Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

It's the same questions being raised from different angles over and over again. We know there's an issue with piracy, we know of the Saudi regimes abhorrent human rights record – but who articulates them isn't going to impact anything, it's how they can be used as an argument for the Premier League to deny them the takeover. So these symbolic and somewhat dramatic statements, where an MP all of a sudden is really, really, really concerned about tv piracy, it's all a bit weird.

There's another apparent shift in tone. For 13 years, I really think there was sympathy in the emotions expressed about Mike Ashley owning us, but also a sentiment of Newcastle fans not doing things in the right way if they wanted to boycott or encourage others to do so.

Now, it's different, now we run the risk of associating ourselves with the ownership and the only way we can avoid doing so is...what? Turn our backs on the club?

Whatever the decision of the Premier League is, I hope this newfound nationwide and political interest in who owns a football club is here to stay. I think fans of Coventry, Sunderland, Charlton, Macclesfield, Blackpool, Bolton, Bury, Gateshead, Doncaster and most other clubs would welcome actual consideration and regulation too, but I suspect it's not here to stay for too long.

If the PL had any intention of approving this it would have been done so by now. They’re simply stalling until they can find enough excuses to reject it and put the blame elsewhere. Their dream scenario is the government coming in and stopping it or buyer walking away.

I think it's time for you to log off for a bit dude.

They don’t want this. They don’t want to upset the top 6, they don’t want the heat from BeIN. They don’t want the scrutiny from journos and letters from aggrieved parties. The only thing stopping them rejecting outright is the know they’ll be in court and paying out the arse in legal fees and compensation, at a time the league has several hundred million in the balance.

When this landed on their doorstep they’d have thought ohh fuck. The noise on them changing the rules would suggest all of this, if they could go back in time 6 months and changed them then they would do.

If the PL had any intention of approving this it would have been done so by now. They’re simply stalling until they can find enough excuses to reject it and put the blame elsewhere. Their dream scenario is the government coming in and stopping it or buyer walking away.

They don’t want this. They don’t want to upset the top 6, they don’t want the heat from BeIN. They don’t want the scrutiny from journos and letters from aggrieved parties. The only thing stopping them rejecting outright is the know they’ll be in court and paying out the arse in legal fees and compensation, at a time the league has several hundred million in the balance.

When this landed on their doorstep they’d have thought ohh fuck. The noise on them changing the rules would suggest all of this, if they could go back in time 6 months and changed them then they would do.

That's your opinion though, unless you know someone who works there?

That "don't want to upset the top 6" is utter tripe btw.

And what hasn’t been opinion on this subject? It’s a forum.

It is time for Chi Onwurah to represent her constituency and make a valid points how this takeover can help creating jobs and making significant investment in her jurisdiction. I don't blame other MP's try to help their teams. What she did in her fact finding town hall last week is giving platform to the right groups an Qatar media machine to have more negative things to say about this takeover.

A Tory MP opposing the Saudis and a Labour MP arguing their case is weird

They would have no legal right.

Honestly the Premier League stand to lose plenty on this.

Would they prefer it to be Man Utd the Saudi’s we’re taking over? I believe so, however right now they are at risk of having to pay back up to £500m to TV broadcasters. They are going to have clubs in financial difficulty, Burnley have already warned them of this. I think Norwich maybe in serious trouble as well. Clubs further down the league system are going to go to the wall. They are going to have every supporter base asking them where the money has gone from years gone by? Why aren’t they helping clubs, players, and fans?

They need as many clubs as possible to be financially safe. This sale would ensure Newcastle can see out this period of time, having Ashley as an owner might not be the case. Having Ashley gain £300m May also mean that he may have money to spare for a club further down the football pyramid (as rumoured in the press).

On top of this, the legal challenges they’d face if they were seen to change the rules as they go along, or seen to be deliberately waiting/asking for outside intervention would be huge and something they would likely lose.

Would the Premier prefer Man Utd to be taken over to return them to the top? Yes, however I doubt they would be against having a long term challenging Newcastle. They will see this as an opportunity to showcase 7 Premier League clubs all battling for the top 4 places. That’s a lot more games of interest added to their ‘product’.

I think whats annoying me at the minute is how the leak makes it open to public debate. If this wasn't leaked I assume its all 100% behind closed doors with no influence from any parties. The fact that press can say pressure is mounting from external forces means if it does fail I hope its all rewritten and allowed open to public consultation  first before allowed to be voted it.

Tbf everything you said they don't want is probably right.  But you're omitting what they do want, the money, which would normally overrule everything else.

As caulkin said it just needs to play out.  Tbh I'm a lot more sceptical now but I'd still be fuckin amazed if they knock back the saudis money, because if they allow them in now, you can guarantee it ups the ante when it comes to bidding for the rights in a couple of years.

Its amazing how everyone became lawyers overnight ffs :lol:

Over the last few years the internet has turned us all into very convincing economists, epidemiologists, politicians and now lawyers, as the various situations demand :lol:

And what hasn’t been opinion on this subject? It’s a forum.

Well, quite. But as I said, I'm interested in knowing why that's your opinion. It has to be based on something right?

Media: This is brilliant, we have sports material for at least another month. What potential stumbling block shall we throw out there for the takeover today?

Twitter: GEEEOOOORGE!  :frantic:

Welcome to the current world we live in. Social media + Arguably the most polarizing government in the world + a fan base and city who HATE their current owner + football = a recipe for a very brutally public saga

Nobody really wins here

What if Saudi Arabia just promises Premier League that they'll outbid Bein for the TV rights? That should end Beout.

If PL really wants to tackle the streaming issue, invite SA into the circle.

Welcome to the current world we live in. Social media + Arguably the most polarizing government in the world + a fan base and city who HATE their current owner + football = a recipe for a very brutally public saga

Nobody really wins here

:thup: although I would also + vaccuum of anything else happening because of killer disease

This was never going to happen any other way

Haven’t the government already said they aren’t going to get involved ?

Anyways I’m out can’t be bothered with it any more will check back in a few days for any news.

Yes. Like before this is just 1 MP asking for something that they won’t get. A Sheffield MP asked about them intervening a few weeks ago and was rejected. This is very much the same. The MP’s know it will be rejected, but stuff like this is an easy win for supporters. For Conservative MP’s it also helps to deflect the attention off the handling of the pandemic. It is nothing more than PR.

Haven’t the government already said they aren’t going to get involved ?

Anyways I’m out can’t be bothered with it any more will check back in a few days for any news.

Yes. Like before this is just 1 MP asking for something that they won’t get. A Sheffield MP asked about them intervening a few weeks ago and was rejected. This is very much the same. The MP’s know it will be rejected, but stuff like this is an easy win for supporters. For Conservative MP’s it also helps to deflect the attention off the handling of the pandemic. It is nothing more than PR.

:thup:

Guest awaymag

Its amazing how everyone became lawyers overnight ffs :lol:

Over the last few years the internet has turned us all into very convincing economists, epidemiologists, politicians and now lawyers, as the various situations demand :lol:

from my point of view ( I know no-one cares).

1) Saudi Government and especially PIF have not been proven to be involved in the Bein piracy by BeOUTQ.  BeOutQ stopped broadcasting in August 2019 so is no longer an issue anyway.  Also French court found in favour of ArabSat and ordered Bein to pay costs.  Therefore this piracy thing should be a red herring

2) Amnesty International and Hatice Cengiz letters.  What has happened and is happening is truly awful but PIF is an investment fund, and a separate legal entity.  The fit and proper tests of the directors are not a moral test.

3)  10 other premier league clubs aren't happy about the takeover.    So what, you have no say (or should have no say).  Im sure most other clubs weren't happy when Man C got taken over but that didn't stop anything.

If the premierleague stops the take over for anyone of the above reasons then the rules have been changed.

For me, the reaction since it companies house document has proved that the status quo are scared of how powerful Newcastle can become and that has them rattled.  If the takeover doesn't go ahead then I am done with football as it has shown it is a closed shop.  If Newcastle won't be allowed to compete with the big boys then there is no point to it!

The journos are probably bricking it as much as Qatar and gibbon mitts are.

Whatever will they write about from now on? NUFC and it’s endless drama has provided them with a living up to this point.

High profile transfer speculation isn’t nearly as appealing..

The journos are probably bricking it as much as Qatar and gibbon mitts are.

Whatever will they write about from now on? NUFC and it’s endless drama has provided them with a living up to this point.

High profile transfer speculation isn’t nearly as appealing..

West Ham are fast becoming our rivals.

Relegation battles year upon year.

Fans protesting against the owners.

Constant stadium issues.

Recently won the 1966 World Cup.