Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Can people just be honest and say they simply don't give a f*** about human rights abuses? Have the courage of your convictions - the "maybe they're actually trying to reform by buying us!!" s**** is just embarrassing.

I don't give a s**** about human rights abuses within the context of a sport

Thanks bud. Good to get the moral depravity out in the open.  :thup:

You have no idea of my moral depravity.

Keep virtue signalling though, you pure sainted man, sure that'll stop the bombs. :thup:

You won't support the propaganda vehicle of a murderous, theocratic, terrorism-sponsoring regime? What a lily-livered virtue-signaller you are!

Got anything made in China in your house?  Got a car?  Eat chicken?

You turn a blind eye to abuses all the time, every day.  Get tae f*** with this holier than thou bullshit.

It's a football club.  Politics is sorted at the ballot box, not on the pitch.

mister-gotcha-4-9faefa-1.jpg?w=814&ssl=1

One of the classics, that.

Is there anything new and exciting to read today?

Certainly not the last few pages.

Depends whether you're interested in discussing the moral ramifications of the club that is supposed to represent you and your city being owned by these people.

Personally I'm incredibly conflicted and I think it's more worth discussion than "#cans Announce Mbappe, when's the flight arriving?!" shite that makes me want to cringe myself into an early grave.

You've bumped your thread 'Success at what cost?' thread, I think that is probably as good a place as any to discuss the ramifications. This one was started by Jinky Jim to be a broadly positive one so maybe take the more serious stuff over there.

The people who run the western world - governments, bankers, CEOs, multi-nationals - are just as unscrupulous in their pursuit of capital. They mightn't disappear people in the night with the same regularity that the Arabs or the Chinese do, but they'll carpet bomb farmers in Iraq, disfigure national demographics, shit on the environment, pursue technology with zero regard for the consequences and tap into your private life without a second thought.

It's just a bunch of greedy psychopaths competing for power and our media will have you believe that Russia, the Saudis and the Chinese are the real baddies; not us. And definitely not a certain other state in the middle east.

With more specific regard to the takeover, I'm more opposed to it because it's a terrible thing that the filthy rich are able to extend their tentacles all over the globe, eating up businesses, institutions and ways of life that used to be in the hands of ordinary people.

Nowt we can do. Enjoy the football; oppose the politics.

Depends whether you're interested in discussing the moral ramifications of the club that is supposed to represent you and your city being owned by these people.

Personally I'm incredibly conflicted and I think it's more worth discussion than "#cans Announce Mbappe, when's the flight arriving?!" s**** that makes me want to cringe myself into an early grave.

But that is what this thread was set up for in the first place, to have a giggle with it, reading all the daft tweets and stuff and just not taking everything so serious. Absolutely no point coming into it if you find it too cringe. We have plenty of other threads for the deep thinking stuff, was just nice to keep one thread as a bit of a giggle, though doesn’t seem like it’s possible.

:thup:  My thoughts exactly.

Personally I'm incredibly conflicted and I think it's more worth discussion than "#cans Announce Mbappe, when's the flight arriving?!" s**** that makes me want to cringe myself into an early grave.

But that is what this thread was set up for in the first place, to have a giggle with it, reading all the daft tweets and stuff and just not taking everything so serious. Absolutely no point coming into it if you find it too cringe. We have plenty of other threads for the deep thinking stuff, was just nice to keep one thread as a bit of a giggle, though doesn’t seem like it’s possible.

With reefatoon[/member] on this one.

The thread was created for the silly stuff from twitter n etc. regarding the takeover, an alternative to the doomsday/negative/realistic one from the original Mike Ashley thread.

Anyone who wanted to cringe or sulk, or be bothered about Ashley or Saudis or whatever it was, certainly this thread was not the place.

Seriously, can we keep all the political stuff out of here? Really miss the silly tweets from the first page and all. Can someone start finding stuff like that again? f***ing tired with this political guff.

The people who run the western world - governments, bankers, CEOs, multi-nationals - are just as unscrupulous in their pursuit of capital. They mightn't disappear people in the night with the same regularity that the Arabs or the Chinese do, but they'll carpet bomb farmers in Iraq, disfigure national demographics, shit on the environment, pursue technology with zero regard for the consequences and tap into your private life without a second thought.

It's just a bunch of greedy psychopaths competing for power and our media will have you believe that Russia, the Saudis and the Chinese are the real baddies; not us. And definitely not a certain other state in the middle east.

With more specific regard to the takeover, I'm more opposed to it because it's a terrible thing that the filthy rich are able to extend their tentacles all over the globe, eating up businesses, institutions and ways of life that used to be in the hands of ordinary people.

Nowt we can do. Enjoy the football; oppose the politics.

This, basically.

There's always twitter for tweets.

There's also a thread been created specifically for those who want to discuss the downsides and political ramifications of being taken over by an undesirable regime.

Seruously, can we keep all the political stuff out of here? Really miss the silly tweets from the first page and all. Can someone start finding stuff like that again? f***ing tired with this political guff.

sorry to say get used to it because guess what football media has nothing else to talk about atm

Seruously, can we keep all the political stuff out of here? Really miss the silly tweets from the first page and all. Can someone start finding stuff like that again? f***ing tired with this political guff.

This

I’m just here for the crazy rumours and stupid gifs

You know when you hear the phrase "some people just want to be miserable"? I always thought ultimately that isn't true, but if you can't just be happy that Ashley is leaving then I reckon you had some pretty average birthday parties in your time.

Bit confused by the idea that you'd have to "do this" and "think that" and sort of categorize yourself as a Newcastle fan because of this.

It's not impossible to be excited by Ashley's departure, enthusiastic about Newcastle United once again being interested in moving forward and acquiring some sporting ambition for the first time in 13 years – and still feel disgusted by the fact that the option presented to you is to see the club become a sports-washing tool for a murderous regime. These feelings aren't exclusive. You can subscribe to them all at once. I am.

As has been posted repeatedly in this thread, the idea that fans bear some sort of responsibility in a system like this is beyond absurd. We didn't choose Mike Ashley and we won't choose the Saudi Arabian state, it's not a preference, a political allegiance, it's the dark and sad consequences of international football in 2020. The choice is not about Newcastle United for me, it's about international football. The Premier League, the Champions League – even the fucking World Cup. This is what you get these days, these things and this moral hazard comes with the package, it's part of the equation and the people responsible for letting the football system slide to this point aren't fans who want to see their clubs do well.

I'm thrilled and deeply emotional by the prospect of Ashley leaving. He's a trauma, he's caused a great deal of suffering and frustration for me personally and the football club that I feel very, very attached to. Just because we can't choose who replaces him, I won't deny myself the feeling of excitement in this moment. I'm unconditionally in love with the idea of Newcastle United rather than what it presents me with in a given moment, most of us are. Most of that idea has become abstract and feels dead because of Ashley and because of the way international football has developed over the last 20 years – but some of it remains, and under new ownership there's at least a theoretical chance I'll get to experience some joy again. That's worth feeling happy about as well.

At the same time, this is bizarre. You want to paint a portrait of the absolute madhouse that is European football in this day and age? Take a look at this club and observe how fans are finding themselves debating what to feel about going from a maniac who spent more than a decade exploiting their affection and loyalty for his own good – to someone who ordered a dismemberment just recently.

The problem that will probably arise here is that fans will start to actually discuss Saudi policies. That battle is lost. Don't go into it, because you don't need to. They're awful, but you can keep supporting Newcastle United anyway.

This, my friend, is an ace post.

sorry to say get used to it because guess what football media has nothing else to talk about atm

Yes it is something that can and should be talked about but not in this thread. There are other threads for that. This thread had a different purpose and alternative to people talking about the same s*** that's being discussed everywhere else.

Can people just be honest and say they simply don't give a fuck about human rights abuses? Have the courage of your convictions - the "maybe they're actually trying to reform by buying us!!" shite is just embarrassing.

I don't give a shite about human rights abuses within the context of a sport

Saudis have their fingers in many services we use everyday. I don’t see why when all of a sudden football is involved people start finding a moral compass.

I don't have quite the same relationship with BP as I do NUFC. This argument isn't going to cut it, sorry.

Don't support NUFC then if this is where you draw your ethical line.

We all pay for services/products day in day out where the cash will end up in the pockets of morally abhorrent individuals, it would be nice if this wasn't the case though. 

I would stop supporting NUFC if they started imposing their backwards views on the club itself however, I couldn't support that.

Can people just be honest and say they simply don't give a fuck about human rights abuses? Have the courage of your convictions - the "maybe they're actually trying to reform by buying us!!" shite is just embarrassing.

I don't give a shite about human rights abuses within the context of a sport

Saudis have their fingers in many services we use everyday. I don’t see why when all of a sudden football is involved people start finding a moral compass.

I don't have quite the same relationship with BP as I do NUFC. This argument isn't going to cut it, sorry.

Don't support NUFC then if this is where you draw your ethical line.

We all pay for services/products day in day out where the cash will end up in the pockets of morally abhorrent individuals, it would be nice if this wasn't the case though. 

I would stop supporting NUFC if they started imposing their backwards views on the club itself however, I couldn't support that.

Yep. If they start insisting female staff at the club shop start wearing burkas, I am out.