Callum Wilson

Strawberry

Being brutal, this window is probably our last chance to get good money for him and the pragmatic FFP choice would've been to try and move him on (if there was an interested party) over someone like ASM. Great season, minimal injury issues, some time left on the contract, mature player but not 'old' etc. Not all of those things will be true next summer.

Toney would be the ideal replacement.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

We are quick to point out that Almiron had a bright month which inflated his figures but nearly 45% of Wilson’s league goals last season were scored in April. 

If we could get £30 million for him then I would sell him and invest in someone who will be the future, he is going to need replacing in the next couple of years anyway as he is 32 in February.

26 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Being brutal, this window is probably our last chance to get good money for him and the pragmatic FFP choice would've been to try and move him on (if there was an interested party) over someone like ASM. Great season, minimal injury issues, some time left on the contract, mature player but not 'old' etc. Not all of those things will be true next summer.

Toney would be the ideal replacement.

:ructions:

I'm far from Wilson's biggest fan but he's absolutely indispensable to us right now. Isak hasn't proven he can be fit for the majority of the season and after Wilson we have nothing in terms of established strikers. 

He scores goals at a fantastic rate, he's an elite poacher. 

On 24/07/2023 at 23:42, RobsonsWonderland said:

Seems to be the forgotten man on the forum but noticed he is closing in on Newcastle's 2nd top Premiership goal scorer (5 to beat the mighty Shola!).

It amazing that only Shearer has got over 50? 

Would be great to see him do it this year as have a feeling it will be his last year here.

Screenshot_20230724-233116.png

Ferdinand - 2 seasons with us

Cole - 1.5 seasons in the PL with us

Ameobi - FOURTEEN YEARS

OK, 1 was in the Championship, and he didn't start every match, but still. That's an average of 3.3 goals per season. From, on average, 24.5 games. :lol: 

By god those years were fucking grim.

26 minutes ago, HawK said:

I'm far from Wilson's biggest fan but he's absolutely indispensable to us right now. Isak hasn't proven he can be fit for the majority of the season and after Wilson we have nothing in terms of established strikers. 

He scores goals at a fantastic rate, he's an elite poacher. 

What don't you like about him? Your far fromm being his biggest fan! What are the main issues?

39 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

With the extra games and a fit Isak to rotate with, he’s going to score 20 in all competitions IMO. Selling is a nonsense idea.

From a pure footballing perspective, it sounds like a nonsense idea, but from an FFP-enforced view (which we appear to strictly be adhering to) it unfortunately isn't, is it? As we've seen with ASM this window, we will have to sell someone else in the next year who holds some decent value to continue to make room for future investment, unless we start going crazy with commercial deals for official pillow partners or make the CL again. Even then, I imagine we'll still have to make some sales.

I love Wilson as well and would be way more gutted to see him go than I was Maxi, but he's one of the other saleable assets we have that could fetch money while having pretty big drawbacks around his long-term future (age, injuries).

Feel like if we were Pep/City in this scenario, they'd be looking to make the move now, tbh.

Edited by Gallowgate Toon

2 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

From a pure footballing perspective, it sounds like a nonsense idea, but from an FFP-enforced view which we appear to strictly be adhering to it unfortunately isn't, is it? As we've seen with ASM this window, we will have to sell someone else in the next year who holds some decent value to continue to make room for future investment, unless we start going crazy with commercial deals for official pillow partners(?) or make the CL again. Even then, I imagine we'll still have to make some sales.

I love Wilson as well and would be way more gutted to see him go than I was Maxi, but he's one of the other saleable assets we have that could fetch money while having pretty big drawbacks around his long-term future (age, injuries).

Feel like if we were Pep/City in this scenario, they'd be looking to make the move now, tbh.

We’ve got plenty of wingers.  We don’t have plenty of PL-capable centre forwards.  His age doesn’t matter - getting rid of Wilson now would create an unnecessary headache. 

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

We’ve got plenty of wingers.  We don’t have plenty of PL-capable centre forwards.  His age doesn’t matter - getting rid of Wilson now would create an unnecessary headache. 

Yup, I'd agree that this summer would be a headache - I think he's a fantastic squad striker to have in our position. His age does matter though when it comes to our position with FFP, doesn't it? As we've seen this summer, we will likely need to sell to buy again at some point, but we presumably don't want to be selling Isak or Bruno as we want to meet competitive aims long-term. That then begs the question about who is the next eligible sale to help us progress and when is best to make our move to get as much out of that move as possible.

If we're as FFP-obsessed as we appear to be, I'd be pretty shocked if the club aren't already considering when we'd be willing to cash in on a very good player who is starting to get older and has had significant injury issues so often in his career, tbh.

1 hour ago, Matt1892 said:

We are quick to point out that Almiron had a bright month which inflated his figures but nearly 45% of Wilson’s league goals last season were scored in April. 

If we could get £30 million for him then I would sell him and invest in someone who will be the future, he is going to need replacing in the next couple of years anyway as he is 32 in February.

No one's going to give us £30m for a 31 year old striker who has a poor history with injuries. Realistically we might get £20m, and that's being optimistic. We are better off keeping him because he's still going to get goals at the top level for a couple more years and it would cost a bomb to replace him.

There is a huge shortage of strikers right now, we have one who gives us a 1 in 2 return. Why raise a problem that doesn't need raising? Wilson could easily play another 2-3 years

Edited by Menace

Based on what we paid for Chris Wood, Callum Wilson would theoretically be worth a lot to a team facing relegation and needing goals, cough, cough Everton.

It looks like Wood might have been a British record at the time for an over 30 player, but has since been eclipsed by Casemiro and probably now some Saudi ones, if anyone wants to look them up.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/ranked-the-10-most-expensive-transfers-for-players-over-30-ever

I'd flog him, makes commercial sense, no time for sentiment, Gordon could do a bit of filling in and maybe one or two others bearing in mind when he was injured during the season, there's always another one that comes along.

4 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

I'd flog him, makes commercial sense, no time for sentiment, Gordon could do a bit of filling in and maybe one or two others bearing in mind when he was injured during the season, there's always another one that comes along.

Good god this forum needs a signing.