The other games today 2019/20

Greg

Your arms are never “naturally” glued to your sides in any scenario.

To say nothing of the fact that the ball struck his chest first, before glancing off his arm. Had it taken a different bounce ff his chest, there’d have bee no penalty given. It was the wrong call.

I don’t see why it’s so hard to say “was that a deliberate attempt to handle the ball”. A referee should be able to judge that quite easily.

I’m sure it’s partly the media commentary that has driven this to be such a contentious rule.

I don’t see why it’s so hard to say “was that a deliberate attempt to handle the ball”. A referee should be able to judge that quite easily.

I’m sure it’s partly the media commentary that has driven this to be such a contentious rule.

Agree. The application of the rule (and interpretation from the media) seems to have got softer and softer to the point of 'was the ball struck from more than 2 yards away? Yes equals penalty.'  :lol:

I have been overwhelmingly busy recently, so missed the final and have just seen the highlights, but it should seriously concern the leaders of this sport that the deciding (gave the winning side its final lead) goals in the two biggest matches of the past year have resulted from the ball striking a defender in a meaningless and nearly unavoidable situation, one of which needed slow motion, HD replay to be justified. For players that have run 100's of kilometers in the competition and worked their life to get there, investors that have spent billions, and supporters sacrificing large portions of their wages chasing glory, the pinnacle events for all of this were determined by Ivan Perisic having his hand at his waist while jumping to head a football and Moussa Sissoko pointing to a teammate. It is a farce. I am seriously vexed that the worst case scenario (important matches being decided by nonsense) has already happened several times and no one seems to want to take any action. The rule makes no sense, the result has far too great an effect on the match in most cases, and the interpretation is wildly inconsistent, though I am told we are fixing this by formalising the way of things that has led to the current idiocy.

Said it before, will say it again. Change the rule to "Did the player gain an advantage from handballing it", removes any issue with intent and the attacking team doesnt gain an unfair advantage

Hmmm think arguably this one did, the alternative was a ball flying into the box. Think should be indirect free kick unless the handball blocked a clear goal or a very clear goalscoring opportunity? And maybe if obviously deliberate like batting at the ball with you hand

Handballs unless actually clearly intentional or stopping a ball from going in the goal can't result in a penalty anymore IMO. Needs to be an indirect free kick or something like that

As Deuce says, "unnatural" is a hopeless term in this context anyway. The only thing that would appear unnatural would be if players' hands were constantly out of harm's way. That being said, Sissoko's was fully outstretched - as much in harm's way as it could possibly be.

It's unlucky, especially so early into the game and - as we've said - massively disproportionate given how innocuous and undamaging the actual infringement was in the context of the situation. But it was still a bit clumsy and I think the refs called it right by the letter of the (stupid) law.

Is it even the law though? As far as I understood, the handball law states that handball has to be deliberate. Other things like the distance the ball travels and the position of the arms are meant to be considered only in so far as they help to determine intent. UEFA seem to have decided to pay particular attention to the position of the arms, so that in their interpretation of the rules any time a ball strikes a slightly raised arm, a penalty is given. That's a stupid and unjustified interpretation. The actual law as it stands - before the ludicrous changes meant to come into effect next season - is fine, it's the only possible handball law that's valid, it just needs a common sense interpretation.

Said it before, will say it again. Change the rule to "Did the player gain an advantage from handballing it", removes any issue with intent and the attacking team doesnt gain an unfair advantage

What happens if he is 2 yards away from an offensive player and it strikes him on the arm but it's going potentially in the top corner and there is a reasonable gust bearing how light football's are nowadays.

Guest neesy111

Granada promoted to La Liga.

Get yourself down to Granada when you get a chance, nees.

It's on the list.  I'm planning to go to as many grounds/cities in la liga next season.