Success at what cost?

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sunderland fans were singing 'He shags who he wants' at matches tbf. Could argue those waving the Saudi flag are engaging in similar, although they're unlikely to be as aware of what they're promoting as mackems were with the paedo. Ultimately every club has doylums amongst their support though.

Loki is right though, if its not for you, cut all ties with the club. Important not to have a go at others for not following suit though.

Lol, what’s the point I’m asking if the people here who hammered them for that feel the same way. But okay.

You're making a fair point and it is hypocritical of our fanbase to lambast Sunderland's defense of Johnson on the basis of morals and our ready acceptance of prospective Saudi ownership

I would like to know if you're planning to walk away though

Sunderland fans were singing 'He shags who he wants' at matches tbf. Could argue those waving the Saudi flag are engaging in similar, although they're unlikely to be as aware of what they're promoting as mackems were with the paedo. Ultimately every club has doylums amongst their support though.

Loki is right though, if its not for you, cut all ties with the club. Important not to have a go at others for not following suit though.

He didn't do that though? He just said it was something to think about then Loki told him to walk away. :lol:

Fans? They couldn’t do anything but walk away, same as us.

So just accept it then.  If you feel that strongly about it then you have no choice but to walk away. If not then you can just join the rest of us in acknowledging that they've been cunts but we're gonna have a banging team.

Fans? They couldn’t do anything but walk away, same as us.

So just accept it then.  If you feel that strongly about it then you have no choice but to walk away. If not then you can just join the rest of us in acknowledging that they've been cunts but we're gonna have a banging team.

I have done that. I'm not sure what you are getting at here at all. You either didn't read my post properly or are ignoring it. So I'll repost it:

Not trying to dig anyone out here, but we (rightly) gave Sunderland grief for the Adam Johnson stuff, aren’t we doing the same thing really. Well as long as we win and we don’t really care how? Just a thought

Modify message

If you read that I haven't had a go at anyone, or mentioned what I'm doing (I'm personally probably going to watch (though feel guilty about it) I was just trying to draw a comparison morally to what they did and what we are doing.  That was it.

I guess I respond because it's typical 'right on' bullshit.

'I'll watch but I'll feel guilty about it'.  Yeah, that'll make the dismembered kids in Yemen feel better. Alright, he was into it but at least he felt guilty.

If you gave that much of a shit it wouldn't even be a question.

Loki, since you engaged with the point, why don't you just explain your thinking behind this post and how it's different to us - seems to be all ManDoon is essentially asking

Not trying to dig anyone out here, but we (rightly) gave Sunderland grief for the Adam Johnson stuff, aren’t we doing the same thing really. Well as long as we win and we don’t really care how? Just a thought

No. They could have done something and they didn't.

Loki, since you engaged with the point, why don't you just explain your thinking behind this post and how it's different to us - seems to be all ManDoon is essentially asking

Alright. The Johnson thing was entirely within SAFCs control. They could have suspended him, terminated his contract, they did nothing.  Their fans could have vilified him, instead they lionised him.

Similarly, if NUFC fans feel so strongly about this then there are actions they can take  Protest, boycott, walk away. Enjoying the wins but 'feeling a bit guilty' doesn't exactly scream a strongly held conviction.

And you know something that really pisses me off in life in general and not just football?  People who 'care' enough to make a big show to everyone else that they care but don't care enough to actually do anything.

Although I admit I am curious of whether my enthusiasm will withstand over time – especially when the plastic fans starts getting on the train – I don't have it in me to walk away. I am Newcastle United, and there's no changing that. I do however feel the «we as a football club has no power»-excuse being extremely passive. We didn't have the power to remove Ashley either, but that sure as hell didn't bear any hindrance to speaking up. I actually kinda respect not giving a toss about what's going on in Saudi-Arabia, but don't mask it by saying it's not up to us and that we shouldn't care beacause we don't have any direct influence – a bland and content club without opinions and lacking the will to speak up is exactly what I fear oil gazillions will turn us into.

The guys from the Independent and the Guardian are getting by far the most grief.

I think many people feel that Independent journalists are a bit hypocritical, when a Saudi investor part owns the company.

I thought that journalists' work not being dictated by the owners of their outlets would be seen as a good thing but you live and learn.

He could try and get a job at another newspaper, since hes so principled.

And if he does that, how does it change the situation at NUFC or whether it's right or wrong for these guys to own the club?

It doesn't at all, it's just a lazy cheap point scoring exercise to avoid discussing the actual issue. Play the ball, not the man.

I'm talking about him being a hypocrite and why I find it annoying and I've made my point. It doesnt change a thing on the ownership issue. But it makes him a hypocrite and in the process annoys me.

Why do you change the subject? I can, on the one hand, see someones point of view but on the other see them as a hypocrite because of it.

Do you want to talk about the morality of Saudi ownership or hypocrisy? I've put aside the ownership issue and said it's fair enough that people feel uncomfortable but I'm not having someone telling me what I should think or do when they dont themselves take a stand.

I take Neesys point that the guy might have tried to get a job at a newspaper, and fair play if he did. I doubt it.

Put this where it belongs, not stinking up the rest of the forum.

And you know something that really pisses me off in life in general and not just football?  People who 'care' enough to make a big show to everyone else that they care but don't care enough to actually do anything.

I think these points you're making are being shoehorned in tbf like. He made a perfectly fair point and didn't have a go at anyone for their own position, yet you've felt it necessary to make out that he was in order to make a wider point about virtue signalling, which wasn't happening here.

I hope everyone makes/finds peace with their decision, whatever they choose. It's shite living with true conflict in your heart.

Yeah, it looks like we will be losing quite a few people from the football section if this takeover goes through.

I think these points you're making are being shoehorned in tbf like. He made a perfectly fair point and didn't have a go at anyone for their own position, yet you've felt it necessary to make out that he was in order to make a wider point about virtue signalling, which wasn't happening here.

Theres tonnes of virtue signalling going on, not just from people in here.

I don’t know whether because the football isn’t here and all it brings socially etc. but after all this, Ashley included I’m very unlikely to plug back into football altogether I think. The furlough stuff from multiple clubs, super leagues. Governments buying clubs. It’s been laid very bare how devoid of decency it mostly is.

Guest neesy111

I don’t know whether because the football isn’t here and all it brings socially etc. but after all this, Ashley included I’m very unlikely to plug back into football altogether I think. The furlough stuff from multiple clubs, super leagues. Governments buying clubs. It’s been laid very bare how devoid of decency it mostly is.

:thup:

Same, I'm not missing it and the whole sport stinks.

Theres tonnes of virtue signalling going on, not just from people in here.

Is it bollocks. Not a single person on here has chastised anyone else for not making the same personal decision that they have.

Honestly, I think you're a bit of a dick but I respect you because you have your values and convictions and don't compromise on them.

Saying 'I'll join in with the celebrations but I'll feel guilty about it' is the worst kind of horseshit.

:thup:

Same, I'm not missing it and the whole sport stinks.

You’ll get back into it when things start getting interesting again next year.

Without wanting to get into talking about a wider political point or whatever, I agree and I think Covid has massively exposed all of the grim, blood-sucking failings of capitalism overall.

You’re just being a dick head at this point, I haven’t done anything of the sort, merely expressed a thought. Just put me on ignore if you’re gonna act a cunt towards me or PM me, quite frankly your petty sniping bullshit Is the last thing I want to deal with right now. I’ll leave it at that.

Aye, you leave it at that, sweetheart, I'll feel guilty about it.

Honestly, I think you're a bit of a dick but I respect you because you have your values and convictions and don't compromise on them.

Saying 'I'll join in with the celebrations but I'll feel guilty about it' is the worst kind of horseshit.

I think it's completely fair to say someone's going to go along with this for the time being but reserves the right to make a final decision for later. Not everyone has to nail their flags to the mast right now. If I celebrate but a tinge of [guilt/angst/whatever] pops up, that's totally valid. And if it changes my mind that's cool too. I think Doon is just expressing the uncertainty that a lot of people who haven't fully decided one way or the other feel right now.