Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Can’t think of a single game against a low block where his style of play has been particularly effective. He still smashes his counterpart on the left to pieces but nothing tends to come of it due to how packed the other bodies are. He is doubled and tripled up on in those games. That should mean there is space for other players but either because of their numbers in defence or because of Maxi’s difficulty picking out a player with a clever pass it doesn’t come to much. I’m not criticising the lad per se as breaking down a low block is ridiculously difficult and it’s not down to one player to do it but I don’t think he’s the answer there. You need a dribbler that goes beyond his man and keeps going, not someone who goes beyond, slows down, cuts back, goes again, cuts back and then picks out a pass. Personally think Isak is our best player against a low block 

2 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

Miggy's give and go's tend to be better at getting in behind. It doesn't seem to be something that ASM attempts for whatever reason. 

That's because he doesn't want to give it once he's got it.

Just now, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

Miggy's give and go's tend to be better at getting in behind. It doesn't seem to be something that ASM attempts for whatever reason. 

Teams clocking onto it in the second half of the season and mostly nullified it. 

The one-footedness of Almiron makes him one-dimensional to defend against.

I've not seen it used to much effect but I've liked how Gordon can use his left foot. Potentially, he could be useful on either flank. One of his issues is that he's not much cop 1v1 and hasn't developed any relationships with others.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

Teams clocking onto it in the second half of the season and mostly nullified it. 

The one-footedness of Almiron makes him one-dimensional to defend against.

I've not seen it used to much effect but I've liked how Gordon can use his left foot. Potentially, he could be useful on either flank. One of his issues is that he's not much cop 1v1 and hasn't developed any relationships with others.

Miggy's weakness is his one-footedness though, what we are talking about here is the give-and-go aspect. He's very good at that, ASM is not.

6 minutes ago, Smal said:

The above is also why I'd like to see Howe try him on the right. I think he'd be less predictable against a low block there and would combine really well with Trippier. 

I think Trippier would be frustrated as fuck. One of his main strengths is the first time cross when Almiron or whoever has rolled the ball back to him with a bit of space. ASM doesn't strike me as someone who'd use that as an outlet to the same effect.

Just now, TRon said:

Miggy's weakness is his one-footedness though, what we are talking about here is the give-and-go aspect. He's very good at that, ASM is not.

No doubt he's good at it but teams clocked it. And his one-footedness makes the entire routine pretty predictable. When the ball comes back to him, he's going to run around the ball to use his left foot again. You can mitigate a 1-2 better than a 1v1 dribbler.

And aye, that's not a strength of ASM. Although, at times, he showed some nice link-up with Isak & Gordon.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

I think Trippier would be frustrated as fuck. One of his main strengths is the first time cross when Almiron or whoever has rolled the ball back to him with a bit of space. ASM doesn't strike me as someone who'd use that as an outlet to the same effect.

Trippier spends half the game coaching Almirón through it. I'm sure he'd do it with ASM too.

I'd be totally happy if he's here and I'd love to see him play in the Champions League for us. Other than the ravings of one person I don't think anyone is suggesting he's not good or must be sold at any cost. But if we accept we have some FFP related budget limitations and that we could get £30-35M for him are you taking the ASM side in any of these...?

• ASM or Tierney - Same price, both with availability issues; give me the LB with a higher ceiling
  • ASM + £5-10M or Maddison - Maddison for me
  • ASM or Arda Guler + £15M - Guler's world class potential

Obviously we could keep ASM and do a number of deals anyway, but selling him would unlock something. And if selling him gets us either a player with more potential or a player that Howe feels better fits our system then it'd be silly not to do it.

The best of the front three (when faced with a low block) is whichever one has the best relationship with Bruno or Trippier, because they're the real door-unlockers in that scenario. That's why the answer is Miggy really, even if the net increase still isn't that great because of how one dimensional/one-footed he is in possession. 

Ultimately the point is that, if we're searching for reasons not to accept a hypothetical £30million offer for Maxi; "we need him in those games against a low block" isn't really a valid reason imo. 

2 minutes ago, Smal said:

Trippier spends half the game coaching Almirón through it. I'm sure he'd do it with ASM too.

Would be a great outlet if he could. As well as the hunting in threes that Almiron, Longstaff and Trippier do when teams try and break the press down that side. 

I just think we're going to sign a worldie this summer and he'll get frustrated sitting on the bench that's all. For that reason I think he's the most saleable asset. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

No doubt he's good at it but teams clocked it. And his one-footedness makes the entire routine pretty predictable. When the ball comes back to him, he's going to run around the ball to use his left foot again. You can mitigate a 1-2 better than a 1v1 dribbler.

And aye, that's not a strength of ASM. Although, at times, he showed some nice link-up with Isak & Gordon.

Teams can't clock the give and go, it's the one-footedness they can defend against. Two separate things. Also Miggy's not the best striker of the ball so they know 85% of the time they only have to block the curl into the far corner with his left foot.

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

My only issue with ASM is his fitness. It's extremely frustrating seeing him come in for 2 games, start to look like he's getting form back, then missing the next 5 through injury.

That shouldn’t frustrate you. Just have a stronger squad and manage his fitness. He could literally be the most dangerous substitute in the league at least. Now that you can swap 5 players the emphasis on substitutes is even greater and their playing time much greater with EH asking the players to empty the tanks until nothing left.

Anyway I’ve made it clear for months I’d keep him. At least for 12 months more. It have to be silly money on the table for him to let him go heading into this season. Which I don’t think there is in current financial climate.

Gotta trust the process whatever happens.

1 minute ago, LFEE said:

That shouldn’t frustrate you. Just have a stronger squad and manage his fitness. He could literally be the most dangerous substitute in the league at least. Now that you can swap 5 players the emphasis on substitutes is even greater and their playing time much greater with EH asking the players to empty the tanks until nothing left.

Anyway I’ve made it clear for months I’d keep him. At least for 12 months more. It have to be silly money on the table for him to let him go heading into this season. Which I don’t think there is in current financial climate.

Think Maxi is going be happy with:

PL: Apps 11 (25), 2 goals, 2 assists

Edited by Optimistic Nut

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Ultimately the point is that, if we're searching for reasons not to accept a hypothetical £30million offer for Maxi; "we need him in those games against a low block" isn't really a valid reason imo. 

aye.

The best argument for keeping him is that he's a totally different winger to what we've got and has proven he can cause massive problems against the big teams. We're going to be playing a few more of those big teams next season. 

He needs to stay fit, but honestly him saying on his Insta that he's "lost important people" this season could explain a lot of his absences. It might explain why he supposedly had a hamstring injury but was sprinting around in the south of France. It might explain why he was missing with covid. etc. 

most of the discussion has been based around what he offers on the pitch, which is fair enough of course, as that's all we really get to see.

but what if (like some people have suspected all along) he's a total nightmare behind the scenes? regularly kicks up a fuss, ignores coaches/staff advice, and is generally just a moody arsehole? would people be happier shifting him knowing that was the case?

because not to get all ITK, but I've heard first hand (from sources inside the club) that's he's all of those things above and more. he's really not well liked. so I wouldn't be surprised at all if we're cutting our losses, despite what he can do on the pitch. and he's been told we're finding him a new club.

:lol: sorry to make one of those posts, but there you go. don't shot the messenga

21 minutes ago, LFEE said:

It does, because we haven't. Simple as that.

15 minutes ago, Big River said:

most of the discussion has been based around what he offers on the pitch, which is fair enough of course, as that's all we really get to see.

but what if (like some people have suspected all along) he's a total nightmare behind the scenes? regularly kicks up a fuss, ignores coaches/staff advice, and is generally just a moody arsehole? would people be happier shifting him knowing that was the case?

because not to get all ITK, but I've heard first hand (from sources inside the club) that's he's all of those things above and more. he's really not well liked. so I wouldn't be surprised at all if we're cutting our losses, despite what he can do on the pitch. and he's been told we're finding him a new club.

:lol: sorry to make one of those posts, but there you go. don't shot the messenga

Gotta be the biggest load of BS I've heard. 

Never ever seen him be stroppy, but Gordon only here five minutes and he's already thrown his toys out of the pram after being subbed.

Eddie Howe always speaks highly of Saint-Maximin, his relationship with Isak is pretty obvious also.

Who's your inside source Heron [emoji38]

Edited by mighty__mag

14 minutes ago, Big River said:

That would be a shame, would only vindicate what Vieiera said about him when he was in France. But if it's true, then I'd happily sell him for a decent fee.

4 hours ago, Barnes23 said:

Not sure why it's an absolute necessity for us to make a major sale this summer on FFP grounds. 

Don't think any of us know the full extent of what will be financially possible and what won't, or the finer details of FFP, but qualifying for the CL will afford us considerable leeway. Especially as we know the intention isn't to overhaul the squad, but bring in quality in a select number of positions. None of the targets I've seen credibly mentioned so far are really out of step in terms of budget or wages. 

People keep saying qualifying for CL will give us considerable funds but we only get around £16m - the rest is earned on matches won etc.

qualifying as a one off isn’t gonna turn us into Man City spending overnight and FFP isn’t just lip service. It is real so if people think we can keep just buying over and over then their in for a shock.

Just now, Gawalls said:

People keep saying qualifying for CL will give us considerable funds but we only get around £16m - the rest is earned on matches won etc.

qualifying as a one off isn’t gonna turn us into Man City spending overnight and FFP isn’t just lip service. It is real so if people think we can keep just buying over and over then their in for a shock.

CL value is worth more over the long term. It immediately raises our profile so we'll be worth more in sponsorships, more fans getting on board so more shirt sales etc. It's not just about the initial payoff. Obviously the more consistently we qualify the more it compounds, but even one season will have a massive impact.

1 minute ago, TRon said:

CL value is worth more over the long term. It immediately raises our profile so we'll be worth more in sponsorships, more fans getting on board so more shirt sales etc. It's not just about the initial payoff. Obviously the more consistently we qualify the more it compounds, but even one season will have a massive impact.

You've got to imagine we can use it to bolster our Saudi interest too, and thus create more dodgy Saudi sponsorship deals to boost our income further.

5 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

Gotta be the biggest load of BS I've heard. 

Never ever seen him be stroppy, but Gordon only here five minutes and he's already thrown his toys out of the pram after being subbed.

Eddie Howe always speaks highly of Saint-Maximin, his relationship with Isak is pretty obvious also.

Who's your inside source Heron [emoji38]

would be a bit of a strange thing for me to make up, but hey, I'm not going to argue with you. believe whatever you want!

Just now, SEMTEX said:

You've got to imagine we can use it to bolster our Saudi interest too, and thus create more dodgy Saudi sponsorship deals to boost our income further.

Yep. Not to mention other middle eastern countries like Egypt, UAE are pretty crazy about football so we could pick up quite a few fans in that part of the world. Maybe not in Iran though.