Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Don't want to keep banging this drum, but the two goals down the right with interchanges between Miggy and Trippier are exactly the sort of thing you don't get on the left with the solo dribbling efforts of St Max. Granted Targett isn't Trippier, but we have to work out a way to get some more collective play going on down Maxi's side.

He just isn’t a good fit any more, team mates don’t even seem to pass to him now unless he is a counter attack option or we are pressing around the box.

Murphy received more passes

On 25/07/2022 at 19:06, STM said:

I don't think there is anything mystical about ASM and his future.

I'm sure Howe sees it clearly too. He understands how good ASM can be, I'm sure he also understands where the squad is at right now and the fact we can't afford to lose our best creative outlet (without a serious replacement).

So for the time being ASM is a key part of our squad and Howe will work him to the bone to try and get him doing all the things he wants him to do on the football pitch.

Time changes everything though. This season is not only key to ASMs future at NUFC but also his future in football. By this time next year, we will know whether he's the elite player he claims he is or whether he's another decent but flawed winger.

My instinct, and it's just my opinion, is that ASM won't like the workload that Howe puts on him and wont like the restraints he has on the pitch. In 12 months time, he will look for a move and won't get the move he wants.

I think this is a pivotal season for me. Like you I envisage him leaving next summer and a replacement coming in but it’ll be interesting to see what happens this season.

Tbf, when he picks the ball up, he's usually looking to get a shot off at the end of his run anyway. He's not really looking to put anyone else in unless he gets blocked off completely.

I can't stand stats like that, not least because they often backfire and hint at the opposite of what they're trying to prove. 

eg high up in terms of carries to shot involvements paired with low assists and goals suggests towards a player having no end product. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

The more I think about how we play i.e. high press and highly organised positioning, the less I think that maxi fits our model.

He just doesn´t seem to have it in him to press, tackle or at least block the passing angles. At the moment he is a luxury at the expense of the other ten on the pitch.

Love him when he is attacking with the ball at feet

Hate him when the opposition right back or winger has the ball and he is STROLLING towards them

13 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Imagine selling ASM with Almiron, Murphy and Fraser as back up. It would be insanity.

Would be but if it meant Barnes coming i'd be for it. Plus a purchase of a right winger also.

I’ve definitely noticed him tracking back a lot more and attempting tackles near our penalty box more than ever this preseason.

Not that he’s effective at it but he’s def trying :lol: