Women's Football

Wtf is that. How can she possibly call full time there? That should have been going another 5-10 mins.

VAR is awful. Goalkeepers are going to be afraid to move now.

Was thinking during the retake, the keeper was probably paying more attention to not stepping over the line than the penalty itself. Might be technically correct but fuck me we're gonna see a lot of penalty retakes in the future

whoever decided on that rule change or more rigid enforcement clearly has never played a game of football in his or her life. Frankly I'm not even sure they've ever even watched a game of football. The retake alone is bad enough for being a few cms off the line but to top it off with a yellow card? Thats just insulting so in conclusion fuck fifa for trying to ruin football and getting closer and closer to achieving that goal and fuck VAR

Guest chopey

I wonder how many pens would need to be retaken if VAR was used to backdate decisions, did we win the 1990 world cup ?

Tbh I think it’s good refs are stamping down on keepers coming off their line early on. They’ll soon stop. Just stand a pace behind the line to start with and you can dive the same distance from on the line. Pretty easy surely??

Tbh I think it’s good refs are stamping down on keepers coming off their line early on. They’ll soon stop. Just stand a pace behind the line to start with and you can dive the same distance from on the line. Pretty easy surely??

sorry but theres a distinct difference between being well of the line and what happened to the scottish and nigerian goalkeepers this week. It might be the letter of the law but its against the spirit of the law especially in the case of the nigerian goalkeeper as the french player completely missed so no advantage was gained and she got a get out of jail free card for no reason whatsoever

Might as well say ‘that’s ok, you were only 4 inches offside, go on you can have that one’.

We knew the rules were going to be enforced this summer in particular for things like this and no-one seems switched on enough to adjust. It’s a simple thing to do man. :lol:

no i can't agree not with the mess they've made of the handball rule meaning there will be a lot more pens and probably every prem forward just aiming for the arm to try his luck next season. And all of this to accommodate fucking VAR so fuck that shit.

So, keepers now should cede an extra yard and stand behind the line to placate the idiocy of VAR? Maybe instead of this we can stop fixing issues that did not exist and just rely on the trained officials to punish keepers who are egregiously off of their line.

It’s not to ‘placate’ FIFA. The penalty is to award the attacking team and penalise the team who’ve committed the offence...why should they get an advantage??

If the keeper wants to extend their diving range they can take a step back behind the line, then dive and make the same save but within the laws of the game.

Seconds later :lol: How long does a kick typically take to get from the spot to the goal? :lol: The ball has very clearly been struck in that frame above, it's moving. The fact that we're talking frame by frame images shows how much football has lost its fucking mind to this utter nonsense.

Just start a pace further back ffs. :lol:

If she does that, there’s no issue. If that step makes her reach the ball too late then good! Penalties are supposed to be to reward the attacking team. I’m sick of the defending team getting away with this for years, handballs, etc. Finally something’s being done about it.

I’m going to bed, goodnight. xx

If you want to change all the rules so much just get your own fucking sport instead of trying to ruin the one everyone else likes.

Absolute fucking tosh, mate. I love the sport just as much as you, just got a different opinion.

It’s not to ‘placate’ FIFA. The penalty is to award the attacking team and penalise the team who’ve committed the offence...why should they get an advantage??

If the keeper wants to extend their diving range they can take a step back behind the line, then dive and make the same save but within the laws of the game.

I am not even sure it is legal for the keeper to stand fully behind the line if we are now treating the "laws" in this manner (not using common sense). I believe it says that the keeper has to be in line or have one foot touching the line, and mentions nothing about standing in front of it or behind it. I don't understand the problem with the striker and keeper using their natural techniques to score/save the penalty and referees using their human brains to intervene when someone violates and gains an advantage. It worked fine until it was haphazardly changed for no reason.

Obviously I'm biased but wtf?!

Scotland are out because of this nonsensical rule and Nigeria are now given a lifeline to possibly advance, which they only need in the first place because of the same nonsense. This is FIFA's version of the highest level of our game in 2019. I cannot wait for the next Premier League title to be decided because we determine that someone meant to touch the ball with their hand when looking at it in 10X slow motion.

The first penalty shootout in this tournament will interesting when we are calling off every save or watching professional atheletes ignore 20 years of technical training and stand in the goal to try and save a football because of this.