Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

Guest reefatoon
3 minutes ago, duo said:

There is no new news here- just a rehash of something said nearly a year ago.  Nothing has changed.

Plenty has changed. We are talking about it all again. Much better than the Bruce thread filling our time.

It's further insight into what happened in September. It isn't what's happening now of course, that's private and we won't hear about that for a while. But it's interesting to see the extent the government did get involved despite claiming no involvement, from both the PM and the PL 

Many of us said at the time that the government would want this deal to go through. The amount of investment would be too good to turn down. I think even now there is a high chance of slight pressure from number 10 to get this done one way or another. The benifits for Boris far far outweigh the negatives. 

1 minute ago, Scotty66 said:

Many of us said at the time that the government would want this deal to go through. The amount of investment would be too good to turn down. I think even now there is a high chance of slight pressure from number 10 to get this done one way or another. The benifits for Boris far far outweigh the negatives. 

Totally agree, the UK have been in bed with the Saudis for a long time now so it should never have been an issue really.

5 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Anyone think the big 6 could 'nod approvingly' at the takeover as long as the new owners support project big picture?

The big 6 aren’t the issue and people overestimate the impact of any resistance they put up to the takeover.

14 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

The big 6 aren’t the issue and people overestimate the impact of any resistance they put up to the takeover.

The Premier League are fighting the seperation because they want the opportunity to knock it back by having the Saudi state being responsible for piracy. They can't do that if PIF are deemed seperate from the state. My hopes are that the WTO report stated they were a seperate body and now the Oliver Dowden the minister of sport has been documented as saying this also. Let's just hope the legal team can push it through (by all accounts both are the within the top QCs in their field - if not top). Hopefully we are on the final straight either way.  

Edited by et tu brute

10 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

The Premier League are fighting the seperation because they want the opportunity to knock it back by having the Saudi state being responsible for piracy. They can't do that if PIF are deemed seperate from the state. My hopes are that the WTO report stated they were a seperate body and now the Oliver Dowden the minister of sport has been documented as saying this also. Let's just hope the legal team can push it through (by all accounts both are the within the top QCs in their field - if not top). Hopefully we are on the final straight either way.  

Although this is only legal opinion the Football Law report also indicated that PIF were a separate entity. So a number of sources are saying it’s a separate entity apart from the EPL.

https://www.footballlaw.co.uk/articles/newcastle-united-fc-takeover-and-the-premier-leagues-owners-and-directors-test

Scroll to the last paragraph for the summation of the lawyers opinion.

2 minutes ago, FloydianMag said:

Although this is only legal opinion the Football Law report also indicated that PIF were a separate entity. So a number of sources are saying it’s a separate entity apart from the EPL.

https://www.footballlaw.co.uk/articles/newcastle-united-fc-takeover-and-the-premier-leagues-owners-and-directors-test

Scroll to the last paragraph for the summation of the lawyers opinion.

Yeah I forgot about football law - good point.

2 hours ago, Scotty66 said:

BJ would get my next vote

Maybe I've just missed it but I'm surprised there hasn't been more made of the fact that MbS's yacht is currently anchored off Cornwall and Ashley helicopter has been busily flying between Land's End, the Isles of Scilly and somewhere in the sea between them for the past few days.

Edited by Jackie Broon

34 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Maybe I've just missed it but I'm surprised there hasn't been more made of the fact that MbS's yacht is currently anchored off Cornwall and Ashley helicopter has been busily flying between Land's End, the Isles of Scilly and somewhere in the sea between them for the past few days.

Is the G8 summit not due to be held down that way shortly ? It was mentioned on Wraiths podcast last night, but dismissed as being linked to this. Interesting about Ashley’s helicopter though that wasn’t mentioned.

1 hour ago, Jackie Broon said:

Tracking flights is so 2020.

45 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Tracking flights is so 2020.

Clearly. December 2020 Ashley's plane flies over Saudi Arabia at 40,000 feet: NO and NUFC twitter collectively lose their shit. April 2021 Ashley's helicopter actually lands on MbS's yacht: meh. 

Eh it’s somehow connected to the Saudi royal family and there was some talk last year of it being a problem to our takeover that they also had connections to sheff utd 

I don’t know the ins and outs of it for sure and it may well be a red herring.

just thought it was interesting and *may* be related