Success at what cost?

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sticking this in here because I don't want to piss on everyone's bonfire in the main thread, but I'm at the point where I don't want this to happen now tbh.

I've tried to view it as Ashley leaving, but I'd actually rather keep Ashley and wait for someone else to come along, fully in the knowledge of how shit and hopeless that situation is. I never thought I'd pass up the opportunity to get rid of Ashley, but fair play to him, he's managed to find an owner even more toxic than he is, and for me whatever money and success that will come along just isn't worth it. I'm not gonna lie, I've had pangs of excitement thinking about this or that player or manager and it'll happen again, and I've tried to believe that there'll be Saudi social reform and all that, but I don't believe it and I know deep down I'm just trying to talk myself into it. Once the excitement fades, there's no illusion about who's funding it.

I'll very likely be a hypocrite and still watch us on telly, just as I do now despite having more or less given up on the club in its current state, but I'm not going to kid myself about what I think's happening and although I hope I'm wrong, I think we're about to watch the selling out of our club's entire history to one of the worst people in existence. It had already been largely sold out to a cheap sports shop with awful business practices, but this is such a giant leap into sadistic, pathological evil that I don't think I could feel happiness and pride towards NUFC in the way alluded to in SBR's famous 'what is a club in any case...' quote while they're at the helm. 

I get that I'm just one person and that my opinion doesn't mean anything, and I'm not in any way chastising anyone else for whatever personal decision they come to. Anyone saying that Newcastle fans should just do X or Y over this don't seem to understand the emotional ties to the club, that I'm sure they have with their own. I just wanted to vent I guess.

Vent away. I'm totally with you as well. Swear to God I think a large portion of the Toon Army has a chronic case of 'battered wife' syndrome. Just because a richer potential husband comes along promising the world, it doesn't mean you have to jump straight into bed with him, only to find he has a penchant for sticking a scimitar up your arse as he ejaculates in your face.

Think I'll keep on quietly wishing for NUFC to somehow end up as a fan-owned co-operative with a bit of self-respect, pride and beautiful, flowing football without relying upon the dirty money of a murderous, evil Sheikh.

Ashley's a vile specimen for sure, but this deal looks to me to be frying pan to fire. As a former denizen of this forum used to recite incessantly, "Be careful what you wish for"...

Surely the main difference as that we expect the new owners to be much better for the club itself?

Yes but it's still a Faustian deal, better football, a richer club, better players and hopefully some success on the pitch - just with a little more torture, murder and evil thrown into the mix.

Why should it be a football club that has to take this stand? :lol:

Put it another way, then: say it was Jimmy Savile, Rolf Harris and Gary Glitter all clubbing together to buy the club and they wanted to play a role in the youth team coaching? Would you turn a blind eye to their previous 'indiscretions'?

Both the Government (via law) and the FA (through test) would have blocked them so it couldn't happen. That kind of moral issue is dealt with at the right levels before coming tot he fans for their opinion.

Sticking this in here because I don't want to piss on everyone's bonfire in the main thread, but I'm at the point where I don't want this to happen now tbh.

I've tried to view it as Ashley leaving, but I'd actually rather keep Ashley and wait for someone else to come along, fully in the knowledge of how shit and hopeless that situation is. I never thought I'd pass up the opportunity to get rid of Ashley, but fair play to him, he's managed to find an owner even more toxic than he is, and for me whatever money and success that will come along just isn't worth it. I'm not gonna lie, I've had pangs of excitement thinking about this or that player or manager and it'll happen again, and I've tried to believe that there'll be Saudi social reform and all that, but I don't believe it and I know deep down I'm just trying to talk myself into it. Once the excitement fades, there's no illusion about who's funding it.

I'll very likely be a hypocrite and still watch us on telly, just as I do now despite having more or less given up on the club in its current state, but I'm not going to kid myself about what I think's happening and although I hope I'm wrong, I think we're about to watch the selling out of our club's entire history to one of the worst people in existence. It had already been largely sold out to a cheap sports shop with awful business practices, but this is such a giant leap into sadistic, pathological evil that I don't think I could feel happiness and pride towards NUFC in the way alluded to in SBR's famous 'what is a club in any case...' quote while they're at the helm. 

I get that I'm just one person and that my opinion doesn't mean anything, and I'm not in any way chastising anyone else for whatever personal decision they come to. Anyone saying that Newcastle fans should just do X or Y over this don't seem to understand the emotional ties to the club, that I'm sure they have with their own. I just wanted to vent I guess.

Vent away. I'm totally with you as well. Swear to God I think a large portion of the Toon Army has a chronic case of 'battered wife' syndrome. Just because a richer potential husband comes along promising the world, it doesn't mean you have to jump straight into bed with him, only to find he has a penchant for sticking a scimitar up your arse as he ejaculates in your face.

Think I'll keep on quietly wishing for NUFC to somehow end up as a fan-owned co-operative with a bit of self-respect, pride and beautiful, flowing football without relying upon the dirty money of a murderous, evil Sheikh.

Ashley's a vile specimen for sure, but this deal looks to me to be frying pan to fire. As a former denizen of this forum used to recite incessantly, "Be careful what you wish for"...

Surely the main difference as that we expect the new owners to be much better for the club itself?

Yes but it's still a Faustian deal, better football, a richer club, better players and hopefully some success on the pitch - just with a little more torture, murder and evil thrown into the mix.

Yeah, but he does do the dishes.

Of course, I'm just saying that 'be careful what you wish for' probably doesn't apply here, since the club will be massively more successful.

Guest reefatoon

Also depends if you are talking about pre or post Yewtree, as you will get two wildly different outcomes.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

I've been trying to come up with an analogy for how I feel about this for my own benefit.

I think I've landed on the following, could be from the pages of dear Deirdre:

Imagine if NUFC was your mam.

Mike Ashley's been your stepdad for 13 years, and he's been fucking terrible for your mam. She's an emotional and physical wreck, unrecognisable from the entertaining, carefree, community-spirited, empathetic and caring person she used to be. He chooses what she wears, and generally just doesn't care about her at all.

You fucking hate Mike Ashley and you're fucking ecstatic that she's finally got rid of him. Good riddance.

Your mam's now got a new boyfriend. You know that he's a total and utter bastard and you're pretty sure he's killed people, but he seems to make your mam happy. She's got lots of her old traits back, has had loads of cosmetic work done in an attempt to make herself feel happy, she's got a massive new house, loads of cars. But she seems a bit dead behind the eyes. Like part of her soul has been chipped away and might never be replaced.

Her new boyfriend is nice enough to her and gives her anything she wants, but he's still doing all the horrible shit he's always done, and now my mam gets it in the ear a lot  and is deemed complicit by association which really upsets her.

It breaks my heart. I want my mam to be happy, but I hate her boyfriend and everything he stands for. I refuse to ever talk to him, and will never, ever defend what he does to other people.

I still love my mam and I want the best for her. I still go and see her, but I hope she gets rid of him one day for someone better.

It would be nice to engage in some 2 way conversation, there’s been none with Ashley. If Chi Onwurah sees it as an opportunity surely there’s an opportunity to put our thoughts across to the owners. Hopefully the takeover happens and we have a chance to find out.

Saudis are Saudis and they can run their country however they want. The funding terrorists and bombing Yemen and all the other stuff is reprehensible.  Them owning NUFC is not a problem for me. Hopefully we'll see significant regeneration in an area that sorely needs it, win a trophy or two and have a team with ambition again.

The other shit either needs to be taken care of by the government or the UN but I won't hold my breath.

Word.

It's not on a football club to deal with human rights issues and bombing civilians and shit.

If the government want to block this then its well within their power to do so.  If they want to do anything, anything at all about the war in Yemen then its within their power to do so. If they want to do anything about human rights abuses in Saudi Arabia then it's within their power to do so.

A football club has no such power.

Not trying to dig anyone out here, but we (rightly) gave Sunderland grief for the Adam Johnson stuff, aren’t we doing the same thing really. Well as long as we win and we don’t really care how? Just a thought

No. They could have done something and they didn't.