Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It's not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It's having loads of money to spend on players and ignoring everything else. the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

Wrong the noise, passion, feeling of belonging will be greater after this takeover than at any point in the last 13 years.

So would having any other owner.

Granted but your kidding yourself if you don’t think this takeover has captured the imagination like no other. It could take us to 90’s levels of excitement, something a whole generation of our support have never experienced.

What is a club in any case? Not the buildings or the directors or the people who are paid to represent it. It's not the television contracts, get-out clauses, marketing departments or executive boxes. It's having loads of money to spend on players and ignoring everything else. the noise, the passion, the feeling of belonging, the pride in your city.

“Don’t ever give up on your club. Keep supporting it, it’s your club and trust me, one day you will get your club back and it will be everything you wanted it to be.”

Yes, NUFC being owned by and connected with the Saudi state is presumably what Keegan meant by the club being ours again and it being everything we all want it to be.

I think he meant there would be a time when we would compete and have a chance at success again. Not sure he was being specific regarding ownership.  I understand your disdain for the new owners and the countries human rights.  I agree it’s a massive issue. Perhaps this will be highlighted and acted on as their ownership of our club progresses?

With it being beyond our control you’d have to hope so. Until then a lot of people in the fan base had better get used and listening to the arguments against.

I am struggling to understand the “if it’s not the Saudis I’m done” argument? Liverpool are owned by Americans and they’ve done pretty f***ing well. What if the American bidders were to invest in the team, the infrastructure, and build us towards a team challenging the top 6? You wouldn’t want that? And we get that without any of the baggage associated with the PCP bid? That attitude seems crazy to me. There are people writing them off as terrible owners and we don’t even know who they are? Seems bizarre to me. Stifler was writing about them aiming for 17th and keeping Bruce, based on essentially nothing.

I can't speak for anybody else, but to me this (PCP) and the stage is at is a "now or never" moment given everything we know about Ashley and the numerous other interested parties and "bids" from the past that have come to absolutely nothing. If the PL turns down the PCP bid we could be looking at another decade of Mike Ashley, and that would really mean curtains as far as I am concerned. I barely watch our games anymore as it is. To start next season (whenever it starts) with Bruce in the dugout and Ashley in the stands would be hugely deflating after this latest takeover attempt.

I understand why some people oppose the Saudi backed bid and see in them a reason to continue to not return or go to St James' anymore. I am uneasy with their human rights record myself, but this takeover is about much more than that to me. It's about finally getting our club back from the grim hold that Mike Ashley has kept on it for the past 13 miserable years.

Ideally we would have squeaky clean new owners who have the club and the city's interest at heart, but I think to suggest such an owner is just waiting in the wings is fantasy dreamland considering what we know to be true about Mike Ashley.

In reality it's Amanda Stavely's PCP, the Rueben Brothers and the PIF on the one side or Mike Ashley on the other. Of those two I'll take the first option any day of the week thank you very much. I'd be fairly confident they would be better custodians of the club than Ashley has ever been, and if not we'll cross that bridge when we get there. There is no certainty any other prospective owner would be better. I don't think any Newcastle fan demands that they buy the best players in the world and have us challenging for the Champions League anytime soon. Let's start by getting our club back and see it trying to be the best it can be when it's not being actively being destroyed by a parasite owner.

That doesn't mean I condone everything the new owners do or can't oppose or condemn their actions if I feel like it. I use the services and buy the products of many companies that do stuff I don't agree with and I think many people do, knowingly or unknowingly. If the Saudi's don't end up buying us they'll get another club in England or elsewhere. I'd rather it was us and finally see the back of Mike Ashley.

Absolutely fair :thup: my query was really like the “if it’s not them I don’t want anyone else” rather than them being the only shot to get rid of Ashley.

Hold on mate. The “if it’s not the Saudis I’m done” argument you were struggling with is completely different to the “if it’s not them I don’t want anyone else” argument you're bringing up now. I can totally understand that people will be done if this falls through and we're back to 10 years of journalist claiming a takeover from whichever American or Chinese consortium is just around the corner. I think most people realise that it's PCP or bust (i.e. Ashley for the foreseeable) and of those options most Newcastle fans would prefer PCP.

“Don’t ever give up on your club. Keep supporting it, it’s your club and trust me, one day you will get your club back and it will be everything you wanted it to be.”

Yes, NUFC being owned by and connected with the Saudi state is presumably what Keegan meant by the club being ours again and it being everything we all want it to be.

I think he meant there would be a time when we would compete and have a chance at success again. Not sure he was being specific regarding ownership.  I understand your disdain for the new owners and the countries human rights.  I agree it’s a massive issue. Perhaps this will be highlighted and acted on as their ownership of our club progresses?

You would hope so, but money will always talk and the owners now seem to already have an online army of Newcastle fans lining up to fight on their behalf. Beyond any connection with the football club, I have to say I find that a pretty disturbing precedent for the city like. Who knows though, anything could happen.

I am struggling to understand the “if it’s not the Saudis I’m done” argument? Liverpool are owned by Americans and they’ve done pretty f***ing well. What if the American bidders were to invest in the team, the infrastructure, and build us towards a team challenging the top 6? You wouldn’t want that? And we get that without any of the baggage associated with the PCP bid? That attitude seems crazy to me. There are people writing them off as terrible owners and we don’t even know who they are? Seems bizarre to me. Stifler was writing about them aiming for 17th and keeping Bruce, based on essentially nothing.

My perspective goes beyond just the football club. This would be an investment in the entire region and that's worth more than a few good results. Furthermore the the level of investment here would secure our future for the rest of our history. The likes of Man City will never be  in the second tier or clubs again. They're now set for life.

I think you have consider how influential Klopp has been in all this. His achievement this year has totally shrouded the fact they barely spent anything the year after theyd won the champions league. I dont think a single manager in the world could have done what he's done, so when your success becomes dependant on a single individual, then is that really the ideal structure?

This investment effectively puts us at the very top. I dont know how any alternative could even come close to what this particular takeover could offer.

Wrong the noise, passion, feeling of belonging will be greater after this takeover than at any point in the last 13 years.

Granted but your kidding yourself if you don’t think this takeover has captured the imagination like no other. It could take us to 90’s levels of excitement, something a whole generation of our support have never experienced.

In your bubble maybe. Not saying that bubble's not the majority or anything, or that it won't influence the next generation, but I wouldn't count on this being the thing that reunites the existing fan base, this debate will go on for a while and I can see plastics replacing the existing fans who this whole thing doesn't sit right with.

Ironically, having owners who will invest in the club, the buildings and the city will bring back the noise, the pride and the passion IMO. It's been the exact opposite when we've been run like a cold hard business.

Like Man City?

How was the atmosphere at City before they started winning stuff? I don't remember it being that great tbh, plenty of them were converting to Man U as their favourite club.

Nah, they were pretty loyal but were the self proclaimed ‘best fans in the world’. There used to several attendance arguments with usas they had the nerve to sing ‘where were you when you were shit’ at us at St James’.

Genuine question, do you think the loyal City fans regret any of the success they've had under the new ownership? Even without winning anything, I'll bet they would have enjoyed just being in a position to compete again.

There comes a time when reminiscing about the past holds you back somewhat. If people are expecting the KK romantic era to return, I think they will be sorely mistaken. I expect this lot to be ruthless and unflinching towards every aspect.

Staveley might have sounded out fan groups and even the likes of KK for ambassador but ultimately these things rarely last and quite frankly I couldn't give a shite if we start competing for honours.

I've never delved into the Man City fans outlook on it, but Ricky Hatton is pretty well known for preferring everything pre-take over.

Isnt he that drunk who has been punched in the head multiple times?

In your bubble maybe. Not saying that bubble's not the majority or anything, or that it won't influence the next generation, but I wouldn't count on this being the thing that reunites the existing fan base, this debate will go on for a while and I can see plastics replacing the existing fans who this whole thing doesn't sit right with.

Think you’ll be surprised by how many old school lads will make a comeback if he goes.

Don’t think the atmosphere as it is at the minute could be any worse.

Beyond any connection with the football club, I have to say I find that a pretty disturbing precedent for the city like.

Oh do fuck off. There's life outside the NUFC bubble you live in round here and believe it or not there's thousands of people in 'the city' who couldnt give a shit either way. Fucking grow up man.

There comes a time when reminiscing about the past holds you back somewhat. If people are expecting the KK romantic era to return, I think they will be sorely mistaken. I expect this lot to be ruthless and unflinching towards every aspect.

Staveley might have sounded out fan groups and even the likes of KK for ambassador but ultimately these things rarely last and quite frankly I couldn't give a shite if we start competing for honours.

Yeah I agree with this. To be honest they could rename the club, turn St James' into student accommodation, build a new ground at the Silverlink, publicly behead Keegan - as long as we compete for Champion's League places and spend big money in the transfer windows it's all good by me.

I've never delved into the Man City fans outlook on it, but Ricky Hatton is pretty well known for preferring everything pre-take over.

Cracking boxer in his day. Got a couple of bad KO’s towards the end. Always seemed a canny bloke tbf ??‍♂️

Yeah I agree with this. To be honest they could rename the club, turn St James' into student accommodation, build a new ground at the Silverlink, publicly behead Keegan - as long as we compete for Champion's League places and spend big money in the transfer windows it's all good by me.

:lol: :lol: Oh Penn.  :smitten:

Cracking boxer in his day. Got a couple of bad KO’s towards the end. Always seemed a canny bloke tbf ??‍♂️

Yeah, I was just kidding. Nothing wrong with enjoy the past and the future. I reckon if you gave Ricky a choice he would choose the takeover.

Beyond any connection with the football club, I have to say I find that a pretty disturbing precedent for the city like.

Oh do f*** off. There's life outside the NUFC bubble you live in round here and believe it or not there's thousands of people in 'the city' who couldnt give a s*** either way. f***ing grow up man.

I wonder why my personal view on it has touched such a nerve with you. Very strange

Think you’ll be surprised by how many old school lads will make a comeback if he goes.

Don’t think the atmosphere as it is at the minute could be any worse.

It'll be be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Thought this lad was supposed to a good WUM? :lol:

I understand the Staveley or noone arguement

This is the one chance we have to get in the big time

Clubs struggling financially

Man City, Liverpool aside other clubs are transitioning

Due to Ashley (and in no fanboy) are spending power due to current FFP compliance is huge! (That's without improved sponsor deals)

Reduced transfer fees

Stadium and Training ground regeneration and quick!

We have so much opportunity for growth its untrue

That's the football side

The community side

The Saudis/Reubens will want to turn us into a super city, a super hub of the North. The regeneration will be amazing in terms of jobs and investment

They wont settle for anything other than the best with their reputations!

If it's someone else, it's like going from Shearer to Gayle! Hell do a job and is better than Joelinton (Ashley) but will never be good enough  to make us challenge

This. Purely for the benefit of the football club and city in general, Staveley and the Reubens are by far the best bet.

Each to their own. It’s a forum and everyone is entitled to their own views.  The forum would be boring as fuck if everyone just re-quoted comments with thumbs up and clapping hands for evermore.

Personally I’m happy as fuck and excited as to where this journey will take us. The end of the Ashley era should be enough joy for most. Let’s see how it develops.

I think everyones well aware of your opinion without you having to repeat it every 2 minutes. The ability to post after deleting your account is quite impressive also  :lol: