Mike Ashley (former owner)

Disco

?  

464 members have voted

1. 1. ?

• Takeover
    • Fakeover

Surely that would be some form of insider trading?

Buying back shares is insider trading, is it? OK.

Hence the question mark. It must be dodgy somewhere - it’s Ashley.

I doubt he does anything that dubious in financial trading. The punishmens are hefty if you fuck with them. My thoughts would be that either;

a) the accounts will be good and he has bought his shares, knowing this. Or

b) the accounts are poor, and he has bought them at the last legitimate opportunity, securing the best legal price.

From The Telegraph

It's high time for Mike Ashley to end this very public spectacle

Christopher Williams Deputy Business Editor

Christopher Williams

15 July 2019 • 9:02pm

Mike Ashley claims it is “very boring”, but there’s never a dull moment in Shirebrook.

The former Derbyshire colliery town is now best known as the Sport Direct tycoon’s favourite place to dig himself into deep holes. Lately he seems hell-bent on his own tracksuit-clad journey to the centre of the Earth.

Bizarre announcements from Sports Direct are nothing new, of course. Barely a week goes by without the retailer troubling its shareholders with some foolery, often requiring correction via a further announcement within hours. On some level, investors who have remained on board to indulge the madness of King Mike must enjoy the show.

Yet perhaps, at last, Ashley’s excesses are catching up with him.

Just consider developments at Shirebrook over the last fortnight. First, the long-serving head of retail operations, Karen Byers, a woman described by the founder of Sports Direct himself as “the glue that holds it all together”, suddenly left the business.

Days later it was revealed that Cameron Olsen, the company secretary, stepped down on the same day, for personal reasons.

Two senior departures in quick succession could just be bad luck. But today's announcement that the company’s financial report will be delayed by up to a month is a signal of serious problems.

Naturally, on planet Ashley, he is not the author of this crisis. The update identifies more culprits than a Sports Direct security guard, yet few can be found in Shirebrook.

Sports Direct is apparently unable to produce its accounts as scheduled because of regulatory scrutiny of audits and its auditor, Grant Thornton.

In fairness, Sports Direct does admit that “the current uncertainty as to the future trading performance of this business” is a factor too.

However, when a listed company discovers it is missing its targets it normally rushes out the announcement to keep the stock market informed. Sports Direct instead claims it as a reason to keep its investors in the dark.

On top of that, Ashley argues that the takeover of House of Fraser, a move he planned and plotted for months before the department store chain collapsed into administration last year, has also made producing reliable accounts on time too difficult.

Does this amount to an admission that he has overreached himself by acting as the high street’s grim reaper, harvesting whatever value he can from damned retailers? Does it mean the end of his tantrums over Sports Direct’s failure to seize control of Debenhams before it fell into the hands of its lenders, a gamble that squandered tens of millions of pounds? Surely Ashley can now see collecting more stricken businesses is likely to add to his own troubles?

The answers are now beside the point. Sports Direct’s failure to deliver its results on time and the scattergun of excuses that accompanied the announcement was rightly received as a sign of problems at the centre of the Ashley empire.

Behind the bluster, the announcement hinted that the core Sports Direct business is failing to meet its forecasts. Investors marked the shares down by 9.6pc, to leave them close to their lowest level since 2012, but that was a guess.

The true extent of Ashley’s challenges will not be known until he has finished arguing with Grant Thornton some time between July 26 and Aug 23.

In a normal listed company with proper governance, at that point Ashley would have some very difficult questions to answer. Sports Direct is not a normal listed company, however, and Ashley’s power is complete.

With the share price headed south, a management and board stuffed with cronies, and a baffling obsession with buying distressed retailers, it is now impossible to escape the conclusion that Sports Direct does not belong on the stock market.

Thanks to its decline, Ashley could end the farce and take it private for half a billion pounds, a third of what it would have cost him four years ago. Shareholders would grumble, but Sports Direct has always been famous for its giant mugs.

I would think that, if the accounts are poor, this is strictly down to recent investments which have yet to see a return. Next year there will be returns (possibly minimal but still essentially free) and no crazy investment. If SD performs as it always does then the shares rise again. I'm sure this is his MO.

If you think abou it, the club being relegated, and losing it's global coverage, every now and then, would proably help in that regard.

That Telegraph article nails it in the second to last paragraph. That's his grand plan.

Take it back private, having fucked everyone that made him incredible wealthy beyond his wildest dreams and go back to the world of zero scrutiny.

That's where this story goes. 100%.

Just wish he'd flogged us to fund it.

That Telegraph article nails it in the second to last paragraph. That's his grand plan.

Take it back private, having f***ed everyone that made him incredible wealthy beyond his wildest dreams and go back to the world of zero scrutiny.

That's where this story goes. 100%.

Just wish he'd flogged us to fund it.

Given his potential over extension with the garbage he's bought recently he may have to.

But I agree, he definitely will try to go back private he's treated the city with nothing but contempt, not that I'll shed a tear for them either.

haha, in response to my email telling ashley to stick his ST up his arse :lol:

The Email dated 15 July which you sent to the Newcastle United Football Club, contains words which are considered to be obscene and offensive / threatening. The sending of this Email may constitute a criminal offence under the Malicious Communications Act, which is punishable by up to 6 months imprisonment and/or a fine. A record of this communication will be kept and if you send another such Email, then the matter will be referred to the Police for investigation and prosecution.

Section 1 of the Act covers the sending to another of any letters, electronic communications, photographs and recordings that are indecent, grossly offensive or which convey a threat (which may be false), provided there is an intention on the part of the sender to cause distress or anxiety to the person who receives them.

The offence refers to the sending, delivering or transmitting, there is no requirement for the communication to reach (or be read by) the person who is intended to read it.

A person who is found guilty of an offence under section 1 of the Act can receive a maximum prison sentence of six months, a fine of £5000 or both.

Yours sincerely,

Newcastle United Football Club

The Email dated 15 July which you sent to the Newcastle United Football Club, contains words which are considered to be obscene and offensive / threatening. The sending of this Email may constitute a criminal offence under the Malicious Communications Act, which is punishable by up to 6 months imprisonment and/or a fine. A record of this communication will be kept and if you send another such Email, then the matter will be referred to the Police for investigation and prosecution.

Section 1 of the Act covers the sending to another of any letters, electronic communications, photographs and recordings that are indecent, grossly offensive or which convey a threat (which may be false), provided there is an intention on the part of the sender to cause distress or anxiety to the person who receives them.

The offence refers to the sending, delivering or transmitting, there is no requirement for the communication to reach (or be read by) the person who is intended to read it.

A person who is found guilty of an offence under section 1 of the Act can receive a maximum prison sentence of six months, a fine of £5000 or both.

Yours sincerely,

Bunch of utter cretins.

We should all send 1 like that. They can't do much about it if we all do.

Yours sincerely,

Ha ha ha ha ha. Fuck knows how I didn't get one of those given my reply was just as candid.

Honestly, this is what the relationship has come to. Them warning genuine fans for having an opinion. Having the balls to present their view directly to them?

Fucking utter scumbags.

Whenever a change of ownership happens, and I pray I'm alive to see the day, this fucking football club needs to be utterly cleansed of all of the cunts in the whole building. Ashley's culture has completely intoxicated the place. It's rife.

Honestly burn it all down.

Yours sincerely,

Also, you should write back to the cunts telling them that if they email you again trading standards will be informed as you view them as masquarading as a football club.

Yours sincerely,

Also, you should write back to the c***s telling them that if they email you again trading standards will be informed as you view them as masquarading as a football club.

Everyone who's cancelled season tickets should put in a GDPR cleanse request so they have to delete all of your personal info.

Yours sincerely,

Thank you for your reply. Please ask the lawyers who drafted your response read both the Act, and my initial letter, more closely. You will note that I have not contravened the Act.

Please be advised that I will be posting your response to social media to demonstrate the club's attitude to those who use fruity language when expressing their displeasure with Mike Ashley's NUFC. I hope that does not cause him, or you, distress or anxiety.

Yours sincerely,

Thank you for your reply. Please ask the lawyers who drafted your response read both the Act, and my initial letter, more closely. You will note that I have not contravened the Act.

Please be advised that I will be posting your response to social media to demonstrate the club's attitude to those who use fruity language when expressing their displeasure with Mike Ashley's NUFC. I hope that does not cause him, or you, distress or anxiety.

Love Raconteur xx  ?

Why the fuck would any organisation bother writing that back to a customer? Petty as it gets.

It's a form letter written because some poor receptionist got called a cunt for being Mike Ashley's bitch once too often. And you know that's how it happened, with some of our fans.

i sent it to the box office tbf, no reason for the people there to be dealing with s**** language for doing their jobs tbh so i'm not gonna start throwing it about social media

they should perhaps consider not working for fat mike

Guest neesy111

i sent it to the box office tbf, no reason for the people there to be dealing with s**** language for doing their jobs tbh so i'm not gonna start throwing it about social media

Some people don't have a choice though.

ah i'm not having that like, people have bills to pay ffs