Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Absolutely cracking read from Michael Martin again;

http://www.true-faith.co.uk/takeover-smelling-a-rat/

He probably deserves the club to fold after writing that.

Just read it, it's absolutely on the money. Don't know what you disagree with on their, but it strikes a chord with genuine fans I'll bet.

I disagree with this:

Anyway! Let’s go back to the press. It’s apparently another one of those complete coincidences, that the press are all over an open letter – apparently (cough) written by Hatice Cengiz, the fiance of murdered journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

Ms Cengiz’s media profile has increased exponentially since it became likely the takeover was going through and coincidentally roughly around the same time as The Guardian was doing the big reveal about new legal documents being submitted (by whom we don’t know) and The Mirror was telling us all about ten PL clubs being against the new Newcastle United owners. All a complete coincidence I’m sure.

Conspiracy theory at best.

Let me include the bit you left out:

Ms Cengiz’s media profile has increased exponentially since it became likely the takeover was going through and coincidentally roughly around the same time as The Guardian was doing the big reveal about new legal documents being submitted (by whom we don’t know) and The Mirror was telling us all about ten PL clubs being against the new Newcastle United owners. All a complete coincidence I’m sure.

Now, it is a delicate choice of words to be deployed when responding to anyone who has lost a loved one and particularly in such brutal circumstances as Ms Cengiz’s fiancé, the journalist Jamal Khashoggi. But although I’m likely on a hiding to nowt here goes. Any decent person would have to be extremely cold-hearted not to have every piece of compassion for Ms Cengiz, whose grief we can only imagine. But she is being used in a callous PR game to generate bad publicity for buyers of Newcastle United to suit an agenda which I’d guess is all about money. I make no accusation of any kind against Ms Cengiz. Those who have led her to draft this letter to Newcastle United supporters, calling upon us to oppose the takeover will know this is ridiculous and stupid.

That puts the bit you quoted in lot better context. I agree with it.

How does he know that though? he doesn't, he's presenting supposition as fact. He has no idea if she wrote it or not, and her media profile has not increased exponentially. Maybe she simply doesn't like the idea of her husbands murderer being venerated in an English city? And as for the "coincidentally" bit, well it doesn't make any sense. Is he saying this a coordinated effort between her puppet masters,  the legal documents, and the PL clubs? they are all in it together? that's nonsense. Of course things came out around the same time? why wouldn't they? that doesn't mean anything at all. I personally think he (us too) should stay out of any kind of accusations towards her as its callous and unbecoming and ridiculous. Take it on face value, if you don't agree with her you don't have to.

This is insane to me:

Those journalists or professional PR men who have worked Ms Cengiz … or rather worked to exploit her grief will know that. This is all about creating headlines to build a mood of opposition against the takeover. I

he can not state this as fact, he might think it but its reprehensible imo to start throwing that about

He's not actually said anything against her, in fact he's offered sympathy, the people he's had a go at are those who are drafting her letters and putting her digital signature to. Even then he admits he's guessing at their motives. He's a fanzine writer, not a professional reporter, as such I think he's allowed a fan's voice. It's opinion, not fact.

So the murder of Khashoggi (and especially the fact it was caught on tape) was the biggest PR disaster MBS has had (and there's been a lot).  And yet a year later there's thousands of westerners, who previously thought of the Saudis as the hand-chopping medieval cunts behind 9/11 (if they thought of them at all) on Twitter with Saudi flags in their username spreading Saudi state propaganda, claiming the journalist who was murdered was actually a spy and a terrorist and that doing direct deals with the crown prince isn't any morally different to buying a phone made in China.  So it's not really hard to see why they reckon its worth spending hundreds of millions of state money for Gareth Bale to kick a football around on the other side of the globe really, is it.

The question I struggle with is: would PIF be interested in buying our club if he wasn’t killed?

You honestly think they are buying a football club in the hope of distracting from one incident? Could be an expensive business if they do that to gloss over every negative article that's published about SA.

Just a quick question.... It's called "The owners' and directors' test" but in the actual text, there's only information regarding people being appointed as directors. Why can't the Saudis own 80% of the club and just not appoint a director?

I mean right now, Charnley is our only director, is he not? Surely this new consortium just need to find one person who isn't disqualifiable? Or am I missing something glaringly obvious?

Section F, here, it's only a few pages:

https://resources.premierleague.com/premierleague/document/2020/05/11/9de08b33-1f94-4ac7-9868-8bb157807062/2019-20-PL-Handbook-070520.pdf

In other words, can they only say "no" to a particular director, rather than "no" to the actual takeover?

<b>Owners</b> and Directors test :-)

Yeah, I get that. But which part of the actual text prevents anyone owning a club? It's all about being a director. The word "Owner" only features in the chapter heading, all of the reasons for disqualification specifically refer to directors.

To go further, there is ONE bit about ownership, section F23:

No Person may acquire any Holding in a Club if, pursuant to the law of the United

Kingdom or the European Union:

F.23.1. he is prohibited from entering the United Kingdom; or

F.23.2. no funds or economic resources may be made available, directly or

indirectly, to or for his benefit

The question I struggle with is: would PIF be interested in buying our club if he wasn’t killed?

You honestly think they are buying a football club in the hope of distracting from one incident? Could be an expensive business if they do that to gloss over every negative article that's published about SA.

Possibly, it’s why I’m asking what people think.

It's becoming so silly and draining now. A 2-4 week process looks like going into a sixth week because a lot of noises have been made. The Premier League does like to dramatise everything.

I don't there was ever a deadline, the timings were guesses.

Don't understand this at all mind, appreciate the unprecedented circumstances we're all in, but you'd imagine the league have an actual deadline to work towards, can't just run on forever

So the murder of Khashoggi (and especially the fact it was caught on tape) was the biggest PR disaster MBS has had (and there's been a lot).  And yet a year later there's thousands of westerners, who previously thought of the Saudis as the hand-chopping medieval cunts behind 9/11 (if they thought of them at all) on Twitter with Saudi flags in their username spreading Saudi state propaganda and claiming the journalist who was murdered was actually a spy and a terrorist.  So it's not really hard to see why they reckon its worth spending hundreds of millions of state money for Gareth Bale to kick a football around on the other side of the globe really, is it.

Yeah..."get some of the NUFC fans onboard and vee vill have von the ulteemate victory!!...muahahah!!"  :lol:

Guest reefatoon

The wongaloids were blamed for Ashley not leaving. I’m gonna blame the cliquealoids if this deal doesn’t go through.

As an aside, it might be unpopular, but I'm strongly of the opinion that solid, impartial, quantifiable evidence should be in existence before people make decisive claims about any wrong doing by a person, company or country. An opinion can be held and accusations can be made but without proof of anything followed by conviction it's just suggestion and hearsay only and shouldn't be used to penalise said parties, otherwise it becomes no better than witch-hunts by mobs with pitchforks! All this use of the term 'allegedly' by people who know no better than the next man on the street and base their own opinions on whichever political line or media spin that they choose to believe is pointless, however knowledgeable or superior they want to appear.

On a lighter note, I predict the next seven days will be crucial... *cough*  :lol:

I don't understand why people are fleeing out of the woodwork now. Where was this when the government first said they wouldnt interfere?  People with opposition to what this means are just grabbing anything they can to throw to try and scupper the deal now.

Beyond stupid now. It's one thing if it's the same opposition from the start but when people are popping up now it's taking longer just seems silly. They didnt have a problem with it a month ago when it was "going to be done in a few days or next week."

Possibly, it’s why I’m asking what people think.

I think it is much more likely that it is a country that is going to be going through massive social and economic changes in the next decade, and so they are focusing on providing entertainment as a distraction (goes with bringing in races, fights, WWE, buying into cruise lines and live nation etc.).  Bread and circuses to keep the people happy.

I don't understand why people are fleeing out of the woodwork now. Where was this when the government first said they wouldnt interfere?  People with opposition to what this means are just grabbing anything they can to throw to try and scupper the deal now.

Beyond stupid now. It's one thing if it's the same opposition from the start but when people are popping up now it's taking longer just seems silly. They didnt have a problem with it a month ago when it was "going to be done in a few days or next week."

Desperation. The complaints up to last week have seemed to do nothing so now they're frantically trying to pile pressure on.

Guest awaymag

So the murder of Khashoggi (and especially the fact it was caught on tape) was the biggest PR disaster MBS has had (and there's been a lot).  And yet a year later there's thousands of westerners, who previously thought of the Saudis as the hand-chopping medieval c***s behind 9/11 (if they thought of them at all) on Twitter with Saudi flags in their username spreading Saudi state propaganda, claiming the journalist who was murdered was actually a spy and a terrorist and that doing direct deals with the crown prince isn't any morally different to buying a phone made in China.  So it's not really hard to see why they reckon its worth spending hundreds of millions of state money for Gareth Bale to kick a football around on the other side of the globe really, is it.

Easy stuff for them. That “Kate” account on Twitter has fucking loads of Newcastle fans loving it, and it’s clearly bullshit. You’ve got wraith RT himself with suadi flags, people calling Amnesty mackems, abusing Khashoggi’s widow. Couldn’t be a better investment for them

Really, its only because we are in the NUFC bubble that we see all of this.  If you don't support NUFC/football, this isn't even registering on people's radars.  I mention the takeover just yesterday to the family at tea-time and my wife said, oh is that still not done yet.  No idea about amnesty, saudi twitter flags, piracy etc.    No-one outside of this bubble is interested, better investment, no chance.

So the murder of Khashoggi (and especially the fact it was caught on tape) was the biggest PR disaster MBS has had (and there's been a lot).  And yet a year later there's thousands of westerners, who previously thought of the Saudis as the hand-chopping medieval c***s behind 9/11 (if they thought of them at all) on Twitter with Saudi flags in their username spreading Saudi state propaganda, claiming the journalist who was murdered was actually a spy and a terrorist and that doing direct deals with the crown prince isn't any morally different to buying a phone made in China.  So it's not really hard to see why they reckon its worth spending hundreds of millions of state money for Gareth Bale to kick a football around on the other side of the globe really, is it.

Easy stuff for them. That “Kate” account on Twitter has fucking loads of Newcastle fans loving it, and it’s clearly bullshit. You’ve got wraith RT himself with suadi flags, people calling Amnesty mackems, abusing Khashoggi’s widow. Couldn’t be a better investment for them

Really, its only because we are in the NUFC bubble that we see all of this.  If you don't support NUFC/football, this isn't even registering on people's radars.  I mention the takeover just yesterday to the family at tea-time and my wife said, oh is that still not done yet.  No idea about amnesty, saudi twitter flags, piracy etc.    No-one outside of this bubble is interested, better investment, no chance.

Which is what I said earlier. As if the Saudis are investing in a football club to get some Newcastle fans onside. It's just laughable really.

So worst case this Tory back bencher gets his select committee meeting, I’d imagine timescale for this could be weeks if not months if it involves evidence gathering. As long as uk government don’t intervene which there is no evidence they will, does the premier league delay decision until the committee sits ?

In his e mail he mentions about premier league being present, now going off the Southampton example could they delay until this meeting and pcp can do f#%k all ?

I suspect the premier league haven’t got a clue how to play this at minute, my suspicion is they wait for the select committee to meet, then if it’s damning and implies Saudis are guilty of piracy they use that as there get out and block deal.

Happy for someone to tell me I’m way off, but today has knocked my confidence for the first time in this.

Hopefully someone tells me I’m wrong but I’m starting to think this goes on months.