Player Opinions - #3 Paul Dummett

He goes under the radar but he’s solid. Doesn’t affect a game in the way Schär or Lejeune can (they they are playing well) but overall he’s more consistent. Worth his place in the side currently. Will be one of the first to move on if a takeover ever happens.

Model pro though, never hear a peep about him off the pitch.

I remember when we signed him before Rafa’s championship season thinking Ciaran fucking Clarke??  But since then he’s proved to be a really astute signing, bar the odd bad game and mistake he’s been really solid.  Seems a really good pro, would happily keep in the squad until he’s ready to finish at this level.

Yes he has had a few bad games, and given away at least one totally stupid penalty for example.

Was that the Reading one in his first game? That was lols.

I can't remember who against but yeah think his first game. But agree with you - he is a very dependable back up.

I've always thought he was the type of player that tells what level of team you are.

Relegation battle, just surviving or going down, a level below what you want but perfect for Ashley and his survival only aim, until that goes wrong with the shite managers we usually get.

I remember when we signed him before Rafa’s championship season thinking Ciaran fucking Clarke??  But since then he’s proved to be a really astute signing, bar the odd bad game and mistake he’s been really solid.  Seems a really good pro, would happily keep in the squad until he’s ready to finish at this level.

Basically this. Saw the sense for the Championship so wasn’t so concerned. The bonus is when needed he’s not let us down much in the EPL. No doubt Rafa would’ve progressed the squad if he had control and would’ve probably gone this summer if not last.

In the Ritchie, Gayle, Dummett bracket of players who’ve served their purpose but shouldn’t be here if we were a serious club.

Eh? He's ideal back up. A serious club would have better than those in front of him, and they wouldn't be as content to be back up.

Underrated. He's done the job without a fuss when asked to. Will never be a top class defender but more than good enough. We have hard far worst. I often liken him to how Aaron Hughes was for us.

Extremely limited in many ways, but he’s done amazingly well to make himself a career in the PL. Partly because the club is dysfunctional, but even so.

Always seems super fit and ready to perform. Just isn’t very good at football.

Guest neesy111

Extremely limited in many ways, but he’s done amazingly well to make himself a career in the PL. Partly because the club is dysfunctional, but even so.

Always seems super fit and ready to perform. Just isn’t very good at football.

Super fit?  He's injured quite often.

For some fans I feel like Dummet has never recovered from his inexperienced days where he was really quite rubbish. I also think it’s hard for the average fan to really get behind a fullback when they’re so limited going forward.

I like him though, probably shown the biggest improvement in any young player we’ve had in years. By that I mean he was really awful and now positionally and defensively he’s arguably one of our best.

I also quite like the fact Pardew told him he would never be a Premier League defender and years later Rafa rates him as one of the most under appreciated. Classic Pards.