Jackie Charlton RIP

He wasn't a great manager for us, but love the fact he quit as soon as he felt he wasn't appreciated. Very straightforward fella and a great personality.

Much preferred him to Bobby, he was a straight up, no bullshit character, will certainly be missed.

He wasn't a great manager for us, but love the fact he quit as soon as he felt he wasn't appreciated. Very straightforward fella and a great personality.

Much preferred him to Bobby, he was a straight up, no bullshit character, will certainly be missed.

Yeah he didn't set the place on fire when managing us but, in his defence, he had the unenviable task of being the first manager after Arthur Cox and the original Keegan Era. When Keegan left in 1984 their was a vaccum at the club and you could feel it. And to be fair to Big Jack, if I remember right, he did have us top of the league after the first 3 games.  :)

Guest Howaythetoon

A true legend of the game and an all-round genuinely good bloke who I kind of met a few years back outside of Gorman’s fish and chip shop near the Denton, I only got to say hello, but he was kind of mobbed and stayed around to talk to people. Larger than life, an underrated player and manager and what he did with Ireland was remarkable. USA ‘94 was my first real World Cup as a fan and with no England I supported them and even had a replica top, managed by one of our very own just made following IRIE in that tournament even better and I was gutted when they went out. Their win over Italy stands out as one of my fave early footy memories and kind of set the tone for what was for me a great tournament. Like Sir Bobby Robson, as a Geordie he considered managing NUFC his civic duty and although he didn’t exactly do a good job while he was our manager, it was an honour for him and his family. His brother Bobby is obviously Man Utd, but he has said many a time, NUFC will always be his and Jackie’s team as Geordies. A Geordie World Cup winner, what a legend Jackie is, RIP big man :(

Jack and Aldridge yelling at the 4th official at USA ‘94 is one of my all time favourite football memories  [emoji38]

Yeah remember mum shouting at the TV too [emoji38]

I've learned today that he lent Newcastle United club cars to the NUM during the miner's strike to get striking miners to picket lines. RIP Big Jackie.

Didn't know that. Amazing

Jack did ok as manager, his problem was that KK has retired and we went from an attacking free flowing 2nd division side to a 1st div side without our star man against much better teams. Jack decided that we needed to play direct and signed George Reilly and Tony Cunningham; we stayed up but it wasn’t pretty and that was with Beardsley, Waddle and an emerging Gazza. He couldn’t be arsed with the hassle and no doubt could see that the board weren’t going to give him any kind of decent budget and so he left.

I’m so pleased he got to manage us, always seemed a top man, proud of his roots, hope he made up with Bobby.

Eric Gates, was he worth it? :lol: (Not that I'm saying Charlton was any good, or any bad, as a manager.)

There was a £100k deal lined up, but I think the board haggled over a signing on fee, so Gates signed for the mackems instead.

Guest Howaythetoon

Ah his passing has hit me harder than it should and left me quite saddened and feeling quite emotional reading all the tributes and watching some old interviews or clips from his playing and managerial career.

How sad that not one, but two of our very own, both grew up dreaming of playing for their boyhood home town team Newcastle United and winning the World Cup for their country and they achieved that ultimate dream of theirs together side by side while playing for two other separate United’s.

Even his brother Bob who is Man Utd through and through, when talking about his playing days has said although Man Utd would go on to become his one and only club, his one one and only team as a Geordie would always be NUFC and all that he achieved and did, he never did quite get to live the dream fully.

In that respect and obviously jokingly he once said when asked if he could have ever imagined the success he went on to have when he was a little lad back in Ashington he responded by saying compared to his childhood dreams where he imagined scoring the winning goal to win England the World Cup in every tournament, the winning goal at Wembley to win NUFC the FA Cup and finished each season as top scorer and captain lifting the title for NUFC, he mostly failed at what he had hoped to achieve.

Unlike his brother Jackie, who was much more successful of the two considering he was the one who couldn’t kick a ball of the two, now imagine what he would have achieved he he could...

Why they and so many other Geordies never did get to live out their childhood dreams and play for their NUFC is down to many factors and sadly if so many of these players and their testimony are to be believed, if they wanted to make it as a pro and achieve their dreams, they’d have to do it elsewhere because NUFC had a bad name when it come to giving even their own youngsters a chance of breaking into the first-team and if they did, developing them into stars and paying anywhere near the going rate. The club thought any Geordie would never choose another club and would even play for free and many a player has said they would play for free to just pull in that shirt and take to the pitch in front of the Gallowgate and many a player’s own dad or family have tried to stop their son or sibling moving to another club or to choose the Toon over anyone else, even if others were offering mire money.

And in Jackie and Bobby, playing for their home town club would have meant as much to them and their mum and dad as winning the World Cup like how sir Bobby’s own dad would have been the most proudest of his son managing his club than England or European glory with Ipswich.

Alas any loss has been the club’s who for whatever reason let two future World Cup winners go to other clubs, who in Jackie as a manager, as a club, as players and most of all as fans, just couldn’t quite manage to do whatever it took to be the perfect fit to a man who wanted nothing more to be be the perfect fit back and I feel in big Jack if losing out on him as a player wasn’t bad enough, losing out on what he could have done for the club as a manager long-term just typifies the tragedy of our club and how time and time again, it loves to piss on all of our dreams and still expects us to stick around and follow our team ever more because we are Geordies, and there can only ever  be this one team of ours.

At least Jackie got to manage his team and however fruitless that spell was, it warms me greatly he did and even more as a fellow Geordie he got to live some of his own dreams from his childhood and ensured following generations got to dream of playing for Leeds, winning the World Cup, being Packie Bonner, playing for Ireland or making it out of Ashington if not into NUFC’s team.

His real legacy of course is anyone with a great great great Irish aunt’s uncle’s cousin’s brother-in-law gets to dream they too can play in the World Cup for Ireland, even if they speak Geordie.

RIP wor other Jackie