Callum Wilson

Strawberry

3 minutes ago, James said:

he isn’t a good back up as the back up must be fit all season.

we either have to replace or sign a 3rd striker

That's the killer point. But it will be damned hard to get a fitter version of Wilson.

1 hour ago, 54 said:

2 more needed to become our second highest Premier League goalscorer.

Just had a look at that list...and it's amazing and kind of depressing at the same time. Shearer being 100 clear of anyone else shows how great he was for us, but also shows we don't tend to keep goalscorers around for too long. If Isak stays and has another season like this he'll be 2nd or 3rd, and it doesn't feel like he's been here 2 minutes.

Bit like Ferdinand...it felt like he was here ages but was only 2 seasons.

Guess it's true. Time does speed up when you get older

5 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Just had a look at that list...and it's amazing and kind of depressing at the same time. Shearer being 100 clear of anyone else shows how great he was for us, but also shows we don't tend to keep goalscorers around for too long. If Isak stays and has another season like this he'll be 2nd or 3rd, and it doesn't feel like he's been here 2 minutes.

Bit like Ferdinand...it felt like he was here ages but was only 2 seasons.

Guess it's true. Time does speed up when you get older

I think Isak is now in our top 10 tbh.

21 minutes ago, James said:

He shouldn’t be a backup he should be a finisher. Playing the last 20 mins of every game - bit like Solskjaer or Tor Andre Flo in his Chelsea days.

A backup to Isak is needed, but I don’t think that’s the way to think of Wilson anymore.

Now there’s 5 subs a game you’ve got to have a bench that you can use

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

He doesn’t get much credit for basically firing us over the line to get to the CL last season. 

I thought he got plenty of credit, him and Isak were a big reason we got into the CL. He got a contract extension on the back of it.

2 hours ago, gjohnson said:

Also didn't realise how far up Solano was on it. Wish we could find the regen of him

I want a ben arfa regen. Few years there where he was pretty much the only reason I’d wake up early to watch the matches. But maybe a regen of him that cares more about football or is more professional. Once in a while I go back and watch his highlights for us. Magical talent. Can’t say I’ve ever seen a better dribbler. 

I’d like a developmental striker. Younger player who can maybe play on the right as well. Come on for a cameo in games where we are up or play in cup matches. We also have both Gordon and Barnes who can play striker if needed. I’d be fine selling Wilson. His transfer value will probably be over 20m and that’s worth more to us at the moment than an aging and often injured player. That being said he’s probably the best backup striker in the whole PL asides from Alvarez who isn’t really a backup these days. 

Wilson is still so good, only behind Nunez, KDB, Haaland and Salah in non-penalty xG+xA per 90 on his small sample size this season. Third last season behind Haaland and Nunez.

It will be a tough decision, taking the £10-15m due to his fitness and age or keeping him behind Isak limiting his minutes and maybe sign a developmental striker/forward as third choice. Think he would still break down but replacing him isn't easy. Someone would absolutely buy him for fee that low as he guarantees goals whenever fit.

28 minutes ago, danny said:

On MOTD they were going on about him breaking a record, but didnt say what it was anyideas?

Think they were talking about him equalling Beardsley as our 2nd highest goalscorer in the PL era. Probably a few assists behind Pedro mind.

Edited by Checko
spelling

12 hours ago, Sufi said:

I’d like a developmental striker. Younger player who can maybe play on the right as well. Come on for a cameo in games where we are up or play in cup matches. We also have both Gordon and Barnes who can play striker if needed. I’d be fine selling Wilson. His transfer value will probably be over 20m and that’s worth more to us at the moment than an aging and often injured player. That being said he’s probably the best backup striker in the whole PL asides from Alvarez who isn’t really a backup these days. 

You've just described Minteh there.

16 hours ago, James said:

Maybe I am reading too much into Eddie's comments on him but I have a feeling he'll not be sold.  And tbf we need depth so I guess it makes more sense to add a 3rd striker.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking he's going to stay fit for any period.

The smart decision is to sell him. If he scores a few towards the end of the season his value should be decent.

Even if Howe would like to keep him, the decision will be taken out of Howes hands. You can't turn down an offer for an injury prone 30+ year old..... provided the fee is half decent.

Wilson should be the 3rd Striker, would be great option if he's happy to play that role and with his minutes managed so he rarely starts and plays 20-30 minutes his body is much more likely to not breakdown. Wouldn't even consider selling him for 15-20m if he's happy to be a squad player in this role, he guarantees goals. 

We won't get £15+ mill for him at his age and injury record in the age of FFP. If we do we should snap their hands off as we need to start selling players at the right time.

Hopefully he bangs a few in between now and the end of the season to get a solid cash offer. Love him but it's time for him to go IMO.

15 mill is cloud cuckoo land imo. On top of all the other reasons why you wouldn't spend real money on him, he's only got a year left on his contract as of this summer. If he's going, then the best we can hope for is a loan and a fond farewell at the end of next season. I think we'll end up just keeping him tbh.