Tottenham 0-1 Newcastle - Match Thread - 25/8/19

Mike

I don't believe in this suggestion that he's just reverted to Rafa's tactics. The set-up wasn't a million miles away, granted, but Rafa never did the San Marino 10-0-1 formation thing that we did today, aside from perhaps that one time where we lost 0-1 at home to Man City.

I don't believe in this suggestion that he's just reverted to Rafa's tactics. The set-up wasn't a million miles away, granted, but Rafa never did the San Marino 10-0-1 formation thing that we did today, aside from perhaps that one time where we lost 0-1 at home to Man City.

I only saw the second half tbf but I thought it was the same. Spurs had more possession because most of the time they weren't trying to create anything but we still broke well when we did get the chance

We had more shots on target than them, Rafa would be proud of that performance

Yeah man ... I am not convinced we won't be setup this same very defensive way against lesser teams.

It's somewhat understandable away to Spurs, albeit not a very strong Spurs team, after a couple of poor performances and results, but if we're doing this against lesser teams it would be too negative.

Interesting reading back through the match thread and seeing loads of the not bothered lot reacting minute by minute.

Didn’t see the game today but was surprised how pleased I was from seeing the win. I just can’t seem to switch it off as much as some people even though I’m not going this season.

Also pleased Joelinton got a goal with some already saying he was shite.

We played exactly this way under Rafa on multiple occasions like, especially at the start and middle of last season before the front three clicked - no need to pretend otherwise. And tbh that's probably why we got the result, the player's won't have just forgotten Rafa's drills overnight.

Should have just started Atsu. Worried about St Max

It was such an awful decision by Bruce.

However, at least he gets a chance to fully recover now. Looked in good spirits after the game too, which was nice to see.

Have to say throwing him into a front three with Joelinton and Almiron, and I think it will be pretty exciting.

Just a shame Bruce is going to be at the helm and being so irritating.

Guest neesy111

We played exactly this way under Rafa on multiple occasions like, especially at the start and middle of last season before the front three clicked - no need to pretend otherwise. And tbh that's probably why we got the result, the player's won't have just forgotten Rafa's drills overnight.

:thup:

Wouldn't surprise me after last week that players asked to go back to last season.

Though Krafth grew into the game today after a shaky start.

He's got decent size for that full back/wing back position and is more competitive defensively than Yedlin and Manquillo I think.

Haven't really had a chance to see what he can contribute going forward as of yet, as we had to defend a ton today.

Wouldn't surprise me after last week that players asked to go back to last season.

Yep, think you’re right :thup:

Muto's a good footballer too. Dont think we have the technical ability to use him though.

Think he'd look good in a team who keeps possession and relies on good runs from the fowards. IE. Spurs, Liverpool, Leicester etc. Obviously easy to say X player would look good in X good team, but I think he would suit that style.

Though Krafth grew into the game today after a shaky start.

He's got decent size for that full back/wing back position and is more competitive defensively than Yedlin and Manquillo I think.

Haven't really had a chance to see what he can contribute going forward as of yet, as we had to defend a ton today.

I wasnt all that impressed. A couple times he looked lost defensively not that its much different from whats been going on over the last couple seasons. I think with any of the 3 its about the same and recency bias wins the day on peoples' thoughts about the individual. Stick any 3 of them in and its whatever.