Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

2 minutes ago, KaKa said:

We are already looking for a winger on the other side ... if we sell ASM (which we won't), we will then be looking for two wingers. One for each side.

And given how much we're struggling to bring just one in (and a striker) I wouldn't have much faith that they'd both be upgrades on ASM or whose already here.

But it won't happen. I hope. :lol:

Edited by HaydnNUFC

1 minute ago, xLiaaamx said:

Yeah, we can't sign one winger, let alone two [emoji38]

To be fair I think it is proving more difficult on that right hand side, because they appear to be leaning towards getting a left footer that can cut in, and there aren't as many of those available. Think it would be far easier to find a right footed left winger.

If ASM is to leave we need to have a replacement signed before we let him go anywhere. Hopefully we're not stupid enough to put ourselves into a bad position for fucking Spurs or Chelsea.

Howe mentioned lately how we actually do have a little depth up top as ASM can play centrally to, although I personally think he’s absolutely dogshit playing through the middle (Cambridge) it seems like Howe may try and utilise him in more than just his LW position. 

1 minute ago, Nine said:

Howe mentioned lately how we actually do have a little depth up top as ASM can play centrally to, although I personally think he’s absolutely dogshit playing through the middle (Cambridge) it seems like Howe may try and utilise him in more than just his LW position. 

Christ I hope not, he’s absolutely shit through the middle.

The source for this 'story' is the following paragraph from Chris Waugh's article in the Athletic:

Tottenham Hotspur, Chelsea and a few European sides are thought to have made tentative enquiries via intermediaries, hoping to land the Frenchman for a knockdown price, seemingly anticipating the wealth of Newcastle’s owners would lead to a spending spree and to Saint-Maximin becoming surplus to requirements. But Newcastle would only have countenanced selling Saint-Maximin for a fee well in excess of £40million ($48m), which would have been reinvested into their squad.

This then got regurgitated by the Sun, then regurgitated by Scott Wilson at the Echo, then picked up by Chelsea and Spurs accounts on Twitter. It's complete nonsense. 

27 minutes ago, Mikky said:

I don’t see how Chelsea are interested when they have bought Sterling for that role 

Spurs is a no no 

It's clear and obvious bullshit. People will end up arguing about selling him when it isn't happening.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1644315/Chelsea-transfer-news-Allan-Saint-Maximin-Newcastle-Premier-League/amp

This is the beginning of how a minority of foolish supporters, help the media drum up speculation, if he was sold, it would be the same old fools then wishing he hadn't left.

Even when he was struggling, people forget how he literally carried the team under Bruce, no wonder it finally caught up with him and he had an inbetween spell.

He's a huge player for us, and that's shown if the likes of Chelsea and Spurs are sniffing.

This stinks of the same plebs who jumped on HBA, when Pardew wanted him tracking back etc, these special players aren't designed for that, you have to make exceptions with some individuals, he's bagged 5 goals and 5 assists and been top of some of the charts across Europe for chances created etc, and that's him having an off season from being exhausted from time under Bruce, and teams knowing how dangerous he is so putting 3 players on him.

If that's the case, teams double and treble up, which it was a lot of the time, then that's not his fault, it's the players and partly Howe who I never want to criticise because he's class, but he should have spotted this and used adjustments where teams are wasting 3 players on one of ours? This would never happen to Sala because if you put three on Sala Liverpool would expose the opposition. We just dont have the personnel right now to allow ASM to show his full capability, until we secure an equal threat on the right side this shite agenda on him needs to end.

Edited by mighty__mag

3 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

This would never happen to Sala because if you put three on Sala Liverpool would expose the opposition

Because they'd likely get stung off the equally skillful mane/Diaz/firmino.

If this transfer window delivers any decent forward players then the hope is that this season, teams can't overload maxi as it would leave an equally dangerous player free.

ASM needs this season with hopefully better players around him before a decision could be made on whether he fits in our plans going forward. He's spent a long time at nufc being 'The' player having to deal with inferior quality around him, although that's not always been the reason for his lack of output.

Big season for the lad I reckon.

How many goals and chances would team mates have scored and made if he’d released the ball earlier and to players in better positions? I agree it’s a big season for the lad.We all know he has talent,but NOW he needs to realise that this applies to other players.

Edited by tomlynnherrington

4 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

This stinks of the same plebs who jumped on HBA, when Pardew wanted him tracking back etc, these special players aren't designed for that, you have to make exceptions with some individuals, he's bagged 5 goals and 5 assists and been top of some of the charts across Europe for chances created etc, and that's him having an off season from being exhausted from time under Bruce, and teams knowing how dangerous he is so putting 3 players on him.

Howe will want his wingers to defend from the front though.

It does Maxi no favours when he's visibly sulky after losing the ball, sitting on the floor instead of getting up and blocking off a passing line or applying pressure to their player in possession.

He doesn't necessarily need to track back. But SJP would go crackers if he showed more determinination off the ball and contributed more to the opposition losing the ball in their half.

Pardew was playing awful football whilst also depriving us of the only form of excitement we could get on a matchday. HBA contributed far more in possession outside of rinsing fullbacks. I get the comparison but they don't really fit imo.

I love Maxi like, I really want him to adjust and become a part of Howe's team properly.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

I’m also a Maxi fan and really want him to develop further here and become the best player he can be. I have to admit I’m worried about the fact that the things he messes up, weight of pass and not reading the game are not simple things for him to change. I’d say that he often messes up his weight of pass to teammates and while he can work on that in training, it’s odd that it’s as poor as it is given his age and how much football he’s played in his life. With reading the game I feel that’s much harder to change and maybe it’s linked to why his passes to teammates are often poorly weighted and not perfectly directed as he isn’t good at anticipating how others on the pitch want to receive the ball. Still, I’m happy to get behind him this season and really hope he can improve in these areas and mainly make better decisions without losing too much of his flair. 

One thing that does annoy me though is how he takes issue with being fouled. When we played Munich the other day he looked massively affronted after being taken out once. This happens in every single match and he just has to accept that it’s part of the game and not get wound up about it 

He does my head in at times but I wouldn’t ever want to sell him.

He’s essentially a wild card, something you can’t plan for, either for the team he plays for or when trying to plan tactics when playing against us.

The top 6 teams will all hate playing against him for those reasons, just the pure unpredictability.. which version of him will show up, there’s the one that will repeatedly lose the ball in the middle of the pitch and looking like a sulk is nearby, or there’s the one that’s basically unplayable, beating 3/4 players with ease etc.

1 hour ago, tomlynnherrington said:

How many goals and chances would team mates have scored and made if he’d released the ball earlier and to players in better positions? I agree it’s a big season for the lad.We all know he has talent,but NOW he needs to realise that this applies to other players.

Barely any...I've seen plenty of times where he laid it off to wood, almiron, Murphy, Joelinton etc and they all fucked up a goalscoring chance. 

Whenever I saw it I understood more why he sometimes feels the need to go it alone because the likelihood of one of the others doing anything was slim to none. 

When he plays with Wilson he gives him good assists and if we get a player of equal quality on the right then he will have more space to work in.

Guest reefatoon

“He had a poor second half of the season because he was exhausted from playing for Bruce” [emoji38] [emoji38]

Fucking hell, that’s some clutching. [emoji38]