Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

464 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

I personally believe that there’s something in this.

There are essentially four parties / six high profile names (buying or selling) and I would have expected one of these to say something if it wasn’t true.

The reality is that all want to keep it out of the press, and the press have all jumped onto a single story from the WSJ. They all know jack shit. First we’ll hear is through Ashley himself or way or another.

Guest The Little Waster

Has there been any actual proof that the saudi bid has failed?

Or is it just speculation as usuall?

Has there been any actual proof of anything?

If nothing of this was true, sure there would have been a denial from anyone of thoose said to be involved.

I think it's either Ashley not wanting to sell or work still in progress.

If the saudi prince rather would by man utd, why bid for NUFC.

Because its a way of saying accept my previous offer for Man U or im buying the Geordies instead

SweMag the new Odin? :lol:

God no  :lol:  I don’t do Photoshop.

I basically don’t believe the takeover will happend but I do believe George Caulkin and I do believe the £250k fee has been paid etc.

I really wouldn’t believe anything Sky Sports says so try not to take that as corroboration of other sources.

Thanks for your input LV. And I don’t.

:thup:

Has there been any actual proof of anything?

If nothing of this was true, sure there would have been a denial from anyone of thoose said to be involved.

I think it's either Ashley not wanting to sell or work still in progress.

If the saudi prince rather would by man utd, why bid for NUFC.

Because its a way of saying accept my previous offer for Man U or im buying the Geordies instead

I don’t think there’s owt in a takeover either, however it’s odd that you think there’s something in a rag like the Mirror’s claim that they really want Man Utd yet the WSJ’s article is bull.

If supporters want to take action against Ashley they need to realise what the value of NUFC is to Ashley and attack that value.

The value that NUFC has to Mike Ashley is all about raising and improving the profile of Sports Direct, the club is a branding and awareness tool (marketing) to raise and improve the profile of Sports Direct.  It's a bonus that the club makes Ashley a profit, but that's not the principle value the club presents to Ashley - hence impacting the profitability of the club won't be as effective.

If people want to remove Ashley they need to remove the value the club provides to Ashley.  This means that where the club provides a positive marketing outcome to Sports Direct today, fans need to attack that marketing value so that it lowers the brand value and sales revenue of Sports Direct.  Sports Direct needs to see its association with NUFC as toxic to the Sports Direct brand - this is when Ashley will sell.  This is why Ashley has reacted, through player purchases and new managers, when people have started protesting outside of Sports Direct stores.

Supporters need to take action to ensure that every Sports Direct sign, advertisement, event, store, etc has a negative message coming from NUFC.  This needs to be done with a large amount of energy and persistence so that Ashley knows that this isn't going to blow over and the only way to save Sports Direct is to disconnect it from NUFC.  Mike Ashley doesn't give a stuff about NUFC, its failure or success.  Mike Ashley only cares that Sports Direct is succeeding and he will react to protect that.

There is definitely something going on. How advanced it is or will ever get is the issue.

It’s clear Ashley will only sell if he “wins” the deal. That’s why it’s been 10 years. No one has agreed to his terms.

This current one could be near final stages. I would, say the “leak” that Ashley is so furious about came from him in some way. He uses it as a last minute negotiation tactic to squeeze any extra out of the deal. If he can’t get it then it collapses and he blames leaks and buyers not having a pot to piss in.

There is no way we get a clean break. He will want sponsorship deals for a certain amount of time. Or to still have the club shop as an SD shop. Or who knows what else.

Someone will have to give in to his demands somewhat and we will have to deal with his fat ghost hanging around for several years after any sale. Which I would gladly take in the long run.

When you come to big business and big deals you get a lot of egos. Not many would be willing to give up anything.

So until someone is willing to do that or he needs to sell because it’s costing him a lot of money then he stays.

I think the leak game is more likely:

- Ashley is twiddling thumbs, moving goalposts and not replying and potential investors are pissed, bored of waiting and want to force his hand

- His play was leaking there are 3 potential suitors to get them to pay more.

- They release more info about the owner wanting Manure.

- It simply all just goes away and this board implodes with apathy once more.

Guest godzilla

I think the leak game is more likely:

- Ashley is twiddling thumbs, moving goalposts and not replying and potential investors are p*ssed, bored of waiting and want to force his hand

- His play was leaking there are 3 potential suitors to get them to pay more.

- They release more info about the owner wanting Manure.

- It simply all just goes away and this board implodes with apathy once more.

It was always known they went for Man U first and made a bid which got the reply not for sale. That’s why there now looking elsewhere. One mackem reporter states an exclusive (which wasn’t) and people think it’s part of a plot.

Has there been any actual proof that a bid has been made, or that there's been interest? :lol: So glad I sat this one out besides the odd mis-click of topic on this forum, such as now.

Guest godzilla

Has there been any actual proof that a bid has been made, or that there's been interest? :lol: So glad I sat this one out besides the odd mis-click of topic on this forum, such as now.

Wall Street Journal is a pretty good source.

The more I think about it, the more am convinced the leak came from the Saudi side, not Staveley or the other guys.

I think they’ve used nufc as research into how much negative press they would receive if they bought any English team (more so Manchester United). They probably haven’t factored in media bias against nufc so they’re probably thinking it’s a bit soon to be making any moves to own a football team yet.

I think Staveley has been burned here in this instance.

The more I think about it, the more am convinced the leak came from the Saudi side, not Staveley or the other guys.

I think they’ve used nufc as research into how much negative press they would receive if they bought any English team (more so Manchester United). They probably haven’t factored in media bias against nufc so they’re probably thinking it’s a bit soon to be making any moves to own a football team yet.

Interesting theory

Bonkers but interesting nonetheless.

As I constantly tell my 10 year old daughter, it's ok not to voice every thought that comes into your head. It's ok to be quiet.

Interesting theory

Bonkers but interesting nonetheless.

Why are you paying any attention to what Odin is saying?

I live in the belief this club will be sold this time. Much more fun thinking about a potential takeover than watching a clueless Steve Bruce trying to make us play football. I’m not expecting it to be sold though  :lol:

It’s not a fakeover. Confirmed (or understood) both by George Caulkin and Sky Sports due diligence is completed and that this takeover is at an advanced stage. A fee of £250k has been paid. The price is not an issue. Evidence of proof of funds. Some details left. Mike Ashley back in the country. No denial from Amanda Staveley, Mike Ashley, Saudi Arabia or the Reuben brothers. Mike Ashley will never get a better opportunity to sell the club and he knows it. But it’s up to him now.

Well yeah. The real stumbling block to any sale has always been that Fat Mike doesn't really want to sell.

As I constantly tell my 10 year old daughter, it's ok not to voice every thought that comes into your head. It's ok to be quiet.

:lol:

I live in the belief this club will be sold this time. Much more fun thinking about a potential takeover than watching a clueless Steve Bruce trying to make us play football. I’m not expecting it to be sold though  :lol:

It’s not a fakeover. Confirmed (or understood) both by George Caulkin and Sky Sports due diligence is completed and that this takeover is at an advanced stage. A fee of £250k has been paid. The price is not an issue. Evidence of proof of funds. Some details left. Mike Ashley back in the country. No denial from Amanda Staveley, Mike Ashley, Saudi Arabia or the Reuben brothers. Mike Ashley will never get a better opportunity to sell the club and he knows it. But it’s up to him now.

Well yeah. The real stumbling block to any sale has always been that Fat Mike doesn't really want to sell.

I think he'd sell, but not cleanly. He'll want to keep advertising his tat emporium around the ground for free and keep the club shop. When the other party refuses, his 'clean break' price becomes prohibitive and the deal collapses as he places such a disproportionately high value on those things and the buyer does not.

Absolute fucking nonsense :lol:

Why would the Saudi side be a part of negotiations for months and then leak it just to see how the response is from the English media?

It’s more likely.. say Ruban Ghandi, finance director at QPR who knows his fellow board member Jamie Reuben is in talks with NUFC. He leaks it to Bradley Hope who is based in London and writes the article about the takeover in the Wall Street Journal.

Wild speculation...

- Saudi's look to buy Man Utd and fail

- Staveley approaches them and gets them tentatively on board for US

- She negotiates and gets a deal to about 95% (does all the leg work etc)

- She just needs the Saudi's to give a go

- They still want Man Utd so MBS tells his biographer to leak the deal

- if this makes Man Utd sell he buys them, if they still not interested he buys us

If we’re back here I’ll stick with my earlier theory. 

Been debating whether or not to post this, given the reaction other posters have got, but....

I was speaking to a chairman at a league two club on Saturday (won't take much to work out who); he's an acquaintance of Ashley (not friends I have to add). I started mentioning this takeover which he'd obviously heard about, but said from what he's heard he can't see Ashley selling for the foreseeable. He did say that plenty of parties have expressed an interest over the years though.

It's only one man's opinion of course, and probably means nothing.

SweMag the new Odin? :lol:

God no  :lol:  I don’t do Photoshop.

I basically don’t believe the takeover will happend but I do believe George Caulkin and I do believe the £250k fee has been paid etc.

I really wouldn’t believe anything Sky Sports says so try not to take that as corroboration of other sources.

Thanks for your input LV. And I don’t.

If someone has stumped up £250k then it's almost certain they will proceed with buying the club unless due diligence unearths a problem with the books etc in which case I would expect my £250k to be refunded.  If it wasnt I would be taking Ash to court.  However Ash insists the club is very well run with no debt so that means a sale must go through sooner or later.