Positive Optimism - Saudi Takeover Edition

Jinky Jim

2 minutes ago, Ben said:

Good way for Masters to punish the Super 6

I’m not sure about that Masters has proved so spineless he’ll welcome them back without a bad word. I haven’t kept up today but was there not talk Scudamore was going to attend today’s meeting ? The same Scudamore that is part of Redball and that has just invested in Fenway Sports. Call me cynical but I wouldn’t trust Masters and co in dealings with the top 6 ever again.

https://www.sportspromedia.com/news/richard-scudamore-redball-acquisition-corp-premier-league-club

I noticed in his interviews on breakfast TV this morning Dowden was very clearly reiterating that the government still welcomes foreign investment in our clubs.

Fuck it, it's happening.

Guest reefatoon

I've been jumping back and forth over the last 48 hours whether this goes through.  On one hand, are the Premier League going to want another "big hitter" in there to potentially fuck them over down the line. I can't see the PL fancying the thought of more powerful teams. But on the other hand, passing it through could be a message of look, this is how big the Premier League is, We can attract so much investment and this is the place to be.

Ahh man. the repercussions of this breakaway. I just can't see if it will be a good or bad thing for our takeover.  I can't see it being announced anytime soon mind if it is. They are going to want all this shite to blow over first.

Surely they can't turn it down based on the saudis or PIF or even MBS being the owners now.

Any argument they make along those lines would just be laughed out of the room.

So that leaves what? the piracy argument? the human rights argument?

How many premier league kits/boots/merchandise are made in sweatshops by 8 yr olds? Human rights?? Dont make me laugh.

The only way they can now justify knocking back the Saudis, on any moral basis relating to a threat to the integrity of the game, is if they also immediately throw out the owners of the horrible six. I await with bated breath....

23 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

Surely they can't turn it down based on the saudis or PIF or even MBS being the owners now.

How many premier league kits/boots/merchandise are made in sweatshops by 8 yr olds? Human rights?? Dont make me laugh.

Yep

27 minutes ago, Lazarus said:

It gives them even more of an excuse to block it imo. Protection of the fans from these foreign investments.

This could just as easily work against us. The 'big 6' have just flexed their muscles and everyone shat themselves - there was lost of posturing about the leagues holding all the power but it didn't look like that. It was player and fan revolts that drove the clubs to withdraw, not any threats of legal action.

There's no doubt they're coming back with other powerplay - first they wanted a bigger share of the Sky money, then the European SL came along, next?

The PL will be shitting themselves and there's a chance it'll strengthen their resolve to not let our takeover through.

2 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

It gives them even more of an excuse to block it imo. Protection of the fans from these foreign investments.

The government have clearly stated this week they welcome foreign investment in our clubs. That shitty argument is not going to stand.

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

This could just as easily work against us. The 'big 6' have just flexed their muscles and everyone shat themselves - there was lost of posturing about the leagues holding all the power but it didn't look like that. It was player and fan revolts that drove the clubs to withdraw, not any threats of legal action.

There's no doubt they're coming back with other powerplay - first they wanted a bigger share of the Sky money, then the European SL came along, next?

The PL will be shitting themselves and there's a chance it'll strengthen their resolve to not let our takeover through.

This idea that it has been fan protests that have stopped this happening are laughable. It's the government's "legislative bomb" threat that smashed it. They anticipated everything, except that.

5 minutes ago, Wandy said:

This idea that it has been fan protests that have stopped this happening are laughable. It's the government's "legislative bomb" threat that smashed it. They anticipated everything, except that.

From what i heard there was very little they could actually do.

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

From what i heard there was very little they could actually do.

The government can quite literally do whatever it wants if it passes an act of Parliament, which would’ve had more support in the country than any bill I can remember 

3 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

The government can quite literally do whatever it wants if it passes an act of Parliament, which would’ve had more support in the country than any bill I can remember 

The government are suberservient to money. Rich people tell the government what to do; not the other way round.

Also, to the people worried that the PL will now decide "no more money bags owners", I don't think the PL can block this on a whim. They can't just use this latest escapade as a reason to not allow the Saudis in. They're bound to their ODT as it was before and will need sound legal footing to reject the takeover.