Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

1 hour ago, Barmy Ben Arfa said:

I think ASM is going to have his best season yet next season. 10g 5a in the league territory.

Yeah, gut feel is that ASM's season next year will go one way or t'other.

I think he'll either 'fit' into the Howe way or he'll find himself victim of some tough love and strop off in January having spent weeks in the press moaning.

FWIW, I think he's actually shown far more maturity in his last two performances and seems to be coming around more to the way Howe wants him to play.

I draw some parallels with Kevin Nolan here (and bare with me..................[emoji38], I know, not an example anyone was expecting) but I would always say with Nolan "When he's not scoring he's a fucking pointless body in the 11, you just carry the useless cunt". Whilst ASM isn't quite in that category, I do feel that when he's not providing moments of match winning quality, he's someone we almost carry to an extent.

The question is whether he's worth carrying for those games because of the brilliance he brings in others. I guess the challenge he has (and Howe/the coaching staff) is how we get him to contribute in the games where he's not taking on 9 players and sticking it in the top bins...

Right now, he's either an unbelievable asset or a liability.

We need to get him to the point where he's either an unbelievable asset or a minor contributor who doesn't cost us too much. That's a hard balance to strike with the way he plays the game but I do feel the last two games he's progressed in that direction broadly.

What will be interesting to watch is his reaction to having to slightly alter his game. He's obviously got a bit of history with managers trying to change him/his style (Vieira) so it'll be a test of Howe's man-management as to how ASM comes through next season.

FWIW, I think both KK and SBR would've loved him and provided an environment in which to shine.

Can Howe do that and do that without it being to the detriment of the collective? That's the question....

4 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

Considering Gini fucking Wijnaldum was in the same team, the idea that Sissoko went hiding is laughable like. 

Wijnaldum and Sissoko were our two best players at the time and it was reflected in the fees we got for them. I know they got plenty of stick on here, and I also know they weren't perfect. Sissoko being one of our best players didn't make him a good player for Spurs.

But when you look at the side we had, he was probably one of the few who could actually offer an outlet. Gini was just a good player period, whether he gave 100% is another discussion, but he was easily our best player technically.

Under Benitez, Sissoko was made captain for the run in and played well. Wijnaldum was dropped, he only really turned up at home games that season and even then the home games from February to the end of the season he didn't even bother for bar the final one once we were already down.

Football is constantly changing and I get he impression that Howe tries to keep abreast of those changes and tries to implement them onto his team's. It was interesting what he said when asked if he might play Wood and Wilson together. He said it was highly unlikely because playing with 2 strikers leaves too big a gap behind. It's not that long since everyone played with twin strikers in one form or another. This is my concern with ASM, I'm not convinced that he fits into the modern day top teams. He's a hell of a talent but the days when you could afford to have someone stuck up on the wing just waiting for the ball are long gone. Playing Bruces system suited him to perfection, no responsibility just wait for the ball then off you go.

2 hours ago, jackyboy said:

Football is constantly changing and I get he impression that Howe tries to keep abreast of those changes and tries to implement them onto his team's. It was interesting what he said when asked if he might play Wood and Wilson together. He said it was highly unlikely because playing with 2 strikers leaves too big a gap behind. It's not that long since everyone played with twin strikers in one form or another. This is my concern with ASM, I'm not convinced that he fits into the modern day top teams. He's a hell of a talent but the days when you could afford to have someone stuck up on the wing just waiting for the ball are long gone. Playing Bruces system suited him to perfection, no responsibility just wait for the ball then off you go.

Pretty much the way I see him as well, the same could also apply for Targett albeit for different reasons than it does for ASM

Edited by Nine

2 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Under Benitez, Sissoko was made captain for the run in and played well. Wijnaldum was dropped, he only really turned up at home games that season and even then the home games from February to the end of the season he didn't even bother for bar the final one once we were already down.

Sissoko was made captain because he had a huge influence over the French-speaking lads in the squad. Benitez was trying to get him on side in the hope it’d get all of them in line.

It was also in response to McClaren’s stance of trying to break up the French clique, which had lost him the dressing room.

I do find a lot of the stick ASM has been getting very uncomfortable, people extremely harsh towards him and calling him all sorts.

Even if you are of the opinion you want rid I think it's shitty behaviour towards a guy that has arguably been our best player since he joined. A guy who more than played his part in ensuring we didn't get relegated despite the best efforts of Ashley and Bruce. At least have some appreciation/respect for that.

That aside, I've definitely noticed a change in his game, does seem to look for the option to pass a bit more, whether that is a confidence thing or listening to the managers instructions. 

For me, logic dictates you focus on your weakest positions and replace/strengthen those first, ASM or the LW is not our weakest position so calling for him to be sold is ludicrous. 

I think he'll have a mint season next year and a lot of the people that have went overboard with criticism will be made to look foolish. 

12 hours ago, Barmy Ben Arfa said:

I think ASM is going to have his best season yet next season. 10g 5a in the league territory.

He'll need to work on his shooting to get 10 goals but I also expect much more production next time. 

For the Wilson goal, look at where ASM gets the ball and contrast with where he has normally received it in the past. See also the decoy run to his side.

Kev Lawson the Statsbomb guy reckons ASM hits more dangerous passes, especially cutbacks, when he plays on the right. 

3 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

That's the I don't have an answer, answer👍🏻

ASM is our only wide player in attack.If you expect other players to put more crosses into the box ( chances for other players to score) then I don’t think you realise what the first job of an attacking wide player is.He rarely looks up therefore rarely sees opportunities to play a penetrating pass.I would liked to have seen him given a chance on the right.Would he be more of a team player? That would be his choice..Would he create more chances? That again would be his choice.

Edited by tomlynnherrington

My take on this is that if eddie can get 40-50 million for maxi he will take it. he will spend that money on a pacy winger-come-striker who puts in the defensive shift and is technically superior and able to carry out instructions.

I love ASM going forward and just for the breathtaking ability he has, but football is a team game and if we want to be CONSISTENT we need top class players who are good at all facest of the game.

For example; i was screaming at ASM for the stupid lunge he made allowing the cross to come in for the Burnley goal last week. I bet Eddie was seething... He would have trained it into every player not to go to ground and to stand players up and make life difficult for them. Other more tactically adept players would not have allowed that cross through or would have forced a pass backwards.

21 minutes ago, buzza said:

My take on this is that if eddie can get 40-50 million for maxi he will take it. he will spend that money on a pacy winger-come-striker who puts in the defensive shift and is technically superior and able to carry out instructions.

It'll be interesting to see just how ruthless Howe and club are going to be this summer.

He's got a system, a way he wants the side to play. He came in and immediately dropped Darlow, Ritchie, Lascelles, Clark.  They were poor. More inportantly they are incapable of defending the way that Howe wanted. 

I suspect that Howe thinks he can do better. At the moment I don't think we'll see ASM or Targett next season.

Personally, I like to see a replacement for Fraser and Miggy on right first. 

Edited by gazza ladra

5 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

It'll be interesting to see just how ruthless Howe and club are going to be this summer.

He's got a system, a way he wants the side to play. He came in and immediately dropped Darlow, Ritchie, Lascelles, Clark.  They were poor. More inportantly they are incapable of defending the way that Howe wanted. 

I suspect that Howe thinks he can do better. At the moment I don't think we'll see ASM or Targett next season.

Personally, I like to see a replacement for Fraser and Miggy on right first. 

All 4 of them played in Howe's first game.  Lascelles and Ritchie were regular starters until January. 

ASM won't be going anywhere this summer. This will arguably be the biggest season of his career, he'll be playing with better teammates than he ever has done and in a team actually challenging for something, with a manager who is capable of getting the best from any player.

This is the season for him to get everything started now not the season for him to leave. If he doesn't do it this coming season then fair enough, he can leave but he needs a proper chance to show what he can do in a team competing at a higher level.

Not every player can excel in poor teams, ASM has done at times but he will definitely benefit from the time, space and creativity a much improved Newcastle will bring him.

38 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

All 4 of them played in Howe's first game.  Lascelles and Ritchie were regular starters until January. 

They were moved them aside.

Ritchie was transitioned out in early December. Lewis had a spell of starts. He came back for Man City. That was his last start.

Lascelles was around long enough for a replacement to be found.

Edit: You have a problem with the word "immediately"?  I think he acted as wuickly abd as decisively as possible. 

Edited by gazza ladra

2 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

They wete moved them aside.

Ritchie was transitioned out in early December. Lewis had a spell of starts. He came back for Man City. That was his last start.

Lascelles was around long enough for a replacement to be found.

Yeah thats what Im saying. They weren't immediately dropped.

11 hours ago, tomlynnherrington said:

ASM is our only wide player in attack.If you expect other players to put more crosses into the box ( chances for other players to score) then I don’t think you realise what the first job of an attacking wide player is.He rarely looks up therefore rarely sees opportunities to play a penetrating pass.I would liked to have seen him given a chance on the right.Would he be more of a team player? That would be his choice..Would he create more chances? That again would be his choice.

I don't expect, I posted a stat. I think it was you who expected.

When asked who had created more, you still had no answer, and skirted around with this bullshit.

Unfortunately, however you want to try and dress it up, he is most creative this season, get over yourself. 

Edited by mighty__mag

On 24/05/2022 at 08:15, tomlynnherrington said:

Less than two chances per game created.When you consider how often he gets into positions to create a chance,even by just putting a cross into the danger area.Poor.Very poor.

I think about what you're trying to say here, but, when you say, "how often he gets into positions to create a chance"

From memory, there wasn't enough times from Wilson's injury, that many of our players got into positions where he could deliver, you cant make a pass that's not there?. And the players who should get into the best positions, and read what ASM is doing, need to be switched on, but, they never were.

Probably Wumming, as the account was created at the weekend.

Edited by mighty__mag