Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

I couldn't give a toss if there are other interested parties or not. It's this current lot or bust. No other buyer will look to invest in us as heavily as the Saudis or try to grow us as significantly on a sporting level, and any American buyer will just be a glorified version of Ashley. No thanks.

In my 35 years of supprting NUFC I have always believed we could be an elite club with the right people running it. I believe that those exact people have now finally turned up. If the PL reject this proposal from them then that's me done with football. With the way the game is now, no other other owner would bring with them the total committment to ensure that NUFC fulfills it's potential. If that now makes me a glory supporter then I am ok with that. I have done my time watching unambitious and parasitic owners dismantle this club and actively try to work against its potential.  I have no more time or energy to follow the events of another takeover farce if this one falls through.

I couldn't give a fuck about the human rights angle either. I don't care where Saudi Arabia are as a country in terms of human rights, where they have been or where they are going. I just want their money for us as a club and the investment they will bring to our city. That's not to say I don't care about human rights. I do. And if their relationship with NUFC improves their development as a country and makes them more civilised then great, but I wouldn't lose a second of sleep if it doesnt. This is what the vast, vast majority of our fanbase will be thinking too. And if being owned by the Saudis makes us the most hated club in the country then bring it on. It won't though. At worst we will be Marmite, in the way that Man Utd are.

There is absolutely nothing to lose with this takeover going through. The club is currently dead, replaced entirely by SDFC. If this proposed regime somehow does not work out the way we hope and it ends in disaster then we will have lost nothing as the alternative would have been obscurity and an inevitable third relegation under Ashley.

Very well said!

I couldn't give a toss if there are other interested parties or not. It's this current lot or bust. No other buyer will look to invest in us as heavily as the Saudis or try to grow us as significantly on a sporting level, and any American buyer will just be a glorified version of Ashley. No thanks.

In my 35 years of supprting NUFC I have always believed we could be an elite club with the right people running it. I believe that those exact people have now finally turned up. If the PL reject this proposal from them then that's me done with football. With the way the game is now, no other other owner would bring with them the total committment to ensure that NUFC fulfills it's potential. If that now makes me a glory supporter then I am ok with that. I have done my time watching unambitious and parasitic owners dismantle this club and actively try to work against its potential.  I have no more time or energy to follow the events of another takeover farce if this one falls through.

I couldn't give a fuck about the human rights angle either. I don't care where Saudi Arabia are as a country in terms of human rights, where they have been or where they are going. I just want their money for us as a club and the investment they will bring to our city. That's not to say I don't care about human rights. I do. And if their relationship with NUFC improves their development as a country and makes them more civilised then great, but I wouldn't lose a second of sleep if it doesnt. This is what the vast, vast majority of our fanbase will be thinking too. And if being owned by the Saudis makes us the most hated club in the country then bring it on. It won't though. At worst we will be Marmite, in the way that Man Utd are.

There is absolutely nothing to lose with this takeover going through. The club is currently dead, replaced entirely by SDFC. If this proposed regime somehow does not work out the way we hope and it ends in disaster then we will have lost nothing as the alternative would have been obscurity and an inevitable third relegation under Ashley.

That's how I feel.

Personally, I don't see why we as fans should strive to be impartial or even objective on matters that don't concern us at all.

My only real concerns about the potential Saudi involvement is the lack of expertise in PIF,  the worry that they might be hands-on in terms of decision making at the club and their relations with the other shareholders in nufc. Everything else is not my fight to fight.

Not sure what to make of this

I’m fairly sure BeIn let it be known that they would be seeking some sort of compensation if the deal goes through, possibly withholding future payments (if any)

Richard Masters has probably been already assured that SA will take up the slack if this were to happen and would be acquiring the rights next time around.

If BeIn had to let go of a hundred staff over the decline in revenue relating to BeoutQ, they might not be in a position to bid next time anyway.

Sums it up for me, too.

I’m fairly sure BeIn let it be known that they would be seeking some sort of compensation if the deal goes through, possibly withholding future payments (if any)

Richard Masters has probably been already assured that SA will take up the slack if this were to happen and would be acquiring the rights next time around.

If BeIn had to let go of a hundred staff over the decline in revenue relating to BeoutQ, they might not be in a position to bid next time anyway.

I love these imaginary best case scenarios that you all convince yourselves of.

My guess is he’s trying to negotiate a way round this. It has been mooted about Saudi taking tv deal for them UAE and Bahrain. Qatar would keep rest of MENA region.

Certainly interesting but if he’s been allowing them to lobby against bid, well confidentiality is out of the window and would leave them open to legal action.

In Steve Wraith's most recent YouTube video, Neil Mitchell (@geordiedentist) suggested that their is possibly a negotiation underway to have BeIn pay a reduced EMEA region PL license fee and PIF pay a PL license fee covering Saudi televising of PL games.  If this negotiation is underway it would require the PL to speak to BeIn and to convince them to agree.

I couldn't give a f*** about the human rights angle either. I don't care where Saudi Arabia are as a country in terms of human rights, where they have been or where they are going. I just want their money for us as a club and the investment they will bring to our city. That's not to say I don't care about human rights. I do. And if their relationship with NUFC improves their development as a country and makes them more civilised then great, but I wouldn't lose a second of sleep if it doesnt. This is what the vast, vast majority of our fanbase will be thinking too. And if being owned by the Saudis makes us the most hated club in the country then bring it on. It won't though. At worst we will be Marmite, in the way that Man Utd are.

Sums it up for me, too.

Nicely put and sums up the view of everyone I speak to.

Some massively baseless speculation going on.

The PL cant discuss TV rights with the Saudis whilst also taking about the takeover. That amounts to, at best, a conflict of interest and at worst, corruption.

They cant say "we will pass this, if you bid for tv rights."  :lol:

They are looking to see if SA can be properly linked to piracy, which should worry everyone, since they almost certainly were involved.

If Bein are being consulted, it's because they are providing evidence against the Saudi's, not because they are discussing future TV rights FFS.

Like it or not, this takeover is on a knife edge and when Masters said the other week, "we will discuss that when we get to it," it shows now that this part of the process had not properly begun.

Aye, "long-term interest" in the club apparently, had 13 years to buy it, now they're ready to come in just as another consortium is due to complete the takeover, along with no details whatsoever about the groups / main figures involved. How utterly convenient.

Imagine actually believing this  :lol:

Just a little chink about it might be because Ashley has to sell, as he's losing money in all his other businesses, maybe ?

I don't think he ever really wanted to sell before the pandemic, as he was making too much money of us, maybe there was interest but they knew he would just muck them about.

Or as you say, How utterly convenient  :lol:

Isn't the club the one thing he's guaranteed an income from? Obviously, not guaranteed at this point, We still might not even get to the end of this season, if the virus peaks again.

I was thinking along the lines of no crowds allowed, long into next season, maybe even all of it. So he starts losing money possibly if it's a season of no crowds, and then chuck in we're still not safe. The effect of relegation might have on that.

His shops will be allowed to open but making a lot less money. I'm just thinking up a scenario where for once it goes in our favour.

Premier League basically have a choice of if they want to be dragged through the courts by Qatar or the Saudis. No easy option for them.

Not much Qatar can do. If they cant prove, to a reasonable degree, to the PL that SA were involved in piracy, then they have no chance within the courts.

On the other hand, the Saudis could quite easily prove that if they are guilty of piracy, then so too are the other nations and by proxy, clubs.

The PL cant discuss TV rights with the Saudis whilst also taking about the takeover. That amounts to, at best, a conflict of interest and at worst, corruption.

They are looking to see if SA can be properly linked to piracy, which should worry everyone, since they almost certainly were involved.

If Bein are being consulted, it's because they are providing evidence against the Saudi's, not because they are discussing future TV rights FFS.

Like it or not, this takeover is on a knife edge and when Masters said the other week, "we will discuss that when we get to it," it shows now that this part of the process had not properly begun.

As it confidential can the premier league discuss the takeover with bein ?

How do you not know Masters is trying to keep everyone happy to try and avoid legal action. Surely that is the best outcome for premier league.

Great post, I completely agree. I always said Ashley’s lack of ambition would eventually kill the passion. We need this and it’s not just the football club, the city and the whole area would benefit.

To think Saudi's or bust is feckin mental imo. I get why that argument can be made but if there are others interested, and they are genuine. To say no because they're not the Saudi's is crazy.

As it confidential can the premier league discuss the takeover with bein ?

How do you not know Masters is trying to keep everyone happy to try and avoid legal action. Surely that is the best outcome for premier league.

The PL can speak to Bein, provided that it's part of evidence gathering. They can speak to whoever they want but when they do, presumably said party will also have to sign confidentiality forms.

This is a PL investigation, not a Staveley one or a Qatar/Bein one. They choose what is relevant and important with regards to the tests in which they have set.

If they can find any reasonable evidence that breaks any of their tests, then they will block the takeover until whatever the issues is has been sorted.

I suspect that the french courts have a much more stringent set of thresholds than that of the PL, making proving piracy to the PL easier.