Various: N-O has lost the plot over potential end of Mike Ashley's tenure

Jinky Jim

It’s a good thing for the PL to have another successful team, that argument makes no sense. More fans more money, more reach. More PR

Yes that is true, but it doesn't happen immediately. It takes a few years of success for any particular team to generate money for the PL.

Leicesters year was the most entertaining in bloody ages, but almost certain the PL income was down that year, as they didn't have the reach of the traditional 'big' teams

I'd love to see some sort of study on tv viewing figures for all games, social media engagement etc etc comparing the figures between seasons where theres a tight title race with Leicester (or hell Chelsea or City) winning and Man Utd or Liverpool running away with it (obviously can't really use this season due to the disruption).

My guess is there would be higher viewing figures and general engagement when Man Utd or Liverpool are winning it compared to Leicesters title win.

Seriously doubt that like. I know a lot of casual fans of English football were tuning in when Leicester were on their magic run to the title and there was tremendous hype from the media that wouldn't have been there had one of the usual suspects run away with it. I think after a few years of domination by any one team things become stale and a lot of casual fans lose interest. Obviously die hard fans will always tune in, but that is not their growth market I don't think. They need big stories and big games, and the more teams capable of challenging at the top the better. Same goes for a big team underperforming massively; another reason why casual fans might be more inclined to tune in.

Seeing a lot of talk about the PL only being interested in money etc etc which might be the case but I think in this specific situation it's actually 'legality' that is their top concern/issue.

Put yourself in their shoes here for a minute;

1) Decide to reject the takeover based on piracy concerns then almost certainly prepare for a well funded legal challenge from people (in Staveley) who are not afraid of fighting people in the most powerful courts in the land (Barclays), the second richest UK family (who happen to fund the current party in power) and one of the richest men in the world who you've just embarrassed in possibly the most high profile manner. You don't say no to people like him. I'd imagine this Qatar interference has only strengthened his resolve tbh.

2) Decide to accept the takeover then you have to be absolutely watertight on your decision making processes based on the law/PL rules as they stand because you're very likely to become embroiled in legal challenge from Qatar/Bein in respect of them dropping £500m for TV rights that, in their view, have had their value reduced due to piracy and the PL's lack of integrity by becoming an enabler for the Saudi regime to get much much closer to the action.

Now, either way, they're in for a tough time no matter which way they decide to go.

They have to therefore put this in the hands of the Lawyers and say 'give us a steer here' and then somebody at the PL will need to play God and make the call, probably based on the least damaging interpretation of the legalities against their current rules.

We have to hope this call falls in our favour.

On a legal level waving through the takeover has nothing to do with Qatar/Bein does it? They own the broadcasting rights for a specified period of time for a specified region. Surely they don't have a say in which teams are in the league and who their owners are? On an informal level I understand they can exert huge (commercial) pressure on the PL, but I don't see how they could legally challenge beyond that option being open to any other outsider to the specific deal in question.

Yes and No.

I'd imagine they'd have lawyers all over the PL's interpretation of their rules to ensure total compliance and because those rules don't have a 'murderous, morally questionable' clause then the application of the rules to the Saudi's will almost certainly require some interpretation from Lawyers.

The Lawyers will then provide advice to the PL along the lines of 'we cannot prove contravention of clause 12.3, clause 13.4 is open to interpretation and could be argued either way, clause 16.2 is fine and clause 19.7 is N/A'.

Just as a basic example.

The Lawyers will not make the decision. They will provide input and the PL will interpret and make the call.

If they get any element of that call wrong or, possibly more importantly, they allow room for debate/challenge then I'd imagine they know full well that Bein will be all over that because they clearly DO NOT want KSA having an influence as that serves as a risk to Qatar on numerous levels.

Guest godzilla

Don't think I've seen or heard anyone stating that it will be turned down. A few saying why it should be, but none stating that they actually think it will be. Think it's pretty safe to say though that nothing has been 'signed off', and the longer it goes on suggests that there are issues still to resolved, otherwise it would have been sorted already.

Are all parties working through the issues amicably to resolve the piracy issue? Maybe, but the (alleged) sound bites of frustration coming from the Saudi sources are going against this.

Are the PL awaiting the publication of the final WTO report to use this report to justify knocking back the takeover? Maybe, but they have had the draft report (allegedly) for over 3 weeks, so why wait a further 5-6 weeks until the report is officially published to knock it back.

There have been positives and negatives coming out from day 1 and nobody is still in the know as to what is really happening. Nobody can be really confident that the takeover is going to happen and yet also nobody can be really confident that it isn't going to happen. Only their own opinion can be the basis to make a judgement currently.

The Premier League have not handled this very well, Masters should have came out and stated a firm no comment instead of his bungled waffle, which left more questions than answers. For a major organisation, it has not been handled very well.

Just going to have to let it play out people, as nobody really knows what the f*** is going on. What will be will be, but again it's the fans and the club being left in limbo.

I don't think he can.

He geniunely cannot be seen to have come to any preformed position on this nor be seen to having influenced the outcome before it's reached the Exec Committee for sign off.

So, as frustrating as it is, I do have some sympathy for him and the PL more widely.

I don't think it's a war they want right now but that's what they're stuck in now. A geo-political war. We all are.

Why not just say I can't discuss anything, he didn't though and that's the issue I have as it led to more questions

Guest chopey

The Premier League should have stated very early that they are not a political institution and cannot deny a bid on those grounds, they represent their members and unless the government steps in the takeover cannot be stopped.

The government constantly steps aside from such matters, the takeover of Northumbrian water for example, the Premier League should have made life easy for themselves and done the same.

Don't think I've seen or heard anyone stating that it will be turned down. A few saying why it should be, but none stating that they actually think it will be. Think it's pretty safe to say though that nothing has been 'signed off', and the longer it goes on suggests that there are issues still to resolved, otherwise it would have been sorted already.

Are all parties working through the issues amicably to resolve the piracy issue? Maybe, but the (alleged) sound bites of frustration coming from the Saudi sources are going against this.

Are the PL awaiting the publication of the final WTO report to use this report to justify knocking back the takeover? Maybe, but they have had the draft report (allegedly) for over 3 weeks, so why wait a further 5-6 weeks until the report is officially published to knock it back.

There have been positives and negatives coming out from day 1 and nobody is still in the know as to what is really happening. Nobody can be really confident that the takeover is going to happen and yet also nobody can be really confident that it isn't going to happen. Only their own opinion can be the basis to make a judgement currently.

The Premier League have not handled this very well, Masters should have came out and stated a firm no comment instead of his bungled waffle, which left more questions than answers. For a major organisation, it has not been handled very well.

Just going to have to let it play out people, as nobody really knows what the f*** is going on. What will be will be, but again it's the fans and the club being left in limbo.

I don't think he can.

He geniunely cannot be seen to have come to any preformed position on this nor be seen to having influenced the outcome before it's reached the Exec Committee for sign off.

So, as frustrating as it is, I do have some sympathy for him and the PL more widely.

I don't think it's a war they want right now but that's what they're stuck in now. A geo-political war. We all are.

Why not just say I can't discuss anything, he didn't though and that's the issue I have as it led to more questions

Sorry - yes - misread your post.

Guest godzilla

So is he saying there'll be a decision mid June or not?

Probably hoping the decision to knock it back will be then, when the official WTO report is released

Guest godzilla

I don't think he can.

Sorry - yes - misread your post.

:thup:

Inadvertently perhaps, but Masters has handled it badly. His whole "we'll look at these things when we get to them" re human rights abuses. His "no time frame for these things" unsettled a lot of people. He should have said flatly no comment. He's made himself & the PL look a bit of an arse, in my opinion.

Inadvertently perhaps, but Masters has handled it badly. His whole "we'll look at these things when we get to them" re human rights abuses. His "this no time frame for these things" unsettled a lot of people. He should have said flatly no comment. He's made himself & the PL look a bit of arse, in my opinion.

Yeah can't argue with that tbh.

Delaney can fuck off an'all.

I'm all for reasoned debate but he's just a cunt. Completely blind to the other side of the argument. Prick.

Richard Masters. Quote I Don't Think Timing Is An Issue Here. The premier League will not be rushed into making a decision about the takeover. Just ties in nicely with TheMag  Are Premier League Still Playing for time, On Newcastle takeover. They maybe haven't found any red flags. But they are desperate to do so. They are Still hoping one of the Buyer or Seller pulls out. Or the WTO report finds some damming evidence. When it publishes it's report on the 15th June. The takeover has just been a total witch hunt. by the media, the government, and Quatar who have an awfull lot to loose if this gets passed.

Hopefully more stuff like this Nationally will help push things along...

I think it's more because Mike Ashley is still our owner than we're stuck between owners. If the takeover didn't exist, I have no doubt he'd be doing the same thing.

Exactly right. It's Mike Ashley being Mike ashley.

Yes but the club wouldn’t of had the excuse to of stayed quiet so long about it.

Either way it’s an easy win for any new owner to get fans on board not that it should take much after the last 13yr.

The main reason for the delay is that Qatar is attempting to influence the PL's decision through the piracy issue. And imo, that's a big problem. Qatar have a lot more success and know-how in such soft power exercises. If anybody can stop MBS getting what he wants, it's them.

Also, if it somehow comes to a choice between the two, the PL is very likely to pick Qatar. They have established business relations. Qatar will be able to match any amount and they are much more open, transparent and trustworthy partners in almost every sense. I can't see SA even bidding for the TV rights. Winning the bid would require a multi-billion cultural reform in itself. TV programmes in SA are stuck in the dark ages - dimly lit studios, curtain decors, the heavy restrictions on visual appearance and etiquette. Not exactly advertisers heaven. They are light years behind the quality production of Al-Jazeera or BeIN..

Guest godzilla

The main reason for the delay is that Qatar is attempting to influence the PL's decision through the piracy issue. And imo, that's a big problem. Qatar have a lot more success and know-how in such soft power exercises. If anybody can stop MBS getting what he wants, it's them.

Also, if it somehow comes to a choice between the two, the PL is very likely to pick Qatar. They have established business relations. Qatar will be able to match any amount and they are much more open, transparent and trustworthy partners in almost every sense. I can't see SA even bidding for the TV rights. Winning the bid would require a multi-billion cultural reform in itself. TV programmes in SA are stuck in the dark ages - dimly lit studios, curtain decors, the heavy restrictions on visual appearance and etiquette. Not exactly advertisers heaven. They are light years behind the quality production of Al-Jazeera or BeIN..

Apart from the French courts. At the end of the day it all boils down to the legalities of whether PIF can be directly linked to the piracy issues and whether they are also counted as a separate legal entity. The Premier League cannot just knock it back because Qatar are not happy,

Apparently Jim White was told last night it was almost done for what it’s worth.

Loved transfer deadline day one year, when Jim White stopped an interview midway to take a fake phonecall on his mobile from one of his contacts - was so cringeworthy “I can confirm player X has now moved to Arsenal”

I don't really watch SSN but would actively go out of my way to avoid seeing it on deadline day.

The whole Harry Redknapp in his car bullshit, man, so cringe.

The Stoke fans with teeth like a crossword and the Norwich fans flopping a dildo around live on air was pretty funny though  :lol: