in the box as once everyone is set for the corner, expecting it to come in first time, they're possibly more inclined to lose their man when the angle is shifted. Element of surprise and that...

Problem is, we don't even fucking deliver it having gone short.

I read a thing a few years ago where technically putting the ball in the box from a corner is statistically not the best idea so presume Rafa probably tells them to mix it up a bit but last few seconds of the game you have to put it in the box unless you're passing it short to Messi or something

I mean yeah, Atsu is standing where he's been told to stand and almost all set pieces are rehearsed so it has to be. I don't really understand the logic behind i

So are we blaming Benitez here, or Ritchie for not being defiant or using his brain at that late stage of the game?

If that's how regimented it is with Rafas strategy, then he's fucking daft.

And on Ritchie, If it's myself in a game,  I would defy the manager and take the stick later, or the praise if we got someone on the end of a chance.

I mean our goal came from a corner straight to a head,  so it's extremely frustrating,  and pissed most of us of I'm sure.

Watched the match in a bar in ireland , they had the volume turned down and music full blast ! What did  rio say that  everyones going mad at ?

Ashley shouldn’t spend money because he’s selling the club. We should be thanking him for bringing Rafa. We are a yo yo club.

So are we blaming Benitez here, or Ritchie for not being defiant or using his brain at that late stage of the game?

If that's how regimented it is with Rafas strategy, then he's f***ing daft.

And on Ritchie, If it's myself in a game,  I would defy the manager and take the stick later, or the praise if we got someone on the end of a chance.

I mean our goal came from a corner straight to a head,  so it's extremely frustrating,  and p*ssed most of us of I'm sure.

I strongly doubt Rafa wanted him to take that short

Not bringing the keeper up (I know it's generally pointless anyway) was really defeatist by us I thought

Watched the match in a bar in ireland , they had the volume turned down and music full blast ! What did  rio say that  everyones going mad at ?

Said Ashley spent £50m of his own money to get us promoted and that we should be thanking him for it. Absolute bollocks, that was the clubs own money.

Rafa knows better than anyone how limited our players are like. I have no doubt that we had worked on short corners as an option during the week but I don't believe that Rafa would've wanted that last corner to go short to Atsu