Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

9 minutes ago, Nowhere Man said:

I’m sure we could scrape together £25M without selling a vital asset to the team. 

Yes. Or simply don't buy Barnes. You have just buy Gordon and he has similar characteristics. ASM is a unique player. A player with the dribbling and skills of ASM is perfect for the CL, especially if you arrive in the knockout stages. 

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

But aren't we a fair way off breaking any FFP rules? Like we could spend £100m and still be fine, just obviously less in the pot going forward without improving our finantial situation some way?

According to Mr Maguire who is really good on anything FFP we have loads of wiggle room left.

The club are really smart with the way they use the local media. They've been laying the groundwork for this for weeks with the "we need to sell to buy" line.

I don't think it's beyond the realms of possiblity that we just want rid and are using it as an excuse to sell a fan favourite with minimal fuss.

2 hours ago, St1pe said:

If that fee is as low as reported - some saying £25m - then I don’t think it’s unfair to question whether PIF’s project with us is now lower in the pecking order than the Saudi league.

I agree. AFAIK there are no fair market value rules for transfer income. PIF could quite easily spend as much as they wanted to on acquiring ASM for one of their Saudi teams and effectively render FFP a non issue for NUFC. In fact, if Maxi is willing to go to SA it seems a bit of no-brainer to put a very high price tag on him. So it’s going to give us and them some flack for a while? It’s not like there isn’t undue criticism already whatever they do and the league/other clubs have gone out of their way to handcuff our potential by means of introducing ridiculous rules restricting our potential to trade and grow the club as out owners see fit. We need to use any loophole we can. 

Guest reefatoon
23 minutes ago, Nowhere Man said:

I’m sure we could scrape together £25M without selling a vital asset to the team. 

Well obviously we can’t. Where can you scrape this £25M from? Who is on the for sale list for you and who are the clubs willing to offer all this money for them? 

You can only do business with clubs that want to do business with you. It’s fantasy land thinking we can just bring in money on players nobody wants.

Edited by reefatoon

Agree. This is about increasing opportunities in future windows, not just a short term gain, in order to buy, Barnes. We aren’t near the FFP limit, this is just exploiting an opportunity to sell a fringe asset, who doesn’t want to be at the club, and who isn’t wanted by the manager. Best for all parties involved this outcome

13 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

How does this actually play out at PIF HQ? :lol:

Is it like a game of Monopoly?

Al-Rumayyan swapping between his NUFC and Al-Ahli blazers while emailing himself.

Someone made a great post a while back about how clubs are all working smarter these days, hence less British PFMs stinking up the league nowadays. Even Championship clubs are looking at some of our wasters like

maxresdefault.jpg

26 minutes ago, Toon88 said:

Just want him sold now, and for us to move on. He’ll be forgotten rather quickly, as we have superior players now, who are more effective. People are just stuck in the Ashley/Bruce era.

ASM clearly wanted to leave, the club and manager wanted him sold, and it helps us massively with FFP. Not sure what people need to discuss. It’s best for all parties involved.

Not sure if I’ve missed something but where has the line that he ‘clearly’ wants to leave come from?

4 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Surely you can understand why our aim isn't to hit the FFP limit though? 

Ofcourse, as I said before, it would be a dumb thing to do. 

But the situation isn't that we are capped for FFP and can't sign Barnes. If we thought he would be useful to us, it would be even better to sell him next year. 

Reasons to keep Maxi:

• IF he can stay fit for even 75% of the season, he's a different type of player to what we have, and on his day unplayable. A player you pay to see. On his day.
  • IF in those games when he does play he actually performs to anywhere close to his ability.

Reasons to sell Maxi:

• His "on" days are about 3-4 per season.
  • He is injured far too regularly.
  • He contributed next to nothing last season in our best season in 25 years, and we played very exciting football without him.
  • He can be replaced by a player who scored more goals in one season for a relegated team, than Maxi has in his entire time here.
  • He can be replaced by a player who has a good fitness record.
  • He can be replaced by a player who is English, contributes to our homegrown quota, and at a good age with room to develop.
  • He isn't the most popular figure in the dressing room, and is notoriously not easy to manage.
  • And lastly, it gives us some extra wiggle room with FFP.

Seems pretty simple to me. The only slight problem I have with it is the reported fee... it's about £5m-£10m too low.

Other than that, makes perfect sense.

2 hours ago, St1pe said:

If that fee is as low as reported - some saying £25m - then I don’t think it’s unfair to question whether PIF’s project with us is now lower in the pecking order than the Saudi league.

Tell you what might complicate matters, if another club - say one from Italy - had put a bid in for £25m. Then you would have a price point to compare to, and it might be difficult for us to sell to a Saudi club for £50m. There was talk of interest from one of the italian clubs wasn't there?

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

Where's this from?

His popularity... directly from two current players.

And the "difficult to manage" stuff has been well documented throughout his entire time here (and before). He's regularly late for training etc etc.

I thought the likes of Miggy and Murphy would have been sold long before Maxi.

But its time to move him on. Swapping Maxi for Barnes is possibly a sideways move in the short term but long term it makes sense.

Also maybe a sign that the clurb wont fuck about selling popular players in the future.

For me whatever happens with the Maxi situation, and whether or not Barnes is coming in, I am going to trust the people making the decisions and back those decisions. After all the people who are making the decisions know a lot more about the whys and wherefores than we ever will.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Tell you what might complicate matters, if another club - say one from Italy - had put a bid in for £25m. Then you would have a price point to compare to, and it might be difficult for us to sell to a Saudi club for £50m. There was talk of interest from one of the italian clubs wasn't there?

Why would that make it difficult to sell to another club for a higher fee? Is there any precedent for a league not allowing an outgoing transfer because the fee was higher than someone else’s lowball offer? I think people are confusing the fair market value rules for commercial deals with transfer revenue where there are no such rules.

We’d better get >50m

14 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

We're allegedly selling him to improve our FFP capacity. Barnes always looked like a pre-emptive replacement.

But if the reported €25m fee for ASM is true, abig chunk of that will go to fund Barnes at £35m+. We would have about ~£10m worth of book value left after signing Barnes, but probably less than that after factoring in wages for Barnes and the new player.

It might allow us to sign other players for £40-50m at best, I don't think that's anywhere near enough for selling what has been one of our best players since he came here. Especially not when selling in this market, where players have gone for absolutely insane money to Saudi.

5 minutes ago, Shadow Puppets said:

His popularity... directly from two current players.

And the "difficult to manage" stuff has been well documented throughout his entire time here (and before). He's regularly late for training etc etc.

Which two players don't like him? He always seems pretty popular to me