Football governance

Nobody

1 hour ago, 54 said:

Arsenal have the history and have only recently dropped out the Champions League places, Spurs we're no-bodies until very recently. 

Top 6 isn't CL places though, Spurs have dropped out of top 6 once in the time it's been referred to as that, Arsenal have twice.

Get what you're saying though. Either way it's a stupid arbitrary line that's only there to protect those 6 teams regardless of where they finish.

Edited by Kid Icarus

Part and parcel of the cartel mentality overseeing the transition to the ESL. Main reason they're pulling up the drawbridge particularly against us. As McCormick, rightly, mentions even Leicester get the big heave-ho.

Yanks paying £4.5B for Chelsea means one thing and one thing only. They think it's still a goer. Daft thing is any fans of these "Big 6" teams and their ESL scab partners who think it will all be fine and dandy up there in the (US driven) big league will be in for a shock. Absolutely no way will the Yanks put up with 2 team cities etc etc. 

Be franchises moved as soon as they can. 1 Manchester Team, 1 London, Madrid. Be hilarious when Spurs and Arsenal are moved to Arizona and Bangkok

14 hours ago, HTT II said:

Spurs right now are a top 4 club IMO.

Aye. Only finished outside the top 6 once in the last 13 seasons and finished top 4 in over half of them.

Add in a world class stadium, they’re commercially spot on, have some world class players. They’ve earned the tag.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

• 3 weeks later...

The usual excellent breakdown from Swiss Ramble - this time of the new FFP regs (or whatever they’re called now). Would be really interested to see him analyze what that would mean for you guys going forward (over the next 3/4 years, say).

Edit: Sorry, didn’t see all the stuff in the other thread. As you were.

Edited by leffe186

• 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Gary Neville’s a fucking tit like, I’d love to see what his take would be if Al Maktoum took his lot over. He wouldn’t say a fucking word, changes his opinion like the fucking wind.

Aye he’s a gobshite, I agree with some of his views and thoughts, but like you say he flip flops from one opinion to another and I honestly believe the likes of him are more toxic to Man Utd than their owners as it’s relentless hyperbole or criticism, one week they are on the up, the next it’s a crisis. I’m so glad we don’t have many ex players of ours pouring over every aspect of our cub right now like he and Keane and others do with them.

2 hours ago, Likelylad said:

Agree with the above. I watched that new fan overlap. Won 4 games and top 4 its all top on etc. 

His reaction to them losing those first two games was actually laughable. 

The whole thing with Redknapp was ridiculous.

They stood on Brentford's pitch, talking about Man U for 9 minutes. After Brentford had just hammered them. Perfect advert for the modern game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

So of the 'Super League 12' five aren't even in the last 16 of the Champions League. Would be good if Spurs & Milan ballsed up on the last day, too.

Of course not. The whole project was purely financial to increase revenue. 

These “big clubs” are big in the context of finances they care nothing for the sporting side. 

Going back to the super league, If they did break away then the sport would be pretty dead on the most elite level. I don’t follow any American sports other than NBA but it’s great how there’s a draft system and the natural order changes over time. This would be a totally closed shop which would be terrible for so many different reasons. It would not only reduce the quality in the respective national leagues but it would also make the quality in the super league itself absolutely shit (knowing that there’s no relegations and the same teams are playing the same teams so regularly)

28 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Going back to the super league, If they did break away then the sport would be pretty dead on the most elite level. I don’t follow any American sports other than NBA but it’s great how there’s a draft system and the natural order changes over time. This would be a totally closed shop which would be terrible for so many different reasons. It would not only reduce the quality in the respective national leagues but it would also make the quality in the super league itself absolutely shit (knowing that there’s no relegations and the same teams are playing the same teams so regularly)

I think it would be successful for them tbh. After all of you calculate the worldwide support for the clubs breaking off I bet it equates to over 75%. 

So in essence the move is designed to cut off those who are benefiting from being in the same company as those clubs. They are aware football fans are loyal and they also know despite a massive uproar the fans would forgive and forget. 

1 hour ago, gbandit said:

There was never a plan to break away , it was a super league to run alongside the premier league 

like the champions league , hence why UEFA were fuming 

A statement on Sunday indicated that six Premier League clubs will be joined in the League by AC Milan, Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Inter Milan, Juventus, and Real Madrid. Three more clubs could join for the inaugural season which will commence "as soon as practicable".

The new format has been put forward as a rival to the UEFA Champions League, not as a replacement to domestic leagues, but there are fears it could have wider ramifications.

3 minutes ago, JonBez comesock said:

There was never a plan to break away , it was a super league to run alongside the premier league 

like the champions league , hence why UEFA were fuming 

Didn’t the national leagues say that they’d bar teams from playing if they joined the super league?

Yes , but the plan wasn’t to break away 

it was to run alongside 

the national leagues were also unhappy as they thought it would dilute the domestic leagues (as they would rest players and play fringe players)…..which would of inevitably happened long term 

it would also mean there was no joy or reward in winning the premier league as you couldn’t get into the super league based on winning national league (unless invited)?

Either way it was a poor idea , and something I hope doesn’t happen 

Although it wouldn’t be a terrible idea if you could qualify for it and not everyone was guaranteed a place but we have that anyway with the new champions league format coming soon