Callum Wilson

Strawberry

I think it’s partly down to where we find ourselves currently, established CL clubs will make contact and try their luck to turn a players head mid season. Had we been in the CL still and closer to the top of the table I’m not sure we’d be seeing these links. The upside is we can use this season as a mini rebuild as we arnt realistically chasing top 4 anymore and Europe is not essential to the project yet anyway. 

Trippier and Wilson are both big players for us in their own right, but they are aging and at the end of the day any and every player is an expendable asset. The project is long term and patience is a must.

Edited by Nine

3 minutes ago, Nine said:

I think it’s partly down to where we find ourselves currently, established CL clubs will make contact and try their luck to turn a players head mid season. Had we been in the CL still and closer to the top of the table I’m not sure we’d be seeing these links. The upside is we can use this season as a mini rebuild as we arnt realistically chasing top 4 anymore and Europe is not essential to the project yet anyway. 

Trippier and Wilson are both big players for us in their own right, but they are aging and at the end of the day anyone is expendable. The project is long term and patience is a must.

Agree with everything other than Europe, which is still very important irrespective of which competition - for coefficients, commercials, match day income, attracting players etc

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Agree with everything other than Europe, which is still very important irrespective of which competition - for coefficients, commercials, match day income, attracting players etc

It absolutely is important in the mid/long term, but it is not essential in the short imo. We had no trouble attracting Trippier, Bruno, Botman and Isak with no European football on offer. The trouble is keeping these players when you’ve had a taste of Europe with them and then won’t again for at least a season, make no mistake all these guys want to play for a CL club.

Financially of course it is a nice bonus to have.

Edited by Nine

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

How much would be a good price for him ? 10 million ? I have no issue letting him go if we bring in a replacement.

20m at least imo 

1 minute ago, Nine said:

It absolutely is important in the mid/long term, but it is not essential in the short imo. We had no trouble attracting Trippier, Bruno, Botman and Isak with no European football on offer.

Financially of course it is a nice bonus to have.

The poor coefficients meant that our CL take wasn’t as much as many would have thought.  Villa will likely make as much as us if they win the Conference League - and they get a trophy out of it too. 

14 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

We’re unlikely to get that given his injury record and age

I’d rather see the lad stay, but if he’s off I’d bet the fee will be in the £10-15m range

Guaranteed goalscorer though (if he can stay fit). 

3 minutes ago, sempuki said:

Guaranteed goalscorer though (if he can stay fit). 

100%.  Best traditional no.9 other than Shearer we’ve had for me (I know others will disagree).  Love the man when fit.

If he didn’t have the fitness issues, he’s a £40m player even at his age