Joelinton

Stifler

12 minutes ago, SiLvOR said:

Yeah totally, just surprised Howe said it in public as he normally doesn't really 

It's definitely a departure from Howe just focusing on on-the-field matters, I think there's an element of what @Nepharite said above :

32 minutes ago, Nepharite said:

Could Howe not have been told by the board to say something like this, in a coordinated effort to highlight how Newcastle have to sell their better players to progress? I think this is a holistic approach from the club to show FFP for what it truly is. starting with Ashworth's interview. Then Eale's the other week. Now Eddie with this emotive admission. All ramping up the media hype to look at the constraints that us and the likes of Villa, Brighton et al are under.

I'll be genuinely surprised if we can't reach an agreement with him. He seems to love the place, has a best mate in Bruno along for the ride and the club obviously value him highly. I'd be morbidly interested in seeing what kind of offers he'd be looking at that could turn his head.

I know there were Liverpool interest rumours for a short while but I can't see European challengers valuing him like we do (unfairly so). 

2 hours ago, SiLvOR said:

Yeah totally, just surprised Howe said it in public as he normally doesn't really 

It's uncharacteristically Pardewy if we're being honest.

Especially combined with being overtly flattered Bayern are interested in one of our players.

Good approach. Sign or he sold, not messing. We can't afford to let him walk away for free, it's nothing personal, in fact we want him to sign, but there's a limit on negotiations and we won't lose him for free.

I do think he'll sign. He'd be daft to leave, it just works for him here, and if it's daft money he wants, he can grt that in a couple.of years in ksa, and everyone wins. 

4 minutes ago, Beren said:

Especially combined with being overtly flattered Bayern are interested in one of our players.

Ah, the good old days. 

4 minutes ago, Beren said:

Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

2 hours ago, HawK said:

It's definitely a departure from Howe just focusing on on-the-field matters, I think there's an element of what @Nepharite said above :

Suspect it's simpler than that. We're haggling with his agent over a new deal and this looks like the club's way of saying "the offer on the table is our last and we're serious so if you don't sign, we'll be forced to sell in summer". Would be gutted to lose him but this does look like a game of brinkmanship.

Think Howe was putting a bit of pressure on Joelinton there and so he should.

Whatever wage Bruno is on, Joe should earn slightly less and that would be about fair. If he's asking for more, then he's gone.

1 hour ago, wormy said:

I know there were Liverpool interest rumours for a short while but I can't see European challengers valuing him like we do (unfairly so). 

Just a guess, but Casemiro replacement for Man U?

If it brings money in, which is reinvested and turbocharged the way FFP allows, then it's probably a punt we have to take.

1 minute ago, Stottie said:

Just a guess, but Casemiro replacement for Man U?

If it brings money in, which is reinvested and turbocharged the way FFP allows, then it's probably a punt we have to take.

Entirely different players.

If Joe does have to be sold.... we can either fleece enormous money from a PL club or sell him abroad.

Not overly attached to Big Joe staying. He'll fetch a large fee for us and doesn't seem to have physical robustness to be able to stay on the pitch for a meaningful stretch of games.

17 minutes ago, Beren said:

What are you on about? :lol:

I haven’t watched the press conference but it just sounds like a factual assessment to me. Hasn’t agreed a deal yet, ‘could’ be sold. 

Would be very sad to see him go but I’m not going to worry about every player leaving for the slightest reason. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

9 minutes ago, STM said:

Think Howe was putting a bit of pressure on Joelinton there and so he should.

Whatever wage Bruno is on, Joe should earn slightly less and that would be about fair. If he's asking for more, then he's gone.

I would match his wage with Bruno’s

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I haven’t watched the press conference but it just sounds like a factual assessment to me. Hasn’t agreed a deal yet, ‘could’ be sold. 

He made it clear that running into the last 12 months wasn't an option.

Makes perfect sense when at a minimum we are looking at 40m worth of player.