Callum Wilson

Strawberry

1 hour ago, STM said:

If Spurs come in with 30m....? 

He's looked fantastic, especially when he links with Barnes. I just don't think you can put a price on him at the moment, who would you replace him with?

He's driven but he knows his role, he'll want to start every week and there will be periods he will do just that, but I think he's entirely realistic about where both he and the club are at. 

The biggest risk with Wilson's contract expiring would have been him going to a CL team. We're already in the CL(!) Unless he or his missus pushes for London, there is little reason for him to go. He's unlikely to be main man at a (n English) CL team due to his age and injury record. He looks too ambitious to just go to Saudi for payday just yet.

Based on the above, I reckon he'd sign another contract with us. The wily veteran striker it's great to have in your squad can be the one we have already. Another year and our FFP situation will improve as more money comes in and deadwood contracts expire.

51 minutes ago, Displayname said:

We are like the 8th favorite to win the whole thing, must get a really difficult group for us not to be likely to advance to the next stage.

Like Darren Eales says "ours will be THE group of death bacause, from pot4, no one will want us" 

3 minutes ago, buzza said:

He loves it here and would not go to another team now that we are in crescendo!

For 30 million in todays market, NO WAY!!!

30m is still a lot for a 31 year old with a year left on his contract. No way i want to risk the competition thing he got going on with Isak for that amount though.

11 minutes ago, Groundhog63 said:

Like Darren Eales says "ours will be THE group of death bacause, from pot4, no one will want us" 

Only 3/7 from pot 1 and 1/6 from pot 2 that are better than us on paper i'd say. And if we get Barca from pot 1, we cant get Real from pot 2. So chances of getting 2 better teams are 2/7x1/6 = 5%. Not that its going to be easy, but if I could get even odds on us advancing to the knockout I would take the bet in a heartbeat.

On 13/08/2023 at 13:37, Displayname said:

Only 3/7 from pot 1 and 1/6 from pot 2 that are better than us on paper i'd say. And if we get Barca from pot 1, we cant get Real from pot 2. So chances of getting 2 better teams are 2/7x1/6 = 5%. Not that its going to be easy, but if I could get even odds on us advancing to the knockout I would take the bet in a heartbeat.

We are better than Barcelona, Napoli, Bayern Munchen or PSG? Benfica are canny too but always lose players.

Pot 2 has decent teams too outside the obvious Real Madrid. Inter, Dortmund, Atletico, Leipzig or Porto aren't exactly pushovers. It won't be easy in any case but it's guaranteed to be fun.

3 minutes ago, Pata said:

We are better than Barcelona, Napoli, Bayern Munchen or PSG? Benfica are canny too but always lose players.

Pot 2 has decent teams too outside the obvious Real Madrid. Inter, Dortmund, Atletico, Leipzig or Porto aren't exactly pushovers. It won't be easy in any case but it's guaranteed to be fun.

Napoli arent better than us. Pretty even id say. So does the odds. 

Same with Dortmund, Atletico, Leipzig and Porto. Yes its not going to be easy, but two teams are advancing so we only have to get ahead of one of them.

1 minute ago, Displayname said:

Napoli arent better than us. Pretty even id say. So does the odds. 

Same with Dortmund, Atletico, Leipzig and Porto. Yes its not going to be easy, but two teams are advancing so we only have to get ahead of one of them.

Bookies always seem to give us leeway in the case we suddenly splash the cash when the transfer window is still open. Napoli absolutely cruised to a Serie A title and have kept most of their squad intact including Osimhen and Kvaradona, they would always be my favourites if we end up in the same group.

Seems a bit arrogant to write off all the clubs in pot 3 too. :lol: Milan, Lazio and RB Salzburg (without knowing anything about their recent transfers) could be tough.

1 minute ago, Pata said:

Bookies always seem to give us leeway in the case we suddenly splash the cash when the transfer window is still open. Napoli absolutely cruised to a Serie A title and have kept most of their squad intact including Osimhen and Kvaradona, they would always be my favourites if we end up in the same group.

Seems a bit arrogant to write off all the clubs in pot 3 too. :lol: Milan, Lazio and RB Salzburg (without knowing anything about their recent transfers) could be tough.

Think you are underestimating us.

12 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Think you are underestimating us.

I think we are fucking class but I also think so are many other teams who have more experience of playing in Europe and variance can play a huge role in a six match group stage.

Edited by Pata

9 minutes ago, Pata said:

I think we are fucking class but I also think so are many other teams who have more experience of playing in Europe and variance can play a huge role in a six match group stage.

Well one could also argue that Newcastle get much better experience playing high quality teams in the Premier League. 

1 minute ago, Displayname said:

Well one could also argue that Newcastle get much better experience playing high quality teams in the Premier League. 

Of course but there are still differences. Different refereeing, longer travels, playing twice a week all season affecting training routine etc.

I've been saying all summer that some people are overrating the level of opponents in Champions League but I'm not going as far as you are. There are still good teams in every pot.

19 minutes ago, Pata said:

Of course but there are still differences. Different refereeing, longer travels, playing twice a week all season affecting training routine etc.

I've been saying all summer that some people are overrating the level of opponents in Champions League but I'm not going as far as you are. There are still good teams in every pot.

Have i gone that far? :)

Just think its more likely than not that we advance to the knockout stage, not that it is in any way going to be easy.

Be great if we can keep him fit this season due to his game time management, because he is looking razor sharp. I wonder if he is benefiting from proper recovery sessions after games since he moved up here, instead of fucking off back to the south coast every 5 minutes

Part of me wonders if we'd have been better starting with Wilson to do the battling, and then bringing Isak on to exploit the gaps as the game wore on. Hindsight is wonderful, of course.

5 minutes ago, 80 said:

Part of me wonders if we'd have been better starting with Wilson to do the battling, and then bringing Isak on to exploit the gaps as the game wore on. Hindsight is wonderful, of course.

Think it’s probably the only game or one of two in the season where Isak doesn’t take the piss out of the other team with his dribbling. He still had some moments in the first half but they shut him down effectively. not convinced Wilson would have been more effective but either way I don’t think it would have changed the result 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Think it’s probably the only game or one of two in the season where Isak doesn’t take the piss out of the other team with his dribbling. He still had some moments in the first half but they shut him down effectively. not convinced Wilson would have been more effective but either way I don’t think it would have changed the result 

Yes, I don't think Wilson would've been more effective, but I'm thinking it could've been his body absorbing Man City's energy rather than Isak's. Can't help but feel Isak having that 2 on 1 opportunity in the second half would've been a different story.