Jackie Charlton RIP

I was led to believe that Bobby supported Sunderland, as a kid? :???: I often wondered if they managed to heal their rift, in later years. Am led to believe that Jackie didn't agree with the way Bobby and his wife treat their mother. Sister-in-law apparently thought she was a cut above.

My Abiding memory of big Jack is when he was our manager, I think it was about 1984 season, and we went to QPR to play on their infamous plastic pitch....Chris Waddle scored a hat trick, we went in 4-0 at half time.....QPR scored 3 in the second half, before we added a 5th.....I remember having to leave a few minutes before the end for some reason or other.....by the time I turned on the sports report at 5.....it was 5-5.....Apparently Big Jack, noted for His defensive qualities, was not too pleased.....

I’m too young to have seen him play or even manage, however whenever I have seen him he always reminds me of my grandad. He looks like him, he speaks with the same Northumbrian accent as him (although my grandad was born in Gateshead, lived in Whitley Bay, and only lived in Northumberland during his later years.) and were even born around the same time as him.

I’m sure I heard family rumour that despite living quite a distance from each other, they often came into each other’s paths, same with Bobby and Milburn.

Jackie just reminds me so much of grandad, he’s a typical Northumbrian man of from his era, unapologetically tough and a gentleman at the same time.

My sympathies to his loved ones, may he rest in peace.

Must admit I had no idea Jack Charlton was so well liked and respected in these parts. Having only managed us for the one season I incorrectly assumed that he was - not 'disrespected' - but just not held in particularly high regard. Just reading up on what little they're is about the 1984-85 season, and it sounds like he had the job amidst a fairly pessimistic situation, and did okay.

That picture of him with the Newcie Brown and the squad is fantastic, and he looks very 'right' in that tracksuit.

Looking (only on Wiki) at what happened after Jack left, seems like McFaul did okay but it went south pretty rapidly. Guess there was an inevitability about that relegation in 88-89, not unlike our others in the Ashley era?

Yeah, football was generally dying at that time, you had Heysel, social unrest, we had a half built soulless ground and a complete lack of money or ambition. We had some good players coming through who we’d sell on and replace them 1 or 2 players that looked decent on paper but didn’t really deliver. The season we spent money on Beasant, Thorn and Hendrie, promised much but we were very poor and they didn’t come good.

Paul Goddard had miraculously kept us up one year with a late season scoring run, Darren Jackson did well for us and Paul Stephenson flattered and faded (I remember him putting in a “worldie” performance at Sheffield Wed in a game we didn’t win). We sold Beardsley, Waddle and Gazza over the period and we were a nothing club again. Thank the lord that SJH came along.

RIP

Nice fella by all accounts. Personally on a purely footballing side, think he was the worst manager I had ever seen at our club until up steps MA and employs a whole host of them who knock him into a hat.

Sad passing of one of the games greats and great characters.

Heard nothing but nice things about him from some lads who met/knew him from 84/85 strike as well.

Jackie was on a hiding to nothing when he took the NUFC job. Allowed his heart to rule his head. You could  never trust Seymour Jnr and the McKeags. The amount of cash that must have been filtered out of the club at that time 🤔😢

Some things never change.

Just seen he was apart of the “anti-nazi league”, an organisation with the aim of kicking the NF out of football. Also donated food and would lend his car to families during the miners strikes. Seems a good bloke.

Jack did ok as manager, his problem was that KK has retired and we went from an attacking free flowing 2nd division side to a 1st div side without our star man against much better teams. Jack decided that we needed to play direct and signed George Reilly and Tony Cunningham; we stayed up but it wasn’t pretty and that was with Beardsley, Waddle and an emerging Gazza. He couldn’t be arsed with the hassle and no doubt could see that the board weren’t going to give him any kind of decent budget and so he left.

I’m so pleased he got to manage us, always seemed a top man, proud of his roots, hope he made up with Bobby.

That is almost exactly what I remembered. Waddle started that season on fire, as unplayable a wide forward as Robben or Hazard or Salah since, but we ended up playing this mental 4-2-4 with Cunningham and Reilly in the middle and Beardsley and Waddle pretty much hugging the touchlines. Lots of fans didn't like it, Waddle didn't like it, and was sold at the end of the season via an effing tribunal that only valued him at 590,000. He was worth about three times that, as he later proved in French football. Waddle's a mackem and a bit of an idiot, but what a footballer in his day. Genuinely world class.

My memory was that there were faint shouts of "Charlton out!" in the following pre-season, and they made his mind up to walk.

One memory of that season that two of those inflatable broon ale bottles used to be set up in the center circle and in one game, one fell over and rolled down the pitch into the Leazes goal, signalling wild celebrations and shouts of "one-nil"! No-one had a phone to look at waiting for kickoff in those days. I remember going to a 1-1 home draw against Man U in the snow as well.

Despite my memories of toon games with Jackie Charlton in charge, he always seemed a good bloke, really genuine, and there are far too many great stories to suggest otherwise. RIP.

Thought this was great as well

They have a free tribute podcast up today also if anybody's interested

Aye, I was shaking driving into work yesterday listening to that.

Thought this was great as well

They have a free tribute podcast up today also if anybody's interested

Listened to the podcast this afternoon, really good stuff.

They use it to take the piss out of Eoin but I actually thought the interview he did in its entirety with him years ago was pretty good, Jack could have made any answer sound interesting though