Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

I get the distinct sense that he’s not trusted defensively, and currently team defence is so crucial to what we’re doing that he won’t get more minutes without improving. It’s a difficult one, he’s so talented and productive at times, really hope it can be worked out.

1 minute ago, Theregulars said:

I get the distinct sense that he’s not trusted defensively, and currently team defence is so crucial to what we’re doing that he won’t get more minutes without improving. It’s a difficult one, he’s so talented and productive at times, really hope it can be worked out.

It’s not a sense, Murphy coming on instead of him against arsenal pretty much confirmed it.

4 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

It’s not a sense, Murphy coming on instead of him against arsenal pretty much confirmed it.

Semantics really, but yes this contributed to that sense. With that said, Murphy is the RW back up and Maxi the current LW backup, so Maxi wasn’t coming on for Miggy. 

I think Isak takes that LW forward position in the next few weeks. ASM will possibly be used against a low block at home and as in impact sub away but I think that’s his role now. The way we play, organised and pressing from the front I just don’t see him starting regularly moving forwards. 

A more conventional left back who has pace to cover fast wingers and Joelinton covering left midfield might change things slightly in terms of him starting more but I think he’s gone in the summer. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

Just now, ExiledGeordie said:

I think Isak takes that LW forward position in the next few weeks. ASM will possibly be used against a low block at home and as in impact sub away but I think that’s his role now. They we play, organised and pressing from the front I just don’t see him starting regularly moving forwards. 

A more conventional left back who has pace to cover fast wingers and Joelinton covering left midfield might change things slightly in terms of him starting more but I think he’s gone in the summer. 

If they have fallen out, you would assume he would be available for transfer now.

5 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

If they have fallen out, you would assume he would be available for transfer now.

I don’t necessarily think or know if they’ve fallen out, I just think how the team is evolving might not include him moving forwards. I still like him as a player. 

Would be a real shame if his time here ended with some bad blood. He’s box office and our most exciting player. Just seems through his own fitness or style and constant injuries. He has never really got a run under Howe. 

Been doing great without him. So he’s not come back in or been trusted to start. 

Think we’ll be needing him or someone with some similar attributes for the second half of the season. Plenty of teams will frustrate the fuck out of us and we still look a bit toothless attacking from open play at times. 

37 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not sure him being on the bench today signals the end, he may well be being kept for the Leicester game which is a the bigger game.

Hoping this is the case, should he be on the bench later. 

2 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Would be a real shame if his time here ended with some bad blood. He’s box office and our most exciting player. Just seems through his own fitness or style and constant injuries. He has never really got a run under Howe. 

Been doing great without him. So he’s not come back in or been trusted to start. 

Think we’ll be needing him or someone with some similar attributes for the second half of the season. Plenty of teams will frustrate the fuck out of us and we still look a bit toothless attacking from open play at times. 

Definitely need him and Isak against a low block Leeds type situation. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see him moved on in the summer, no chance we let him go this month unless it's a ridiculous offer, regardless if there has been a bust up. 

When we see him come on lately I feel like he's lost something, he doesn't seem as confident in running at people as he used to, always seems to pull it back rather than going direct.  Quite often we see him hug the line (literally stand on it waiting for a pass) rather than run down the line and in behind.  Not sure if it's a symptom of the instructions he's given or just lack of confidence/disinterest. 

I'd like to see it work for him here but doesn't look like it'll happen at this point. 

Edited by Wilson

Off the ball he’s been much better under Howe, on the ball less so. If he wants to be a top player he needs to combine both. I’m not fussed if we let him go or keep him, I trust Howe and I do think we can bring in someone better.

Edited by King HTT III

49 minutes ago, Theregulars said:

Yeh, I've always wondered why we got linked with so many left wingers so I think there's something in this too. 

I think he's noticably changed in the last four-five cameos he's had, and seems to be constantly looking to pass it.

For that reason, I am hesitant to believe any "oh he's just a selfish bastard who won't buy into Howe ball" type stories people come up with. His appearances on the pitch make it look like he's buying into it. I suspect the main injury he's had this season was caused by him running back 80 yards for that disallowed Wolves goal where play should have stopped with the blatant push. Running back the length of the pitch is also "buying into it".

I would also expect Howe to have the personal skills to explain to ASM why he wasn't first sub on at Arsenal, a game where we were clearly set up not to lose. ASM may not be part of the system Howe ultimately wants to impose, but for the time being, I still think he has a big role to play.

I reckon his nose is out of joint not being an automatic starter when fit like

Even at the end of that arsenal game when they were clapping the away fans he looked like he'd rather be anywhere else than there.

1 minute ago, jack j said:

I reckon his nose is out of joint not being an automatic starter when fit like

Even at the end of that arsenal game when they were clapping the away fans he looked like he'd rather be anywhere else than there.

And there’s this 😁

image.thumb.jpeg.526a6da965051b6e4d32c0eabf91f4bb.jpeg

Maxi is  not the kiddie anymore

He was brilliant against City, like. As we're we on the whole so I don't fully buy into that we can't function properly as a team with him in it. With Joe on the left of the midfield and Burn staying back that's still fairly solid. He does seem to be trying to change his game to fit our style as well. 

The story could well be true but there's always people trying to jump to conclusions about him being moody or kicking off behind the scenes.