Success at what cost?

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest reefatoon

Or have your own take on things, do what you feel is right for you and just let people get on with what they want to do. Judge judge judge.

I would consider myself a person with very high moral standards, but I'm not 100% sure why as an NUFC fan my morals should be called into question over something I have zero control over. I don't choose the owner.

Am I happy that NUFC are about to be taken over by owners who are likely to bring significant investment to the club and area and see us challenging for things? ABSOLUTELY f***ing YES!

Am I happy that the majority shareholders have a less-than-stellar human rights record? ABSOLUTELY f***ing NOT

Is this sportswashing? MAYBE

Is it a genuine attempt at significant progression from a nation that needs to progress? MAYBE

Should I as a fan be held in contempt for supporting my club moving forward? ABSOLUTELY NOT

As far as I can tell, morality and football don't go hand-in-hand. They haven't for some time. That horse bolted a long time ago. You get what you're given.

Without knowing the ins and outs of Saudi's actions in recent years, or how much they are progressing, it's not really my place to champion or denounce their merits as owners. I've read some horrible things. I've also read plenty of things that suggest that Bin Salman has been a very forward thinking leader so far and that they are progressing as a society very quickly. Let's hope that their involvement in NUFC signals a significant step in that progression.

I would consider myself a person with very high moral standards, but I'm not 100% sure why as an NUFC fan my morals should be called into question over something I have zero control over. I don't choose the owner.

Am I happy that NUFC are about to be taken over by owners who are likely to bring significant investment to the club and area and see us challenging for things? ABSOLUTELY FUCKING YES!

Am I happy that the majority shareholders have a less-than-stellar human rights record? ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOT

Is it a genuine attempt at significant progression from a nation that needs to progress? MAYBE

Should I as a fan be held in contempt for supporting my club moving forward? ABSOLUTELY NOT

As far as I can tell, morality and football don't go hand-in-hand. They haven't for some time. That horse bolted a long time ago. You get what you're given.

Without knowing the ins and outs of Saudi's actions in recent years, or how much they are progressing, it's not really my place to champion or denounce their merits as owners. I've read some horrible things. I've also read plenty of things that suggest that Bin Salman has been a very forward thinking leader so far and that they are progressing as a society very quickly. Let's hope that their involvement in NUFC signals a significant step in that progression.

Good post, and probably my feelings at this point in time.

I do however feel that a part of me will die if this happens, the NUFC I knew and loved will be changed irrevocably and become one of the franchise clubs I despise so much. That makes me sad.

Guest Howaythetoon

Howay lads man... guess who wins again... oh wait...

Seriously though, nee need for the vitriol fellas :(

The brutality of the regime isn't the issue for me. They've been brutalling for 2000 years. It's up to them to change it; not us.

The greater moral concern is watching Monopoly play out in real life, as the super rich continue to hoover up more and more of the world's wealth. If you've ever passed go enough times, you'll know how the game ends.

I don't really bother with podcasts but listened to a fair few this week and this is cracking - Michael Martin (and Alex, Yorkie[/member]  :D) superb again!

http://www.true-faith.co.uk/podcast-saudi-arabia-mags-the-media/

The stuff he says to begin with about how fans shouldn't be expected to make a stand is, imo, entirely fair and well made. I do also agree that the extent of the coverage has been amplified given the lack of anything else to talk about. The stuff he says later about the southern media hating us or being jealous of the lottery ticket and "get fucken used to it 'cos we're coming,", is a load of cringey nonsense and exemplifies the root of much of the debate on here. It isn't true and there's no need to play victim here. Just crack on getting back to support the club.

Am I happy that NUFC are about to be taken over by owners who are likely to bring significant investment to the club and area and see us challenging for things? ABSOLUTELY FUCKING YES!

Am I happy that the majority shareholders have a less-than-stellar human rights record? ABSOLUTELY FUCKING NOT

Sanity prevails.

(For what its worth I have despised the Saudi's religous intolerance and support of terrorism throughout the region but that has fuck all to do with a nations investment portfolio which, as others have pointed out, I have zero control over).

The brutality of the regime isn't the issue for me. They've been brutalling for 2000 years. It's up to them to change it; not us.

The greater moral concern is watching Monopoly play out in real life, as the super rich continue to hoover up more and more of the world's wealth. If you've ever passed go enough times, you'll know how the game ends.

So that state that was founded less than 100 years ago has been 'brutalling' for 2000 years?

I hope everyone makes/finds peace with their decision, whatever they choose. It's shite living with true conflict in your heart.

Yeah, it looks like we will be losing quite a few people from the football section if this takeover goes through.

Chat is the superior section anyway.

So that state that was founded less than 100 years ago has been 'brutalling' for 2000 years?

Arabs

I hope everyone makes/finds peace with their decision, whatever they choose. It's shite living with true conflict in your heart.

Yeah, it looks like we will be losing quite a few people from the football section if this takeover goes through.

I predict that Chat will not remain safe from the fallout tbh

Reminds me I need to change my avatar and text back to "Only here for the GC"

We’re far less tolerant of shenanigans. You get curb stomped for buying the wrong pair of shoes.

We’re far less tolerant of shenanigans. You get curb stomped for buying the wrong pair of shoes.

And the right pair of shoes too. It's complicated [emoji38]

Guest neesy111

And the right pair of shoes too. It's complicated [emoji38]

Rightly sole.

Guest chopey

Cant help thinking a lot of these pundits and journalists are spouting their dissent so that in a years time they can say they spoke out against the Saudis

Guest neesy111

He’s the worst ever, he truly is

:thup:

He's just wanting a fucking job from them, or he's being paid by them for some publicity.

Guest The Little Waster

He's just wanting a fucking job from them, or he's being paid by them for some publicity.

This is the kind of utter toss Wraith does for free , every day of his life

Fuck me, the idea that the Saudis might actually put that tosser on the payroll might be the one thing which turns me off the whole thing.

Went through a phase of not minding him during the Magpie Group phase because he was actually pretty sound and was happy to take the piss out of himself. He doesn't help himself or us with shit like that though and still regularly comes across pretty strongly as being desperate for attention.

Fuck me, the idea that the Saudis might actually put that tosser on the payroll might be the one thing which turns me off the whole thing.

Wasn't he quite firmly up Stavely's hoop during the previous takeover attempt, too? Something in my mind he somehow managed to meet her?

Fingers crossed they're not easily charmed by one of the first locals to try and weasel their way in. Such a creep.