Callum Wilson

Strawberry

It was inevitable the finger of blame would start pointing, but going into the season there was no evidence Isak would pick up a reoccurring thigh injury, while Gordon looked a more then useful third choice based on the Euros.

Wilson was just coming off an excellent spell the year prior, with far bigger priorities in the squad to address. It seemed a pretty adequate position to be in.

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

If he's out for the season he'll have missed 88 games out of a possible 179 since he signed (49.2%).

N.B. 50% exactly if we get to the FA Cup Final.

It's fate. 

Not sure I’ve ever heard of a footballer doing his pec, but I suppose if anyone could manage it it would be Wilson. I was arguing in the summer that he was one to keep, I was wrong.

6 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Exactly.

He seems finished in this league/in a team that plays the way we do. Massive shame, as he’s still a top finisher and a decent centre forward. Just never available. 

Isak is a worry. But I don’t think his career has been plagued by injuries thus far, in the same way Wilson’s has. 

If we got some rotation going and Isak wasn’t ran into the ground as often. Then that might help. If he keeps getting injured at the same rate. Then that would be a major concern. 

Hope it's more Sesko than Solanke.

18 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Going back again this is another example as to why we have to get clever/ruthless with shopping players around.

After a 17 goal season last year it would have seemed mental from the outside to flog him, but in hindsight we could have got our money back and funded a new striker 10 years younger. 

Now he's going to be 32 this summer and off the back of an injury hit season so we'll be lucky to get owt for him.

Exactly this. I've been a huge fan of Wilson but we can't allow sentiment to cloud our judgement. One of the reasons I think Eales came out with that unpopular quote about selling players when the time or price is right. There's usually only a certain window when you can capitalise on a player's form and at the right age, after that it's usually downhill. Miggy last season for example was at the height of his worth, every year we keep him here his value is going down.

21 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Going back again this is another example as to why we have to get clever/ruthless with shopping players around.

After a 17 goal season last year it would have seemed mental from the outside to flog him, but in hindsight we could have got our money back and funded a new striker 10 years younger. 

Now he's going to be 32 this summer and off the back of an injury hit season so we'll be lucky to get owt for him.

In fairness, there were people screaming at the idea of moving him on last summer.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

You need the second choice striker to be reliable and available for the bulk of the games. Wilson has proven time and time again he can't be relied on in that way. Everyone gets injuries, but he's far too consistent. 

Obviously availability is important but I know what we'll all hate more in the future -- an always fit second choice striker who doesn't score goals.

Also, that's not really fair to Wilson tbh. Because of injuries he was basically a first choice striker whenever he was fit (or fit enough). Here's his season:

• August and September - available
  • Late September plays 90m + 28m + 69m in a week - injures hamstring
  • After a month off (which included an int'l break) he plays in 6 games in 17 days. This includes 76 unexpected minutes against Dortmund because Isak went off injured. Comes off at halftime of the 6th game with another hamstring injury.
  • After month off (including another int'l break) he's forced to do the following upon return:
    • Dec. 10 - 27 min
    • Dec. 13 - 90 min
    • Dec. 16 - 90 min
    • Dec. 19 - 120 min
    • Dec. 23 - 90 min
    • Dec. 26 - 36 min - calf injury

Everyone is now pissed at him for being made of glass after a freak injury, but what we made a 31 year old with his injury history do in October and December was not fair.

Just now, Jonas said:

Fancy we'll go out the cup after a great chance is missed by the makeshift striker that day to boot.

Nah, we’ll beat Blackburn. Just depends who we get after that 

Just now, Krabbe2 said:

Both Isak and Wilson should get away if they want to continue their careers. In Newcastle they don't have time to recover 100% before Howe drives them to pieces.

Hope this is parody 

10 minutes ago, TRon said:

Exactly this. I've been a huge fan of Wilson but we can't allow sentiment to cloud our judgement. One of the reasons I think Eales came out with that unpopular quote about selling players when the time or price is right. There's usually only a certain window when you can capitalise on a player's form and at the right age, after that it's usually downhill. Miggy last season for example was at the height of his worth, every year we keep him here his value is going down.

All well and good, but we have a number of players in the squad who fit into that category. They can't all be replaced at once.

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Nah, we’ll beat Blackburn. Just depends who we get after that 

Wasn't thinking Blackburn.

More a QF circa Ruel Fox.

Edited by Jonas

4 minutes ago, Krabbe2 said:

Both Isak and Wilson should get away if they want to continue their careers. In Newcastle they don't have time to recover 100% before Howe drives them to pieces.

Who would you have played instead? Dead interested. 

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

All well and good, but we have a number of players in the squad who fit into that category. They can't all be replaced at once.

It's more about getting in the right mindset that players have a shelf life. As it stands, looks like we won't be able to fetch much of a fee for Wlson anyway as he would have needed to finish this season fit and firing to drum up interest. Right now no one would want to pay a significant fee for him, and in the summer he'll be entering the last year of his contract. Might just end up keeping him here and hoping he stays fit for enough of that final season.