Mark Gillespie

joeyt

"He has had to take alot of shots" So does the post and crossbar, but isn't on no where near the wedge he will be on. As per with a few of them sound cheerleaders but not up to standard wish the youth setup was a few more years down the line to provide the padding to the squad. 

8 minutes ago, nufcjmc said:

"He has had to take alot of shots" So does the post and crossbar, but isn't on no where near the wedge he will be on. As per with a few of them sound cheerleaders but not up to standard wish the youth setup was a few more years down the line to provide the padding to the squad. 

Doesn't everyone have a rubbish old goalkeeper as third keeper? Man City have Carson, Liverpool have Adrian.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, healthyaddiction said:

Doesn't everyone have a rubbish old goalkeeper as third keeper? Man City have Carson, Liverpool have Adrian.

Agreed think my wider point is it's a shame our 3rd choices isn't an up and coming under 23 rather than someone in no one's plans to provide training alternatives to the other 2. Not sure I can celebrate the loyalty when it's been an amazing payday to be a training tool. 

Edited by nufcjmc

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, nufcjmc said:

Agreed think my wider point is it's a shame our 3rd choices isn't an up and coming under 23 rather than someone in no one's plans to provide training alternatives to the other 2. Not sure I can celebrate the loyalty when it's been an amazing payday to be a training tool. 

I’m not sure riding the bench as a #3 GK does much for a young player’s development. Nor does it much benefit the team (what wisdom are most 18-year olds going to impart on their more seasoned colleagues?)

Much rather than an experienced pro in the role, particularly one who’s a teacher of the game, and send the young guys out on loan to get game time.

Edited by Deuce

3 hours ago, nufcjmc said:

harsh

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, tgarve said:

harsh

Totally!

Also undermines what he does, yes training tool but if that tool improves the finishing of Gordon, Isak etc even 10% then it’s worth his wage. 

You don’t want Pope and potentially the back up keeper doing long stints after training as it could impact performance / energy levels. 

Same goes for a younger developing keeper who could be susceptible to injury with the additional workload. 

Finally 10K a week to a top premier league team, pocket change really

Edited by Monters

44 minutes ago, Monters said:

Totally!

Also undermines what he does, yes training tool but if that tool improves the finishing of Gordon, Isaac etc even 10% then it’s worth his wage. 

You don’t want Pope and potentially the back up keeper doing long stints after training as it could impact performance / energy levels. 

Same goes for a younger developing keeper who could be susceptible to injury with the additional workload. 

I wholeheartedly agree with your main point, but who the hell is Isaac? 

9 hours ago, Monters said:

Totally!

Also undermines what he does, yes training tool but if that tool improves the finishing of Gordon, Isaac etc even 10% then it’s worth his wage. 

I would gladly be that person too :D

Good on the lad, half a million quid a year to train with the first team and gets to watch every home and away game in some cracking seats. Living all our dreams. 

Imagine this will be his last year. Reckon by this time next Summer one of the keepers we have coming through should at least be ready to be third choice. 

How much is he really likely to be on? Would have thought anything above £5k/week would be a stretch - he wouldn't get that anywhere else.