Football governance

Nobody

34 minutes ago, Nobody said:

I don't think 4th should get CL neither tbh. Top 3 I can go with, as we've been rewarding top 3 with medals in sports for ages.

As for the Football league argument, I don't think it's quite the same to get promoted as it is to get to play in the most prestigious tournament on the continent. Plus league 2 consist of more teams, so it's not like the team finishing in the bottom two thirds of the league can get promoted. 

Devil's advocate but you can easily make that case for the Championship play off winners making it to the Premier League I think. Certainly in terms of the financial rewards and playing in the most watched (or prestigious if you choose to look at it that way) league in the world.

18 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

It amazes me how wound up people get that the competition is called the Champions League but includes teams that weren't champions :lol:

Not least because it also isn't a league. :lol:

It’s a tricky balance really because there is only so much fun we’d have if we whittled out the ‘top’ teams and introduced more minnows.

How many times could we watch Barca put 6 past Sligo Rovers before it gets a bit tiresome? 

Teams would also be more likely to rest players and it’d become a bit of a farce.

Every now and again you get a shock result like Sheriff Tiraspol, but in reality they are so few and far between.

Not really sure what the best format would be tbh.

It seems a bit daft having 5 English teams in the competition and with Europa and now the Conference League, half of the league would qualify for Europe each season.

6 hours ago, Unbelievable said:

I’m just amazed that Holland have the second highest coefficient this year. Fat chance of that ever happening again :lol:

What does it mean - highest coefficient? :blush:

16 minutes ago, duo said:

What does it mean - highest coefficient? :blush:

It’s a type of weighted statistical analysis to determine which country’s teams have performed best in a season in terms of European competition.  They do it for world rankings too.  So each team gets points for wins, getting to qf, sf, final, winning the trophy etc. 

• 2 weeks later...

If this was us carrying these losses under PIF you can guarantee we wouldn’t be working with the PL, they would have thrown the book at us with points deduction.

‘Everton say that Covid-19 losses over the past two seasons amount to £170m, which can be deducted from their total. 

But that figure has caused surprise among some Premier League teams because it dwarfs clubs of a similar size. 

Earlier this week, Newcastle posted Covid-19 losses of £40m over the past two seasons, while Aston Villa said theirs amounted to £56m. 

Everton, who have been involved in a relegation battle with Leeds and Burnley, secured their Premier League status on Thursday with a 3-2 win over Crystal Palace. 

But they are confident they are compliant with Premier League rules and have been "working formally" with the league. 

Burnley and Leeds want an independent commission to assess Everton's finances urgently’

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61529371

On 26/04/2022 at 09:28, number37 said:

That's quite a sobering thought about parachute payments if you've effectively got 8% of Premier League revenue circulating among a dozen or so of the 72 Football League clubs. No wonder things are skewed, then you throw in owners the likes of Bury, Macclesfield, Oldham have to endure and what a fine mess we've got. 

AND IT'S LIVE... 

I wonder if the idea is to attract more money into the game. you can either spend a fortune, buying a, somewhat, established club, or spend a fortune establishing one. But you're not getting in the game if you haven't got the readies.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there anything more infuriating and disrespectful than the term 'Big 6'. Even see things with the term 'the other 14' getting banded about all the time. Shameless cunts now wanting to decide who they can play in the build up to the world cup. Hopefully they're told to fuck off but I have my doubts 

7 minutes ago, Pokerprince2004 said:

Is there anything more infuriating and disrespectful than the term 'Big 6'. Even see things with the term 'the other 14' getting banded about all the time. Shameless cunts now wanting to decide who they can play in the build up to the world cup. Hopefully they're told to fuck off but I have my doubts 

The other 14 is an anti top 6 thing tbf, at least on Reddit anyway.

2 minutes ago, Ben said:

What would be the reason for this ? 

Only reason I can think of is trying to avoid a Sterling/Gomez type situation going into the WC. 

Pathetic though.

9 minutes ago, SteV said:

Only reason I can think of is trying to avoid a Sterling/Gomez type situation going into the WC. 

Pathetic though.

More likely to have a Dyer/El Khalej situation then

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

Arsenal surely? With their two 8th place finishes.

Arsenal have the history and have only recently dropped out the Champions League places, Spurs we're no-bodies until very recently. 

Guest HTT II
1 hour ago, McCormick said:

Spurs supposedly being in the ‘big 6’ is a fucking joke.

Finished top 4…