Allan Saint-Maximin (now playing for Al-Ahli)

Disco

Posters here tripping all over themselves claiming ASM is "one is the most exciting wingers in Europe". 

He is not even the most exciting in his own team. I don't get excited watching him on the bench or physio table.

You can whine all you want at 30m but if it's so low surely one of the other 14 teams would be all over that. But they are not. 

Same as the Barnes discussion. If it was the other way around and we had Barnes already, someone truthfully tell me that Howe would spend 50m buying ASM as an upgrade. He wouldn't. He doesn't fit his system as well. 

We got other posters saying he deserves champions league football. What? Deserve? What did he contribute to finishing 4th? Lascelles contributed more from the bench with a couple of yellow cards.

ASM is fine. I'd keep him as a squad player. Even split games and rotate. Would never pay 50m for him. And apparently neither does any other club in the league or they would be knocking our doors down if he was as good as some here claim. 

4 minutes ago, GideonShandy said:

How does the "player wages" factor help?

ASM is supposedly on 40,000 quid per week (2million a year)

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/newcastle-united-fc/allan-saint-maximin-32735/#:~:text=Current Contract,cap hit of £2%2C000%2C000.

I imagine we'll be paying Barnes considerably more than that.

I imagine Barnes will get 4-5m a year.

Probably looking at £35m so around £12m a year if he's on a 5 year deal.

Ugh this is fucking shite. Fee is nowhere near good enough IMO, and Barnes feels like such an underwhelming replacement. He will score goals and get assists, but he's not a player that excites me at all, basically the complete opposite of ASM. 

4 minutes ago, NobbySolano said:

Posters here tripping all over themselves claiming ASM is "one is the most exciting wingers in Europe". 

He is not even the most exciting in his own team. I don't get excited watching him on the bench or physio table.

You can whine all you want at 30m but if it's so low surely one of the other 14 teams would be all over that. But they are not. 

Same as the Barnes discussion. If it was the other way around and we had Barnes already, someone truthfully tell me that Howe would spend 50m buying ASM as an upgrade. He wouldn't. He doesn't fit his system as well. 

We got other posters saying he deserves champions league football. What? Deserve? What did he contribute to finishing 4th? Lascelles contributed more from the bench with a couple of yellow cards.

ASM is fine. I'd keep him as a squad player. Even split games and rotate. Would never pay 50m for him. And apparently neither does any other club in the league or they would be knocking our doors down if he was as good as some here claim. 

Well done, you win worst post of the night.

The disrespect to Barnes is actually ridiculous when you compare the things that actually matter ie minutes played, goals and assists. 

I love maxi but he hasn’t scored since August ffs, meanwhile barnes has scored more whilst getting relegated than maxi has in 4 seasons. 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Are you talking to a mirror? Have you read the takes posted in this thread? The Barnes thread? 

It's the ASM fan club that can't stop posting fan fiction about his supposed quality.

Honestly I would keep him as squad filler. We have much worse we should get rid but we can't. ASM is the only one that will bring anything close to valuable, that we can get rid of and won't impact the team that finish 4th last year.

2 hours ago, NobbySolano said:

In 21-22 (when he started 31 games and appeared in 35 games) he had 150 successful dribbles, most in Europe’s big 5 leagues. Decent tally for a sicknote or someone Howe doesn’t fancy and in a team that didn’t control possession.

1. ASM 150

2. Vini Jr 115

3. Mbappe 111

4. Boufal 109

5. Leao 106

I’ve been getting grief for using per 90 numbers for ASM’s 22-23 so these are cold total numbers. Anyone saying ASM isn’t exciting to watch compared to almost anyone in Europe is a miserable git with really short memory.

Edited by Pata

6 minutes ago, Donut said:

Him and Wilson carried us hard during the dark Bruce days. Will forever be grateful for that.

This is totally fair and understandable. Agreed.

5 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Ugh this is fucking shite. Fee is nowhere near good enough IMO, and Barnes feels like such an underwhelming replacement. He will score goals and get assists, but he's not a player that excites me at all, basically the complete opposite of ASM. 

You are right. This is shite, goals and assist, who the fuck would want to watch that. That shit is not exciting at all. We want to see dancing over a static ball while the defense regains shape. 

Should rename the thread and call it the circus. Full of clowns.

6 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I agree with him, we’ve had no other offers and there is a lot of rose tinting in here. I mean he scored one goal and can’t be relied upon for any long stretches throughout the season, has struggled to fit into howes system and is in the last two years of his contract.

8 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Aye. It’s going to be unfair on the lad too. There’s going to be games where Barnes gets slaughtered for going missing and not doing very much. 

And it’s fucking stunning how some people can’t understand the difference in £30m from a European team and £30m from Saudi Arabia. Neves is hardly a bigger name but fetched Wolves £47m with a year left on his contract.

We actually have our own perfect example of goals and assists not being the be-all-and-end-all. Kevin Nolan was sold and we replaced him with Yohan Cabaye. No one would look back and say that was a downgrade.

Imagine for a moment that we were about to sell Yohan Cabaye so we could buy Kevin Nolan. Looking at goals and assists alone you'd think it's an upgrade, but the devil is in the details.

The main point here isn't that the players or situations are the same, it's that there's more to football than fixating solely on individual raw end product.

18 minutes ago, NobbySolano said:

Other teams not wanting a player is absurd reasoning

Why don't you flip it and ask why other top 6 teams aren't clamouring for Barnes? Or does that not suit your narrative?

18 minutes ago, NobbySolano said:

:lol: Why do we always need to go off the fucking deep end with our opinions?

And no. I'm not particularly upset he's going. This is still utter fucking nonsense.

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

We actually have our own perfect example of goals and assists not being the be-all-and-end-all. Kevin Nolan was sold and we replaced him with Yohan Cabaye. No one would look back and say that was a downgrade.

Imagine for a moment that we were about to sell Yohan Cabaye so we could buy Kevin Nolan. Looking at goals and assists alone you'd think it's an upgrade, but the devil is in the details.

The main point here isn't that the players or situations are the same, it's that there's more to football than fixating solely on individual raw end product.

Another example of G&A not being the be all and end all could be Ronaldo at Man Utd 2 seasons ago; 27 goals & assists in all competitions. Have they been a better side without him, even though they still need a striker? Absolutely.

FFP is bullshit. Spurs are hundreds of millions in debt for their stadium, which doesn't count. The (little) money we'll get for CL being based on a 10 year coefficient is also closed-shop bullshit.

I love Maxi and I think he has come on as a team player under Howe. I wanted to see more, but the club and PIF's hands are clearly tied.

We're also getting to the point, for the first time in twenty years, where upgrading the team will mean replacing an already good and popular player.

9 minutes ago, Gawalls said:

I agree with him, we’ve had no other offers and there is a lot of rose tinting in here. I mean he scored one goal and can’t be relied upon for any long stretches throughout the season, has struggled to fit into howes system and is in the last two years of his contract.

You agree that Lascelles contributed more to our CL push by getting 2 yellow cards? That he's not exciting to watch? That other teams not being in for him is a measure of his worth? (conveniently ignoring that the Serie A Champions seem to want him, that no one other than us and West Ham are in for Barnes, and that no one else has been in for a lot of the talented players who've hone to SA?)

Fair enough if you have your own reasons like, the injury one is totally valid, but the ones in that post were braindead.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Could understand the criticism of Barnes being 'boring' if he was a grafter type winger but him scoring loads of class goals being the reason he's not exciting is a bit of an odd one. 

It think he's actually being underrated a fair bit on here. He's not much of dribbler but he's got decent pace and strength that lets him fly past defenders at times and he's good on the transitions with his quick release passes to the striker or his give and go's. 

1 minute ago, Stottie said:

FFP is bullshit. Spurs are hundreds of millions in debt for their stadium, which doesn't count. The (little) money we'll get for CL being based on a 10 year coefficient is also closed-shop bullshit.

I love Maxi and I think he has come on as a team player under Howe. I wanted to see more, but the club and PIF's hands are clearly tied.

We're also getting to the point, for the first time in twenty years, where upgrading the team will mean replacing an already good and popular player.

The reason we’re restricted is on Ashley and not growing the commercial side and letting the acedemy rot - we’re now in a position where we make very little money.

Just now, Jaqen said:

Could understand the criticism of Barnes being 'boring' if he was a grafter type winger but him scoring loads of class goals being the reason he's not exciting is a bit of an odd one. 

It think he's actually being underrated a fair bit on here. He's not much of dribbler but he's got decent pace and strength that lets him fly past defenders at times and he's good on the transitions with his quick release passes to the striker or his give and go's. 

Take those away though.. 

10 minutes ago, Pata said:

In 21-22 (when he started 31 games and appeared in 35 games) he had 150 successful dribbles, most in Europe’s big 5 leagues. Decent tally for a sicknote or someone Howe doesn’t fancy and in a team that didn’t control possession.

1. ASM 150

2. Vini Jr 115

3. Mbappe 111

4. Boufal 109

5. Leao 106

I’ven been getting grief for using per 90 numbers for ASM’s 22-23 so these are cold total numbers. Anyone saying ASM isn’t exciting to watch compared to almost anyone in Europe is a miserable git with really short memory.

His other 3 seasons: 121 (first season), 96, 57. 

Not to mention, dribbling without end product is just frustrating and not exciting.

2 minutes ago, wormy said:

:lol: Why do we always need to go off the fucking deep end with our opinions?

And no. I'm not particularly upset he's going. This is still utter fucking nonsense.

Which part? You think he deserves UCL? Why? How did he contribute so much to deserve it?

I'm not upset if he goes or stays. I trust Howe and team.