Aston Villa 2-0 Newcastle United - 25/11/19 - post match from p18

Disco

2-0 flatters Villa. For all their possession they've not really created anything. We've gifted them two goals from stupid, uncharacteristic errors. I still feel a goal for us early in the second half can see us come back into the game. We've made it too easy for them thus far.

Would agree but the standard of defending has been punished and you can’t argue with that.

Pointless to play Shelvey as he goes for a long ball 9 times out of 10. We never get any posession that way. He hits a long ball we drop the ball and have to defend all the time. Hard to score a goal if we just have to defend all the time.

Easy to play against when Shelvey is the only one who can pass it in the whole team. Clark playing centre of the three restricts him. Clark, Fernandez & Schar would have made us far more expansive in terms of playing out from defence either side. As it stands we don’t have that ability at all. Ridiculous selection.

You can’t have three central defenders and Shelvey in front of them as a quarter back. The reason you have three central defenders is to build the game via them. Now, with Bruce, they are just giving the ball to Shelvey who hit it long at every opportunity.

2-0 flatters Villa. For all their possession they've not really created anything. We've gifted them two goals from stupid, uncharacteristic errors. I still feel a goal for us early in the second half can see us come back into the game. We've made it too easy for them thus far.

Would agree but the standard of defending has been punished and you can’t argue with that.

True. I still feel like there's a way back into this for us, providing our tactics and application change. The defending hasn't been too bad, it's just two moments of stupidity. Frustrating.