Alternatives to NUFC

Guest The Little Waster

Which team has the closest connection to Nufc, Blyth Spartans (awesome name) or Gateshead? Or is there another team in the area one can follow while Ashley holds Nufc hostage?

Edit: New page playboy.

Spennymoor, South Shields.

Gateshead aren't a bad choice, like, they're at a decent level and the extra support could help them push on a bit after their recent troubles.

Cheers 👍

Which team has the closest connection to Nufc, Blyth Spartans (awesome name) or Gateshead? Or is there another team in the area one can follow while Ashley holds Nufc hostage?

Heaton Stan is your closest club to SJP in the Northern League down the pyramid.

None of this County Durham / South Tyneside shite.

Heaton Stan is your closest club to SJP in the Northern League down the pyramid.

Play in black and white stripes as well.

No pubs within spitting distance though

Canny clubhouse though and the Newton Park is an excellent pub and a 15 minute walk away.

Canny clubhouse though and the Newton Park is an excellent pub and a 15 minute walk away.

The Newton is okay. I'm not a huge fan of chain pubs like Hungry Horse tbh.

A quick google sees that the Newton is 0.5 miles away. I'd rather walk an extra 0.3 miles and drink in the Brandling Villa or the Millstone :milner:

A quick google sees that the Newton is 0.5 miles away. I'd rather walk an extra 0.3 miles and drink in the Brandling Villa or the Millstone :milner:

Surpised they are closer tbh. You could add the Victory to that list as well then.

Guest The Little Waster

Surpised they are closer tbh. You could add the Victory to that list as well then.

Corner House , Hussars , Benton Ale House

Been watching MLS more and more. Supporting DC United for now because of Rooney but once he’s done, probably won’t give a toss although when i was eight years old, I picked them as my American team because they had united in their name so who knows.

NYCFC I guess will have to be my local team. The stadium is way up in The Bronx and I’m deep in Queens. It’s like and hour and half journey by public transport. And they play in a fucking baseball stadium. Hopefully I and them move closer together at some point.

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd psychologically disinvested once Rafa left, but the the official confirmation of Bruce has still managed to leave me nauseated.

Not sure I'll even be able to stomach taking an interest by willing/wishing the team to lose as in the Pardew/Mclaren days, don't know if that's more a reflection of the increased sense of futility of everything NUFC and a kind of fatigue following the club or just a recognition that my time could be better spent on other things.

Think the best way forward is to distance myself from football entirely, really.

Bump.

I haven't watched a single second of NUFC in the season just gone, the departure of Rafa and appointment of Bruce was more than enough to ensure that. I did however retain a general interest in the PL (albeit a greatly reduced one). My relationship to the club, like some others on here, has become a peculiar mixture of apathy, detachment and contempt, probably best expressed in the desire to see the club lose, as the only apparent means of possibly arriving at something better in the future.

Today's news surely puts paid to even that. Time to take my own advice from this time last year.

Think I’m done with Newcastle & the Premier League football tbh.

A) they’ve created a product where to compete ‘consistently’ at the top level you need to have a multi-billionaire.

B) they seemed content from the off that they weren’t keen on us being one of them.

Hebburn & Gateshead it is.

Rugby League. Been following it since they brought Magic Weekend up here in 2015 and had a season membership at Newcastle Thunder since 2017. Tbh I prefer it to football now although I'll still probably take in the odd Non League game if something takes my fancy. Cancelled my Sky Sports over a year ago so I dont watch Premier League football on TV anymore so in that respect nothing much will change.

My interest in NUFC and elite level football in general was hanging by a thread anyway, just means the thread has been snapped now.