Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

3 minutes ago, madras said:

While you were posting that I edited my post to include some others. We both had Carroll.

Yes - and you mention Mike Hooper, who loved pubs so much he worked the doors after quitting as a goalie (and I hope he was a better bouncer than he was a keeper).

Same with Clarkie who you mention - him and Andy Cole missed Wimbledon away in 1993/94 after both spat their dummies out for different reason the week before (Clark infamously tantruming in public at being subbed and kicking a bucket).  Plenty of supporters weren't happy with their acting like cocks and undermining Keegan - though pretty much all the same supporters loved what they did on the pitch every week.

Edited by TheBrownBottle

And there was the story that Keegan and Varadi didn't get on, obviously it was down to Imre sounding a bit of a foreign sounding name.

There's enough of an issue with racism, which seems to be making a comeback, without ascribing it where it isn't.

Edited by madras

Wading into this…

It seems to me that black francophone players get more shit from the English media than any other demographic of professional footballer.

I don’t know if racism is a factor in the way fans think and talk about ASM, but I can certainly understand why someone might suspect that prejudice has had a part. (My experience comes completely from what I read/view  online.)

3 minutes ago, gazza ladra said:

Wading into this…

It seems to me that black francophone players get more shit from the English media than any other demographic of professional footballer.

I don’t know if racism is a factor in the way fans think and talk about ASM, but I can certainly understand why someone might suspect that prejudice has had a part. (My experience comes completely from what I read/view  online.)

Honestly, adding the Francophone part is unnecessary.  Ask Raheem Sterling.

My issue with a lot of these rumours is whenever a player is missing a load of social media attention seekers spot an opportunity to make up a story. ASM is a big player for Newcastle so they can’t resist. They have zero knowledge or insight 

It might be true - but like the transfer rumours these people post a load of shite and every so often a story is right just by chance. 

meanwhile a load of fans go off on one

25 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Naa you are talking bollocks, that’s exactly what you were saying. Some people don’t get the same hard on for a player as you, so you jump right down the random road of it being about his colour. Was a fucking lifting take and no back peddling from you now will change that. 

It's literally there in the post :lol: Describing exactly who I'm on about and nothing in there at all about thinking criticising his game is racial, because funnily enough that's not what I was talking about. You've made that up for yourself so you can be offended.

29 minutes ago, madras said:

Similar tales went round about Bellamy, was that racism ?

Edit.....and Andy Carrol and Lee Clarke and Mike Hooper and at least as far back as Alan Foggon

Eh? The tales about those players were either true or based on previous stuff that had happened :lol: ASM's done nothing but go home and promote a board game.

The main thing I said was about him being a French winger as well, weird that no one has an issue with that being one of the reasons.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Eh? The tales about those players were either true or based on previous stuff that had happened :lol: ASM's done nothing but go home and promote a board game.

The main thing I said was about him being a French winger as well, weird that no one has an issue with that being one of the reasons.

The tales were around before anything was true, that in some cases they turned out to be true gives more power to them.

Racism doesn't have to be along skin colour lines. Did I mention his colour or nationality ? I honestly can't remember but don't think I did.

He's a star player who misses a suspiciously high amount of games it's always going to lead to ITK rumours. 

The only other players we have the fall into the same category of french black wingers are Obertan who I can't remember any stories about and Ben Arfa where they were true. 

Honestly think it's just a case of people wanting to be ITK rather than racist. Dubravaka went out on loan then there's stories about it being because he kicked off and through his gloves at Eddie yet first game back he's starting for us. Just a couple of weeks ago people were claiming Ben White wenr home from the World Cup as he was shagging blokes ffs [emoji38]

57 minutes ago, madras said:

The tales were around before anything was true, that in some cases they turned out to be true gives more power to them.

Racism doesn't have to be along skin colour lines. Did I mention his colour or nationality ? I honestly can't remember but don't think I did.

I really don't think they were tbh.

28 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

He's a star player who misses a suspiciously high amount of games it's always going to lead to ITK rumours. 

The only other players we have the fall into the same category of french black wingers are Obertan who I can't remember any stories about and Ben Arfa where they were true. 

Honestly think it's just a case of people wanting to be ITK rather than racist. Dubravaka went out on loan then there's stories about it being because he kicked off and through his gloves at Eddie yet first game back he's starting for us. Just a couple of weeks ago people were claiming Ben White wenr home from the World Cup as he was shagging blokes ffs [emoji38]

Thought he was pounding some lass in a car TBF.

I didn’t think anything of the rumours yesterday, but I also doubt he’s got a future here. His status outweighs his contribution and he hasn’t really been involved in our best form, so I doubt Howe see’s him as very important. I hope he gets a run in the team and plays well before the end of the season, but I don’t have much confidence in it happening and a purple LW should be a priority this window for me. I’m not sure where this leaves me on the BNP scale, in my defence I would take a LW of any ethnic background.

I think he gets SOME shit because he doesn't work as hard as other players on the pitch, because he's regularly injured, often inconsistent, hogs the ball a bit too much and has (probably) a couple of minor disciplinary issues.

But let's be clear, there's not a player who was here under the previous regime who I haven't at some point question the future of.

26 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I really don't think they were tbh.

They DEFINITELY were.  Everyone on Tyneside knew about Gillespie's gambling habits, Dyer's proclivities and Bellamy's long list of wanker behaviour.   They were pretty much open secrets - which were 'confirmed' by the men themselves in mea culpas years later.

18 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

I didn’t think anything of the rumours yesterday, but I also doubt he’s got a future here. His status outweighs his contribution and he hasn’t really been involved in our best form, so I doubt Howe see’s him as very important. I hope he gets a run in the team and plays well before the end of the season, but I don’t have much confidence in it happening and a purple LW should be a priority this window for me. I’m not sure where this leaves me on the BNP scale, in my defence I would take a LW of any ethnic background.

I think the BNP hate left wingers generally, though especially foreign and / or POC left wingers

1 hour ago, WilliamPS said:

My issue with a lot of these rumours is whenever a player is missing a load of social media attention seekers spot an opportunity to make up a story. ASM is a big player for Newcastle so they can’t resist. They have zero knowledge or insight 

It might be true - but like the transfer rumours these people post a load of shite and every so often a story is right just by chance. 

meanwhile a load of fans go off on one

Couldn't agree more. Most of this story has come from some idiot posting a load of shit on twitter, the cesspit of the internet. 

2 hours ago, gazza ladra said:

Wading into this…

The English media are shit houses full stop and definitely xenophobic, but we do have a lot of French players in our game who are black so when they do get some stick it’s going to skewer things. I’ve been to France loads, and it’s a far more xenophobic and racist country, not that these things should be excused here in the U.K. ASM doesn’t get stick because he’s French and black or one of the two, it’s because, as I’ve said, fans know how good he can be and are desperate for him to show it all the time, every game and let’s face it he’s meant to be one of best players so the expectation level is say higher than it is with a Longstaff. Most of the ranting is mainly online anyway, at the game he’s massively supported as are all the players.

Edited by King HTT III

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

They DEFINITELY were.  Everyone on Tyneside knew about Gillespie's gambling habits, Dyer's proclivities and Bellamy's long list of wanker behaviour.   They were pretty much open secrets - which were 'confirmed' by the men themselves in mea culpas years later.

I'm saying the stories weren't there before the truth was known, because the stories themselves were true. The stuff about ASM is based on nothing.

Nobody was subjected to anywhere near as much as this as Gascoigne.

Made up stories, constant assessing his performances, mentality.

Even though before the internet age it still completely dwarfs anything ASM is getting.

Be hard pressed to find a eratic, creative player that hasn't been subjected to this.

Nowt in this xenophobic line.