Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

1 hour ago, WillingtonMag said:

And people on here want to sell him, absolutely hilarious. Can't wait to see him in a team with more movement Wilson up front and some one with a bit of quality on the other wing.

Play two wingers including one who refuses to chase back.We’d be back to conceding 3 and 4 regularly.

I would have given him a chance him a chance on the right wing last season.Saying that,there would still be know guarantee that he would get the ball into the danger area at the first opportunity.We’re looking to go to the next level and playing ASM regularly on the left wing would hinder that plan.

9 minutes ago, tomlynnherrington said:

Play two wingers including one who refuses to chase back.We’d be back to conceding 3 and 4 regularly.

I would have given him a chance him a chance on the right wing last season.Saying that,there would still be know guarantee that he would get the ball into the danger area at the first opportunity.We’re looking to go to the next level and playing ASM regularly on the left wing would hinder that plan.

We've been playing Murphy and Almiron opposite him through large portions of the season and have generally been good defensively since Howe came in. Don't see why having him alongside some one actually good going forward is going to make us fall to bits like, adding to the fact we'll probably be signing a decent defensive midfielder and another centre half. His stats speak for themselves in a team of players not good enough, top in dribbles completed and chances created. Let's see him in a good team playing attacking football.

Edited by WillingtonMag

59 minutes ago, hakka said:

I thought he could only play right wing competently with us? Most time he was in the middle he lacked the control and instinct to get out of being closed down from memory, and looked poor there.

He rarely played CM. He first played as an AM, a literal 10.. I got pelters for saying he wasn't good enough technically to play 10 but people claimed he was Pardewed. Anyway that didn't work so moved him to RM. That was okayish. 

Reflects poorly on our management that Wijnaldum nor Sissoko rarely played CM for us.

2 hours ago, gbandit said:

Sissoko was definitely not class for us. He was a committed player who did a lot of running and helped link defence and attack but technically he was massively lacking

I thought he was largely shit, a 400m runner who won a raffle to play football.  He had zero trickery with the ball, just a kick and run merchant.  And the kick was usually straight at the opposition players leg

In a midfield 3 or in a 2-man 4-2-3-1 Sissoko allowed an actual RW to attack. Covered ground, won possession, passed it to better players and could drive the ball forward and give it to better players.

He was always a functional player that we tried to use as a star man. We did the same with Gini & Scott Parker.

Sissoko was fucking garbage man. So many people hoodwinked off the back of that debut.

Technically fucking woeful and only ever any use for a counter attacking team on the transition because he could run a bit and had a bit of an engine.

It's no coincidence he's been part of a starting 11 that's been relegated again imho.

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Sissoko went from over rated to under rated by people on here.

He tried his best and never hid so I always respect him for that.

Eh? He was one of the worst for hiding during our relegation season.

That Bournemouth performance one of the worst I’ve ever seen from a professional footballer - didn’t want the ball and whenever he got it he immediately lost it.

Wey he's 32 now, but is it also no coincidence that he was in the starting 11 of a team that got to the Champions League final and a rotation player then starting player in the league, finishing 2nd, 3rd, 4th? Or is it also no coincidence that he was a rotation player in a team that won the World Cup?

Seems a bit selective to only point out his career with us and Watford.

Edited by Kid Icarus

The Spurs fans I know (ST Holders) would all have happily driven him back to Newcastle at virtually ALL points of his career there other than a (very) short spell under Poch. He was a figure of fun for them for the most part and booed on many occasions during his tenure there.

IMHO, he took more from NUFC than he gave.

Can only really talk about him based on his time here as I didn’t watch him closely at Spurs. The few times I did see him for Spurs, he seemed one of their weaker players. Maybe @leffe186 can let us know what the consensus of opinion from Spurs fans was on Sissoko there 

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Sissoko went from over rated to under rated by people on here.

He tried his best and never hid so I always respect him for that.

We must have very different definitions of hiding....

Sissoko at his peak would be a very useful player in the PL for a counter attacking side. A pure transition player. No good for a possession team at all mind.

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

You brought up Sissoko at Watford. If you just want to talk about his and Wijnaldum's time at Newcastle, go for it. 

You literally cited Sissoko making a CL final appearance as justification for your defence of him and then slated Gini W despite him winning it [emoji38].

Sissoko never hid. I definitely refute that and always think it's revisionist nonsense mistaking playing shite (and looking a bit grumpy) to hiding. He was always fully fit, played every single game, and always gave it his all. It's just that he was not a very creative or refined footballer so relying on him into be your primary outlet in a relegation threatened side is asking for trouble. He was never good enough to be that player.

He became scapegoat for that relegation. While Wijnaldum, who basically downed tools with months left and couldn't get into the side, is looked back upon fondly by NUFC fans for some reason.

9 minutes ago, Smal said:

Sissoko at his peak would be a very useful player in the PL for a counter attacking side. A pure transition player. No good for a possession team at all mind.

Nah he was ok enough in possession to be a decent "weakest man" on the ball.

At NUFC he was expected to be the main man on the ball which was his downfall.

IMO I remember him running into blind alleys again and again trying to make stuff happen. Didn't come off often because he wasn't skilful but it's all we had. Him and Janmaat down the right flank. All puff, little end product. Janmaat couldn't defend either.

I remember Thauvin on the left or on the bench or when he came on... he was v. quiet. Got on the ball rarely and did little with it. Sissoko got on the ball loads, did little with it too but at least he tried.

6 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

You literally cited Sissoko making a CL final appearance as justification for your defence of him and then slated Gini W despite him winning it [emoji38].

Aye, because you brought up how Sissoko being in the starting 11 of a relegated Watford team said everything you needed to know about him. I just brought up all the bits you'd missed out. 

Judging them solely on their time here, I thought Sissoko was alright despite his regular big time charlie interviews with the French media (lining up with the way NUFC was sold to him as a stepping stone at the time) but I don't think he went missing, certainly not to the extent that Wijnaldum did anyway. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

5 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Sissoko never hid. I definitely refute that and always think it's revisionist nonsense mistaking playing shite (and looking a bit grumpy) to hiding. He was always fully fit, played every single game, and always gave it his all. It's just that he was not a very creative or refined footballer so relying on him into be your primary outlet in a relegation threatened side is asking for trouble. He was never good enough to be that player.

He became scapegoat for that relegation. While Wijnaldum, who basically downed tools with months left and couldn't get into the side, is looked back upon fondly by NUFC fans for some reason.

This, more or less. Especially the way Wijnaldum's weirdly viewed fondly. 

11 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Aye. 

He got on the ball and attacked his fullback time and again. Tried to make runs off the ball to attack. That was reflected by most of our play coming from his side that season across 2 managers. he was limited in that role and it didn't work more time.

Gini again played in the wrong role. But he didn't get on the ball. That's why I don't look upon him fabourably. He downed tools and couldn't even get in the side.

Both were misused by several managers which isn't their fault. They should've played CM together maybe with a 3rd DM or an AM. That would've given us some dynamism in the middle of the pitch. In time both have shown themselves to be decent professionals that can perform at the highest end of pro football within the right setup.

Edited by The College Dropout