Success at what cost?

Mike
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Anyone gonna have the balls to protest the new owners if it goes badly wrong? Don’t think I’d fancy it

I think it would be more that it would be a complete waste of time. [emoji38] Ashley's universally despised by our fans and we still couldn't convince people to do what it would take to get rid of him. It took Rafa being replaced with Bruce for a significant amount to finally walk away.

This is sadly true. Also no lessons have been learned from when Ashley took over, new owners are being lauded without doing a thing rather than being approached with caution. Remember when Ashley was in with the fans sinking cans?

Sticking this in here because I don't want to piss on everyone's bonfire in the main thread, but I'm at the point where I don't want this to happen now tbh.

I've tried to view it as Ashley leaving, but I'd actually rather keep Ashley and wait for someone else to come along, fully in the knowledge of how shit and hopeless that situation is. I never thought I'd pass up the opportunity to get rid of Ashley, but fair play to him, he's managed to find an owner even more toxic than he is, and for me whatever money and success that will come along just isn't worth it. I'm not gonna lie, I've had pangs of excitement thinking about this or that player or manager and it'll happen again, and I've tried to believe that there'll be Saudi social reform and all that, but I don't believe it and I know deep down I'm just trying to talk myself into it. Once the excitement fades, there's no illusion about who's funding it.

I'll very likely be a hypocrite and still watch us on telly, just as I do now despite having more or less given up on the club in its current state, but I'm not going to kid myself about what I think's happening and although I hope I'm wrong, I think we're about to watch the selling out of our club's entire history to one of the worst people in existence. It had already been largely sold out to a cheap sports shop with awful business practices, but this is such a giant leap into sadistic, pathological evil that I don't think I could feel happiness and pride towards NUFC in the way alluded to in SBR's famous 'what is a club in any case...' quote while they're at the helm. 

I get that I'm just one person and that my opinion doesn't mean anything, and I'm not in any way chastising anyone else for whatever personal decision they come to. Anyone saying that Newcastle fans should just do X or Y over this don't seem to understand the emotional ties to the club, that I'm sure they have with their own. I just wanted to vent I guess.

Sticking this in here because I don't want to piss on everyone's bonfire in the main thread, but I'm at the point where I don't want this to happen now tbh.

I've tried to view it as Ashley leaving, but I'd actually rather keep Ashley and wait for someone else to come along, fully in the knowledge of how shit and hopeless that situation is. I never thought I'd pass up the opportunity to get rid of Ashley, but fair play to him, he's managed to find an owner even more toxic than he is, and for me whatever money and success that will come along just isn't worth it. I'm not gonna lie, I've had pangs of excitement thinking about this or that player or manager and it'll happen again, and I've tried to believe that there'll be Saudi social reform and all that, but I don't believe it and I know deep down I'm just trying to talk myself into it. Once the excitement fades, there's no illusion about who's funding it.

I'll very likely be a hypocrite and still watch us on telly, just as I do now despite having more or less given up on the club in its current state, but I'm not going to kid myself about what I think's happening and although I hope I'm wrong, I think we're about to watch the selling out of our club's entire history to one of the worst people in existence. It had already been largely sold out to a cheap sports shop with awful business practices, but this is such a giant leap into sadistic, pathological evil that I don't think I could feel happiness and pride towards NUFC in the way alluded to in SBR's famous 'what is a club in any case...' quote while they're at the helm. 

I get that I'm just one person and that my opinion doesn't mean anything, and I'm not in any way chastising anyone else for whatever personal decision they come to. Anyone saying that Newcastle fans should just do X or Y over this don't seem to understand the emotional ties to the club, that I'm sure they have with their own. I just wanted to vent I guess.

Totally understand your PoV and feelings on the matter. Ashley has managed to divide us again as one last kick in the balls before he leaves. Here's a multi-billionaire....and all the baggage of a murderous regime to go with. He's a fucker, like and none of this heat has been aimed at him. Innocent party in all this. I think there will be few that follow suit. I don't blame them. Tbh, I admire them for making a stand in what they believe in, especially if the refuse to have anything to do with the club.

For me though i'm leaning to going on the ride. I think the way the media have lain this at the feet of NUFC fans is deplorable and they should be making a stand against the government & FA before coming anywhere near us. But they didn't, they decided to target the fans as its easier, it gets bites and clicks and stirs emotions. They are now interviewing the widow of the journo murdered about our club, really? It's disgusting. It really is their behaviour which has tipped the balance for me. If they want to demonise the club and its fans who have no control over any of this before anything has been signed then bring it on. I'll enjoy the glory that this money will bring and will support the team and manager in front of me, anything else in the background isn't my concern as a football fan.

I don’t want to be owned by Saudi Arabia, of course I don’t. But if the new owners do the right thing by the club, I’ll be able to hold my deep disapproval of them separate from my support of the club. I think.

Of course, if we do well it’ll be tainted by the fact we needed them. Same as Man City and Chelsea etc are tainted. It’s not really a sport anymore. But that’s more a problem with football than with our specific situation.

As long as we don’t get into defending or excusing Saudi Arabia, I think we can just about walk the line.

I don’t want to be owned by Saudi Arabia, of course I don’t. But if the new owners do the right thing by the club, I’ll be able to hold my deep disapproval of them separate from my support of the club. I think.

Of course, if we do well it’ll be tainted by the fact we needed them. Same as Man City and Chelsea etc are tainted. It’s not really a sport anymore. But that’s more a problem with football than with our specific situation.

As long as we don’t get into defending or excusing Saudi Arabia, I think we can just about walk the line.

Yup. Got to stay out of defending them but you can see outside sources are trying to get the fans to do just that by attacking them and the club, blurring them all on purpose.

That's going to be hard. Twitterverse has failed miserably, as expected.

This, pretty much.

Yup. Got to stay out of defending them but you can see outside sources are trying to get the fans to do just that by attacking them and the club, blurring them all on purpose.

Yeah, I don't go on Twitter but I know what you mean. Really this takeover plays into the worst aspects of social media and football fans combined... also it's happening in a news vacuum so there's literally nothing else for anyone to write about.

I don't get any kind of responsibility being put on the fans though, that seems a bit much to me. I do think it would be interesting to see the reaction if we were going from, say, John Hall to Saudi Arabia. Coming off the back of 13 years of Ashley just means I don't have any stomach for more fighting, even if I thought it would achieve anything.

I think I'm able to detach the owners from the football in the main, this coming from someone who has been lambasting the UK for supplying arms to the Saudis for as long as I can remember - for me it is all about Ashley going, as if it doesn't happen now, it could be another 13 years or so until we are able to escape him.

I'd love to have been in the position where I was opposing Ashley's business practices, whilst applauding his stewardship of the football club, but I only opposed his business practices precisely because of his handling of the club. This is a different league granted, but I'm not going to be changing my opinion on Saudi Arabia just because they may own us. However, I still want this to go through.

Going off on a tangent here, and I'm no expert on the Saudi Royal Family etc, but aren't they quite feudal? This guy might not even last another 10 years without a coup, or our Government might wake up and declare them persona non grata (unlikely I know  :lol:), but what position are fans going to take in such far-fetched scenarios? I can see your point in that it is a bit like doing a deal with the devil.

Yeah, I don't go on Twitter but I know what you mean. Really this takeover plays into the worst aspects of social media and football fans combined... also it's happening in a news vacuum so there's literally nothing else for anyone to write about.

I don't get any kind of responsibility being put on the fans though, that seems a bit much to me. I do think it would be interesting to see the reaction if we were going from, say, John Hall to Saudi Arabia. Coming off the back of 13 years of Ashley just means I don't have any stomach for more fighting, even if I thought it would achieve anything.

Perfect storm, as usual, but the twitter reaction has been embarrassing. Vile comments aimed personally at people just doing their jobs (Keys excluded, deserves everything he gets) whether we agree or not, its got to be handled better than that.

Interesting point. I think we'd have more fight about us back then, but i also think you'd not have the media directly interacting with the fans on social platforms therefore i don't think it would have been a big deal as it is now.

How is the PIF more toxic than Ashley? The PIF is not owned by the Saudi royal family. It's nominally owned by all Saudis. No one would be crying if Temasek bought us.

Because its the Public Investment Fund of Saudi Arabia responsible for investing on behalf of the government of Saudi Arabia and its Chairman is the Crown Prince? A reminder that SA is an absolute monarchy with no representative legislature

I'd have been more than happy with Staveley and the Reubens, as I think anybody would. As mentioned though if they come in with all the right intentions for the club and the city as a whole, and actually manage to transform us into a global force then I think most people will be able to separate the two. That's how football is.

I'd have been more than happy with Staveley and the Reubens, as I think anybody would. As mentioned though if they come in with all the right intentions for the club and the city as a whole, and actually manage to transform us into a global force then I think most people will be able to separate the two. That's how football is.

I really hope they keep it at arm's length, unlike Man City. Rather not see MBS sitting in the director's box with Wraith gurning 3 seats away and offering to run a Twitter account for him.

I really hope they keep it at arm's length, unlike Man City. Rather not see MBS sitting in the director's box with Wraith gurning 3 seats away and offering to run a Twitter account for him.

I imagine he'll probably make a handful of appearances when the bigger clubs are playing us on Sky. I definitely think we'd see more of Staveley and the Reubens throughout the season.

Vent away. I'm totally with you as well. Swear to God I think a large portion of the Toon Army has a chronic case of 'battered wife' syndrome. Just because a richer potential husband comes along promising the world, it doesn't mean you have to jump straight into bed with him, only to find he has a penchant for sticking a scimitar up your arse as he ejaculates in your face.

Think I'll keep on quietly wishing for NUFC to somehow end up as a fan-owned co-operative with a bit of self-respect, pride and beautiful, flowing football without relying upon the dirty money of a murderous, evil Sheikh.

Ashley's a vile specimen for sure, but this deal looks to me to be frying pan to fire. As a former denizen of this forum used to recite incessantly, "Be careful what you wish for"...

Saudis are Saudis and they can run their country however they want. The funding terrorists and bombing Yemen and all the other stuff is reprehensible.  Them owning NUFC is not a problem for me. Hopefully we'll see significant regeneration in an area that sorely needs it, win a trophy or two and have a team with ambition again.

The other shit either needs to be taken care of by the government or the UN but I won't hold my breath.

Vent away. I'm totally with you as well. Swear to God I think a large portion of the Toon Army has a chronic case of 'battered wife' syndrome. Just because a richer potential husband comes along promising the world, it doesn't mean you have to jump straight into bed with him, only to find he has a penchant for sticking a scimitar up your arse as he ejaculates in your face.

Think I'll keep on quietly wishing for NUFC to somehow end up as a fan-owned co-operative with a bit of self-respect, pride and beautiful, flowing football without relying upon the dirty money of a murderous, evil Sheikh.

Ashley's a vile specimen for sure, but this deal looks to me to be frying pan to fire. As a former denizen of this forum used to recite incessantly, "Be careful what you wish for"...

Surely the main difference as that we expect the new owners to be much better for the club itself?

Surely the main difference as that we expect the new owners to be much better for the club itself?

Yes but it's still a Faustian deal, better football, a richer club, better players and hopefully some success on the pitch - just with a little more torture, murder and evil thrown into the mix.

Yes but it's still a Faustian deal, better football, a richer club, better players and hopefully some success on the pitch - just with a little more torture, murder and evil thrown into the mix.

Why should it be a football club that has to take this stand? :lol:

Why should it be a football club that has to take this stand? :lol:

Put it another way, then: say it was Jimmy Savile, Rolf Harris and Gary Glitter all clubbing together to buy the club and they wanted to play a role in the youth team coaching? Would you turn a blind eye to their previous 'indiscretions'?