Liverpool vs NUFC - 03/04/96 - Live on Sky Sports PL 7.30pm tonight

Paully

we were ahead at Liverpool and blackburn and champions see those games out. keegan just needed to tweak things but it isn't allowed to criticise king kev.

:lol:

Says who? Of course KK made mistakes, whether that be tactically or allowing Ferguson to get into his head.

He's still a god as far as I am concerned.

I’ve read many times that the players stopped truly believing and that this or that was the turning point. We blew it several times, had we won at home to Man U we’d have been home and dry but we played well, it was performances at Wimbledon, Man C and West Ham where we were either poor or too sloppy that annoy me more. We shouldn’t have lost at Liverpool and should have won at Blackburn (in fact win at Blackburn and we’d still have won it). We should have won at Forest but it was kind of gone by then. An extra 3 points going into the last game was all we needed, god knows how we didn’t get them.

But, despite all the above, we’d have won it regardless had it not been for one player. Cantona went on an unbelievable scoring run in consecutive games towards the end of the season and single handedly got the points that won the league. I remember so many times 2nd half goals popping up on Sky Sports where Cantona had scored. An equaliser against QPR still grates.

Guest reefatoon

we were ahead at Liverpool and blackburn and champions see those games out. keegan just needed to tweak things but it isn't allowed to criticise king kev.

:lol:

Says who? Of course KK made mistakes, whether that be tactically or allowing Ferguson to get into his head.

He's still a god as far as I am concerned.

Aye, what a weird as fuck comment that was.

I’ve read many times that the players stopped truly believing and that this or that was the turning point. We blew it several times, had we won at home to Man U we’d have been home and dry but we played well, it was performances at Wimbledon, Man C and West Ham where we were either poor or too sloppy that annoy me more. We shouldn’t have lost at Liverpool and should have won at Blackburn (in fact win at Blackburn and we’d still have won it). We should have won at Forest but it was kind of gone by then. An extra 3 points going into the last game was all we needed, god knows how we didn’t get them.

But, despite all the above, we’d have won it regardless had it not been for one player. Cantona went on an unbelievable scoring run in consecutive games towards the end of the season and single handedly got the points that won the league. I remember so many times 2nd half goals popping up on Sky Sports where Cantona had scored. An equaliser against QPR still grates.

This x1000.

Schmeichel saves at one end, Cantona scores at the other. Week after week, must have been half a dozen 1 Nils to them after February.

Let's face it, the real culprit at Ewood Park was Shaka Hislop's utterly embarrassing goalkeeping.

:thup:

Seen more about this fucking 4-3 in the last 2-3 weeks than the rest of my life put together.

This x1000.

Schmeichel saves at one end, Cantona scores at the other. Week after week, must have been half a dozen 1 Nils to them after February.

Yep. They played Spurs and Arsenal at home and both were televised and they got humped on both but that scenario happened in each of them.

If we’d even drawn with them up here then it was our title - pisser.

We'd never have lost at Blackburn if we'd got at least a point at Anfield.

That last minute goal completely knocked the stuffing out of us.

Albeit it was against a poor side, did the manner in which we won v QPR on the Saturday after (2 late Beardsley goals) not boost morale amongst the players and fans in the slightest?

This x1000.

No.  That would only have been a three point swing.  They ended up ahead of us by four points with a better goal difference.

This x1000.

No.  That would only have been a three point swing.  They ended up ahead of us by four points with a better goal difference.

True enough, but we would have been two points ahead going into the final game. A win would have sealed it regardless of the Man U result. As it was, by then we were already beaten, psychologically.

What haunts me is how horrendously badly we played in the final 10 minutes of the Blackburn game. It was like a collective nervous breakdown. We didn't know whether to attack or defend and ended up doing neither.

This x1000.

Aha, sorry - I meant that we wouldn't have drooped as many points as we did after that defeat! I forgot to say that!

Eh? They were 2 points ahead of us going into the last game, had we beaten them we’d have had 3 more points and they’d have had 3 less. That’s a 6 point swing. Even if we’d drawn we’d have been going into the last game a point ahead. We ended up drawing with Spurs due to ‘boro rolling over and getting their tummy tickled.

Albeit it was against a poor side, did the manner in which we won v QPR on the Saturday after (2 late Beardsley goals) not boost morale amongst the players and fans in the slightest?

Sadly not. The damage was already done by that point and Man Utd were in everyone's heads, KK, players and fans. I saw an interview recently with Sir Les and he got it bang on. We didn't have enough winners and everyone started panicking.

Look at the Keegan rant. That was after a great, hard fought win away at Leeds. He should have been brimming with confidence after that but he couldn't avoid biting at Ferguson. No victory was enough to overcome the psychological damage that had been done.

Thing is though, everyone is capable of it. Man Utd did exactly the same a couple of seasons later. They were storming the league then Ferguson announced his retirement. They then fell to pieces as Arsenal chased them down and overcame a similarly large points difference. And that was a fantastic Man Utd squad.

No one ever mentions that Man Utd collapse though.

Guest neesy111

Sadly not. The damage was already done by that point and Man Utd were in everyone's heads, KK, players and fans. I saw an interview recently with Sir Les and he got it bang on. We didn't have enough winners and everyone started panicking.

Look at the Keegan rant. That was after a great, hard fought win away at Leeds. He should have been brimming with confidence after that but he couldn't avoid biting at Ferguson. No victory was enough to overcome the psychological damage that had been done.

Thing is though, everyone is capable of it. Man Utd did exactly the same a couple of seasons later. They were storming the league then Ferguson announced his retirement. They then fell to pieces as Arsenal chased them down and overcame a similarly large points difference. And that was a fantastic Man Utd squad.

No one ever mentions that Man Utd collapse though.

You're getting confused with the Fergy retirement, that was in 2001.  He didn't do it in the 1997-98 season.

Also our home form wasn't the issue in 95/96. 5 points dropped all season. IIRC we almost expected to win all of our home games but our away form wasn't quite good enough, particularly after Christmas. So not sure home wins were giving us that much of a lift when we knew there was a good chance we'd let ourselves down away.