Joelinton

Stifler

I think, of our current midfielders, Bruno, Sandro and Willockinho will be the best blend.

Should be careful paying anyone in the midfield who isn’t those 3 (or a better newcomer) top wages.

1 minute ago, Lotus said:

I think, of our current midfielders, Bruno, Sandro and Willockinho will be the best blend.

Should be careful paying anyone in the midfield who isn’t those 3 (or a better newcomer) top wages.

We miss someone breaking up play in the midfield. If Sandro can bring that, I agree this is a good three. Being able to rotate Big Joe through there will help keep everyone fit and give us options though. 

Beast of a team if we can play

Joelinton Isak Gordon

Willock, Bruno, Sandro

as a front 6. That fucking physicality and press.

1 hour ago, Lotus said:

Assuming it's correct that Tonali looks awesome in training and is fully up to speed with the midfield roles and the way we play - for me it's very dependant on our opponent what the best midfield is. Joelinton simply has to be in it against teams where we're most likely not dominating possession, most likely at Tonalis expense.

Remember our form picked up when Longstaff came back after Tonali struggled to impress after his debut, so he'll have earn his place.

21 hours ago, AJ9 said:

Joelinton Isak Gordon

Willock, Bruno, Sandro

Joelinton LW and Willock LCM always makes us look so much stronger.  I’m not keen on Joelinton in midfield, but he offers a hell of a lot on the LW.

He reminds me a bit of Bellamy, in that if the lad could finish consistently he’d be an unbelievable footballer.  

17 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Joelinton LW and Willock LCM always makes us look so much stronger.  I’m not keen on Joelinton in midfield, but he offers a hell of a lot on the LW.

He reminds me a bit of Bellamy, in that if the lad could finish consistently he’d be an unbelievable footballer.  

Agree that we look robust when he's on the LW, but he's been consistently excellent for us in midfield and it's the move to that position which sparked his whole resurgence.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Agree that we look robust when he's on the LW, but he's been consistently excellent for us in midfield and it's the move to that position which sparked his whole resurgence.

Aye, I mean if he'd just moved to LW he would probably just be on the bench or playing for someone else now. 

21 hours ago, AJ9 said:

Joelinton Isak Gordon

Willock, Bruno, Sandro

Don't like it.

I think a top team needs 4-5 great attackers. If playing 3 in midfield you need 4-5 great midfielders etc.

Gordon Isak New signing (with Barnes, Joelinton, Wilson & Miggy as back-up)

Joelinton Bruno Tonali (with Willock, Longstaff, Anderson as back-up... we lack quality in depth here clearly)

Yeah I know Joelinton and Willock were great in LCM and LW, but do we really think we'd spend £80M on 2 left wingers and do this? 

Yes, Gordon can play RW you may say, but Eddie has not played him there (I think) and he has been our player of the season on the left this season 

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Don't like it.

I think a top team needs 4-5 great attackers. If playing 3 in midfield you need 4-5 great midfielders etc.

Gordon Isak New signing (with Barnes, Joelinton, Wilson & Miggy as back-up)

Joelinton Bruno Tonali (with Willock, Longstaff, Anderson as back-up... we lack quality in depth here clearly)

Yes you are right, and I’ve also been keen for us to buy someone at RW for the past 2 windows. But potentially against weaker opponents using a really physical pressing game with a line up I suggested allows us to use the pitch as essentially another man. We definitely need options though and creativity this summer is a must because this season has shown that we cannot always rely on press/physicality, we need a different way.

2 hours ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

I’d like to see him RWF against one of the ‘weaker’ teams, see if he can absolutely bully a left back cutting in constantly.

it wouldn’t be for every game, but a good mix it up option

Wouldn’t he be more likely to cut inside constantly from the left? 

I still think his best position is midfield and the fact he linked up so well with Willock on the left. Meant that he looked better than he actually was as a left forward. Playing in that interchangeable/dove tail role with Willock. 

Either way. A new right winger/forward required urgently. 

On 10/03/2024 at 12:15, AJ9 said:

Joelinton Isak Gordon

Willock, Bruno, Sandro

One of the best front sixes in the league. 

I think this is important to keep in mind when people wonder why we’re not so keen to tinker with the philosophy or sign stop-gap players etc. Stay the course. 

The only issue with that front six remains how to create the most opportunities for Isak. Bruno is excellent at sliding balls in, Willock can make a killer pass. Tonali, he should be able to but we haven’t seen it yet. Gordon’s not really known for being an elite passer / assister although I think we’ll see more and more of that from his game. Joelinton isn’t going to put too many quality balls through to Isak. If Tonali can come in and add some extra creativity then that six is outstanding. There’s still a RW to come as well 

Yeah, plenty of room for tweaks and improvements. I do think Willock and Tonali both running beyond Isak has a lot of potential, with him dropping deeper into space at times. 

Can’t wait for next season and just forget this one ever happened :lol:

I’m not sure there’s enough goals in that front 6 for a title push. Throw in a talent like Saka or Salah on the right, and let Gordon and Big Jow rotate and I’d feel a lot more comfortable.

Defence needs to stop dropping clangers too.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, black_n_white said:

Miss watching big Joe, any news on his contract / recovery from injury?

Howe said today in the presser there’s no update on his contract.