Player Opinions - #3 Paul Dummett

He's been a mainstay throughough the club's worst existential crisis in the modern era, so he'll forever be associated with this period, which is a shame for him. There's plenty of other individuals who you'd have before him as 'someone who typifies' the club's problems - but he's kinda in that conversation. Likeable, a good worker, a good tackler and there's absolutely no doubting that he's a Premier League standard defender; but he's had as many great games as he's had stinkers, and you wonder if he'd have made over 150 appearances for us if the club had more ambition.

28 as well so there's doubts about how much he'll improve.

Good backup/squad player - probably a proper left back or LCB sub when you are up 1 or 2 nil and you want someone who is going to defend solidly, make tackles, win the ball in the air.

Never gets beaten 1 on 1, decent pace, decent in the air and positionally.  Absolutely awful with the ball at his feet though! Looks like he’s trying to play with his “other” foot in a training excercise or something.

Got to respect him, i reckon he’s worked really hard to get where he is 👍

Never gets beaten 1 on 1, decent pace, decent in the air and positionally.  Absolutely awful with the ball at his feet though! Looks like he’s trying to play with his “other” foot in a training excercise or something.

I'd agree, though I'd say 'limited' rather than 'awful' on the ball.

He's unfortunate to be half-way between a centre back and a full back. Centre back in a back three probably sees him at his best.

He's unfortunate to be half-way between a centre back and a full back. Centre back in a back three probably sees him at his best.

Maybe.  I just find him really awkward to watch with the ball.

I am staggered, simply staggered, that anyone can remotely, possibly, think that Paul Dummett is in any way a premier League footballer for NUFC.

Doesn't this line of thinking show just how far we have sunk?

If he was wearing a red and white shirt we'd be ripping him by the hour.

Turning circle of an oil tanker. He compensates by standing off his man but it means you have to defend really deep. An absolute liability on the ball. Still wish Haidara had got the backing he did.

He was actually fine when we defended like that under Rafa but aye anything other than defending the 18 yard line and he’s poor.

All this basically.

Was rock solid under Rafa and he always seemed to like one attacking FB and one stay at home FB. Spoke out about Bruce and got binned. Not a player for where you want to eventually be but was perfectly fine for how Rafa was building the club in those 3 seasons.

For a professional footballer he’s definitely awful on the ball. He’s afraid of the ball, and rightly so.