Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

Guest godzilla

Are you seriously saying that nobody can have a reasonable opinion on anything without evidence? :lol:

I reasonably believe many things with no evidence whatsoever.

Again, I'm not saying this will fail, I'm just saying it's ridiculous to suggest it cannot. There's too many people in this thread who seem so utterly convinced that this cannot in any way be stopped. You might be in for a shock.

Are you really saying you can knock a multi-million pound deal back, based on a reasonable opinion without evidence  :lol:

What's reasonable in one person's eyes may not be reasonable in another's. I guess the key is, which reason gets the most backing, so essentially becomes a popularity race. I'm sure Adolf Hitler thought gassing the jews was reasonable to him, thankfully the rest of the world wasn't of the same opinion.

Are you seriously saying that nobody can have a reasonable opinion on anything without evidence? :lol:

Again, I'm not saying this will fail, I'm just saying it's ridiculous to suggest it cannot. There's too many people in this thread who seem so utterly convinced that this cannot in any way be stopped. You might be in for a shock.

Are you really saying you can knock a multi-million pound deal back, based on a reasonable opinion without evidence  :lol:

Well thats exactly what the rules say so yeah :lol:

There's a good article in the Athletic today on the PIF and how the acquisition of NUFC fits into their 2030 vision. It goes through some of their other investments this year too.

Any chance you could post it? Thanks

So in that case the PL is just a glorified Country Club and if they don't like the look of you, based on their own little rule book, then you are not getting in?

Yes.

And this lot are in control of the richest league in the world? Dear God.

The Saudi reaction to a knock back based specifically on piracy would be interesting mind. The PL would essentially be saying that the Crown Prince of a sovereign state is Del Boy Trotter.

I'd be amazed if they took that lying down tbh.

I have nothing to back it up but my opinion on this is that they either haven’t started the test yet or have only begun it in the last few days.

Far too busy with the legal implications of either voiding or restarting the season. And they are hardly going to admit that they don’t have the resource to do both at the same time.

Maybe the preliminary financial checks have been done but the serious stuff hasn’t been looked at yet.

His wording in interviews is the giveaway. “I can’t make any comment that would prejudice the process”

If the process had been concluded, how could he prejudice it?

The Saudi reaction to a knock back based specifically on piracy would be interesting mind. The PL would essentially be saying that the Crown Prince of a sovereign state is Del Boy Trotter.

I don't think they would take it lying down but doubt that any appeal would involve them still trying to buy us either. They would just want compensation for the embarrasment of it all.

If this doesnt happen at the first attempt there wont be a 2nd attempt IMO. The whole future of NUFC is on a knife edge.

I don't think they would take it lying down but doubt that any appeal would involve them still trying to buy us either. They would just want compensation for the embarrasment of it all.

If this doesnt happen at the first attempt there wont be a 2nd attempt IMO. The whole future of NUFC is on a knife edge.

Only way it would stick around is Staveley obvs. If she can convince them they'd win an appeal the same way she convinced him to invest. Guess it would depend entirely on what the lawyers say but for the PL to outright say you can't own this club because of piracy in SA would be astonishing. It's why I still think it'll go through.

So would I. Doesn't make it any less likely to happen though. As I say, I think if most of us were asked if we "reasonably believed" they had involvement in BeOUT, I doubt we'd see everyone backing them. :lol:

As a government, they've already shown how petty they can be in dealing with Qatar. Just look up the "Salwa canal", where they plan to quite literally turn Qatar into an island by cutting then off from the mainland with a 70km trench dug along the border, almost entirely out of spite. :lol:

Guest Butcher

There's a good article in the Athletic today on the PIF and how the acquisition of NUFC fits into their 2030 vision. It goes through some of their other investments this year too.

Any chance you could post it? Thanks

Sent you a PM.

I have nothing to back it up but my opinion on this is that they either haven’t started the test yet or have only begun it in the last few days.

I am starting to think this too. Which is utterly ludicrous if true, and just shows how amateurish the people who run this league really are. Can see this rumbling on into the first couple of weeks of the restart.

I am starting to think this too. Which is utterly ludicrous if true, and just shows how amateurish the people who run this league really are. Can see this rumbling on into the first couple of weeks of the restart.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course it hasnt.  :lol:

for the PL to outright say you can't own this club because of piracy in SA would be astonishing. It's why I still think it'll go through.

Why would it be astonishing for a deal to fail on one of the reasons listed in the test itself for the deal to fail? Especially given that the test says they only need to believe that in their reasonable opinion?

I'd be more astonished if it passed. :lol:

Guest godzilla

Think you need to do a bit more research on law:

An opinion is a judgment based on facts, an honest attempt to draw a reasonable conclusion from factual evidence

Guest godzilla

for the PL to outright say you can't own this club because of piracy in SA would be astonishing. It's why I still think it'll go through.

Why would it be astonishing for a deal to fail on one of the reasons listed in the test itself for the deal to fail? Especially given that the test says they only need to believe that in their reasonable opinion?

Think you need to do some more research on what constitutes a 'reasonable opinion'

I find it incredible that a group of people could go to so much trouble negotiating a deal to buy a club, investing countless hours of manpower  - at a considerable financial cost - to strike a deal with the seller, and then risk a deposit of several millions of pounds not being refunded. All in the full knowledge that the deal could be scupppered and all of that invested money lost simply because the people running the PL can turn you away based on their "opinion". Then again, this is the world of football, completely out of kilter with the real world, so it is probably true.

I've made my (reasonable!) opinion clear, I've no wish to argue legalities when I'm not qualified to do so and the consensus seems to be that it would drag through the courts forever anyway. I'm just saying this isn't unstoppable, so I'll shut up now and we'll let nature take its course. Time will tell, like everyone I hope this goes through.

Guest godzilla

I find it incredible that a group of people could go to so much trouble negotiating a deal to buy a club, investing countless hours of manpower  - at a considerable financial cost - to strike a deal with the seller, and then risk a deposit of several millions of pounds not being refunded. All in the full knowledge that the deal could be scupppered and all of that invested money lost simply because the people running the PL can turn you away based on their "opinion". Then again, this is the world of football, completely out of kilter with the real world, so it is probably true.

See my post just above, a reasonable opinion (in law terms) has to be made based on factual evidence.

I'm just trying to imagine the scene. The PL have completed their checks and are now on the video link to Yasir Al-Rumayyan... "Hello Mr Al-Rumayyan, we have concluded our investigation and looked at your proposal for NUFC and it is certainly very impressive. However, as you know, there have been several instances of televised PL games being pirated by an organisation in Saudi Arabia. We have consulted our legal team with regards to this matter and they can find no legal evidence that proves that you or anyone involved with the Saudi PIF contributed to this piracy. However, in our considered opinion, we believe there is no smoke without fire and on those grounds we regret to inform you that we cannot allow your purchase of NUFC. Many thanks for your interest though"

Aye, righto.  :lol:

Only way it would stick around is Staveley obvs. If she can convince them they'd win an appeal the same way she convinced him to invest. Guess it would depend entirely on what the lawyers say but for the PL to outright say you can't own this club because of piracy in SA would be astonishing. It's why I still think it'll go through.

It's a good point. For all the amount of negative press which the Saudis have engendered in Britain down the years, they are still very important trade partners with the UK. I don't think it would go down very well in SA if one of their firms was denied on account of PL officials holding them responsible for piracy when individually they must be clean. Seems like a matter of interpretation, and if so, then you could see it souring relations for much bigger trade deals in future, so I don't think our govt would be happy unless there's some rock solid obstacle which can't be ironed out.