Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

:lol:

:lol: I could live without Gareth Bale, like.

If we're being choosy I don't love the thought of a blank chequebook. It's not like I care about winning. Just getting the club back is enough.

Exactly

I’d have to agree. I’d rather a genuine and methodical approach at building the club organically. Part of me is actually more excited to see what the Reuben’s do with Pilgrim Street and develop the city centre.

I just want to support my club again and for the city to benefit from it.

This is literally the best tome in football history to be taken over by Arab billionaires.

Every other club in the world are going to be looking at their squad and thinking about how they might be able to raise an extra £20-£50m and in we come. It will be like the world’s most expensive sweet shop.

Im guessing those who do have a problem with the Saudis involvement are going to leave the forum and not bang on about it every 2 mins as thryll not be supporting the club any longer and have no need to be here?

You might want to consider some slightly more complicated positions.

Can people just be honest and say they simply don't give a fuck about human rights abuses? Have the courage of your convictions - the "maybe they're actually trying to reform by buying us!!" shite is just embarrassing.

I don't give a shite about human rights abuses within the context of a sport

Thanks bud. Good to get the moral depravity out in the open.  :thup:

Saudis have their fingers in many services we use everyday. I don’t see why when all of a sudden football is involved people start finding a moral compass.

Can people just be honest and say they simply don't give a fuck about human rights abuses? Have the courage of your convictions - the "maybe they're actually trying to reform by buying us!!" shite is just embarrassing.

You have no idea of my moral depravity.

Keep virtue signalling though, you pure sainted man, sure that'll stop the bombs. :thup:

You won't support the propaganda vehicle of a murderous, theocratic, terrorism-sponsoring regime? What a lily-livered virtue-signaller you are!

Got anything made in China in your house?  Got a car?  Eat chicken?

You turn a blind eye to abuses all the time, every day.  Get tae fuck with this holier than thou bullshit.

It's a football club.  Politics is sorted at the ballot box, not on the pitch.

Saudis have their fingers in many services we use everyday. I don’t see why when all of a sudden football is involved people start finding a moral compass.

Well, a long time ago football clubs were meant to mean something in terms of cities, people and maybe values.

Is it really fair to say that giving a shit about whether your club is owned by murderers and human rights abusers is virtue signalling?

No, but going after people with different opinions to yours about their "moral depravity" is pretty boring.

Guest neesy111

Keep virtue signalling though, you pure sainted man, sure that'll stop the bombs. :thup:

You won't support the propaganda vehicle of a murderous, theocratic, terrorism-sponsoring regime? What a lily-livered virtue-signaller you are!

You turn a blind eye to abuses all the time, every day.  Get tae fuck with this holier than thou bullshit.

Well you would say that, you live in a country that doesn't allow ballot boxes.

Im guessing those who do have a problem with the Saudis involvement are going to leave the forum and not bang on about it every 2 mins as thryll not be supporting the club any longer and have no need to be here?

You might want to consider some slightly more complicated positions.

Only if it's from the side currently shouting the loudest. People have considered the possibility the Saudi gov are trying to change, but the latest is you aren't allowed to think that.

We do but only for export :lol:

There’s enough mental gymnastics going on in here.

I dread to think of how the section of our support will justify being owned by ‘muzzies’ in their tiny little brains

How many do you think are doing the same but with the concept of us being owned by 'probable murderers' instead of 'muzzies'?

Lots, hence the first line of my post

Bit confused by the idea that you'd have to "do this" and "think that" and sort of categorize yourself as a Newcastle fan because of this.

It's not impossible to be excited by Ashley's departure, enthusiastic about Newcastle United once again being interested in moving forward and acquiring some sporting ambition for the first time in 13 years – and still feel disgusted by the fact that the option presented to you is to see the club become a sports-washing tool for a murderous regime. These feelings aren't exclusive. You can subscribe to them all at once. I am.

As has been posted repeatedly in this thread, the idea that fans bear some sort of responsibility in a system like this is beyond absurd. We didn't choose Mike Ashley and we won't choose the Saudi Arabian state, it's not a preference, a political allegiance, it's the dark and sad consequences of international football in 2020. The choice is not about Newcastle United for me, it's about international football. The Premier League, the Champions League – even the fucking World Cup. This is what you get these days, these things and this moral hazard comes with the package, it's part of the equation and the people responsible for letting the football system slide to this point aren't fans who want to see their clubs do well.

I'm thrilled and deeply emotional by the prospect of Ashley leaving. He's a trauma, he's caused a great deal of suffering and frustration for me personally and the football club that I feel very, very attached to. Just because we can't choose who replaces him, I won't deny myself the feeling of excitement in this moment. I'm unconditionally in love with the idea of Newcastle United rather than what it presents me with in a given moment, most of us are. Most of that idea has become abstract and feels dead because of Ashley and because of the way international football has developed over the last 20 years – but some of it remains, and under new ownership there's at least a theoretical chance I'll get to experience some joy again. That's worth feeling happy about as well.

At the same time, this is bizarre. You want to paint a portrait of the absolute madhouse that is European football in this day and age? Take a look at this club and observe how fans are finding themselves debating what to feel about going from a maniac who spent more than a decade exploiting their affection and loyalty for his own good – to someone who ordered a dismemberment just recently.

The problem that will probably arise here is that fans will start to actually discuss Saudi policies. That battle is lost. Don't go into it, because you don't need to. They're awful, but you can keep supporting Newcastle United anyway.

I don't have quite the same relationship with BP as I do NUFC. This argument isn't going to cut it, sorry.

Guest neesy111

We do but only for export :lol:

:lol:

If I was that disgusted about it, I would stop following Newcastle for sure. Ashley and Pardew got me cheering for the opposition ffs, should not be that hard for Disgusted from Tunbridge Wells to turn off and tune out.

mister-gotcha-4-9faefa-1.jpg?w=814&ssl=1

It's perfectly possible to enjoy supporting the club but still disapprove of the actions of the owners in other areas. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.

My main gripe with Ashley has always been his running of the club I supported. I've only ever drawn attention to his s*** business practices as a way to put pressure on his ownership of the club. For example, whilst I acknowledge he's a c***, I can't say I lose any sleep about how Philip Green runs his retail empire. He's of no consequence to me.

What I want from my football club owner is someone who does their best firstly for the football club and, secondly, the region. Irrespective of how much I disapprove of their other practices, I'm not going to fight against them if they're doing their best on the footballing front. I'll let others who are involved in that specific area fight that fight, because first and foremost I'm a football supporter, not a diplomat or MP or Journalist. Let others do their job in that regard and I'll do mine of enjoying the football.

After 13 years, I f***ing deserve that much. I'm too tired.

Pretty much how I see it from my post a couple of pages back. Save the righteous indignation to those who battle it every day, it's not like any of us were up in arms about Sheffield Utd, Man City or Chelsea so why should we treat our club any different? As long as the club and region are treated with respect, invested in and taken forward then that's all that really affects us :thup:

Whilst I appreciate everyone's views, somehow it needs to be sticky'd that this is fundamentally different to a takeover by an individual person because no matter how many times it's said, it doesn't seem to be sinking in.

This is different because we're going to be 80% owned by a kingdom - not a person. As a result, anything the kingdom does will be reflected on us by association. Every time they bomb Yemen, every time they murder a journalist, every time they arrest and give the death penalty to a woman for peacefully campaigning for a modicum of equality, we'll be associated and therefore there will be a school of thought that following NUFC/investing in products/buying a season ticket infers that you agree with the kingdom/are willing to offer your money to support what they do. It's also important to remember that they're investing in us to distract from and ultimately attempt to change the outward perception of the kingdom - sportswashing.

I'm just as conflicted as everyone else because I'd quite like to enjoy supporting NUFC again, but this does come with a very difficult morality-based decision.

This is different to Man City, different to Sheffield United, different to Chelsea etc etc and it's really important to remember that.

At the same time, it's also quite possible that they want to gradually move away from their despicable past, otherwise why bother engaging at all with western culture?

The whole point of it is to improve the perception of them in the west. The UAE/Qatar haven't moved on from their past since buying Man City/PSG

Well, a long time ago football clubs were meant to mean something in terms of cities, people and maybe values.

Yeah - but that was quite a long time ago.  Not sure we've even had that in recent memory, given the way the Halls and the Shepherds treated the club.

Feel like Journo's are objecting purely in bad faith to pressure the PL into failing the director's test.

Or more likely they support teams that are feeling threatened by a resurgent NUFC.

mister-gotcha-4-9faefa-1.jpg?w=814&ssl=1

:lol: That's a great cartoon.

Guest neesy111

For me, the only reason Saudi Arabia has opened up etc and has it's PIF is what it all goes back to the middle eastern countries and it's money.  Their economy is 95% dependent on oil, they need to diversify and quickly as well as the transition to a post oil world is going to be accelerated by the current situation we are in.

Jinky Jim, any chance you can start another feel good thread? This one has gone to p*ss.

Absolutely this. This started as a feel good thread but today, the moral police have come in and turned the thread upside down. Should have gone to the old Mike Ashley thread if they wanted to cry their eyes out Ashley is leaving for another monster supposedly. Keep this thread for its original purpose ffs. Boring as f*** reading it today compared with yesterday.