Football governance

Nobody

Just now, triggs said:

They're thinking of the worldwide market. What would the average American want to watch, Man City vs Burnley or Man City vs Real Madrid?

Yeah, that’s what I was asking really. Are there enough interested fans and will they pay enough for the subscriptions?

Guess there must be.

TBH there is a certain enjoyment to American sports with no promotion and relegation. You can just enjoy the game and it doesn’t really matter that much if you have a bad season. Obviously that removes a lot of the drama as well. 

3 minutes ago, triggs said:

They're thinking of the worldwide market. What would the average American want to watch, Man City vs Burnley or Man City vs Real Madrid?

I promise you they're not thinking about us. :lol: We get 'soccer' demoted to ESPN3 while World Youth Aardvark Ping Pong finals get top billing on regular ESPN. The average american would rather watch Loki's Kitchen of Tuna Horrors than football.

Edited by thomas

1 minute ago, thomas said:

I promise you they're not thinking about us. :lol: We get 'soccer' demoted to ESPN3 while World Youth Aardvark Ping Pong finals get top billing on regular ESPN. The average american would rather watch Loki's Kitchen of Tuna Horrors than football.

Yeah should have put average American fan rather than average American. Could have picked any country really

3 minutes ago, thomas said:

I'd watch as well tbf.

I guess stuff like the IPL in cricket works because there’s not the history or money in the rest of the domestic game?

Given we already have incredibly rich leagues and European cups, it’s hard to picture how clubs and players would be better off.

I could live with more regular games between clubs from different countries though, if it didn’t replace the domestic leagues. 

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Yeah, that’s what I was asking really. Are there enough interested fans and will they pay enough for the subscriptions?

Guess there must be.

TBH there is a certain enjoyment to American sports with no promotion and relegation. You can just enjoy the game and it doesn’t really matter that much if you have a bad season. Obviously that removes a lot of the drama as well. 

Aye but American Sports get away with it by having a level playing field. They have wage caps, worse off teams get 1st draft picks. They also largely are sports that are not followed elsewhere. Aside from perhaps Ice Hockey which has huge following in Russia, there isn’t really any sporting leagues in other countries of which have a following for American Sports. Me and you are going to watch NUFC no matter if there is a Super League. An Ajax fan is always going to watch Ajax, someone watching Hebburn is still going to go and watch Hebburn on Wednesday night instead of staying in and watching the Super League, much like they do with the Champions League now.

Fans from “The Big 6” need to come out strongly against this. Sadly, it seems there seems a fair bit of support on RAWK. I hope that’s from their American fans who don’t know what relegation and promotion means and feels like. 

I’ll not watch never mind pay to watch a competition my team is deemed “big” enough to be part of. I’m fed up with the EPL but that’s largely down to our owner, at we do have in theory a chance to come compete.

1 minute ago, Tsunami said:

Fans from “The Big 6” need to come out strongly against this. Sadly, it seems there seems a fair bit of support on RAWK. I hope that’s from their American fans who don’t know what relegation and promotion means and feels like. 

I’ll not watch never mind pay to watch a competition my team is deemed “big” enough to be part of. I’m fed up with the EPL but that’s largely down to our owner, at we do have in theory a chance to come compete.

They did a few months ago when they came out with project steal football. The case has been shown that they ultimately don’t care about the fans because they are on about doing the same with a different mask.

15 minutes ago, thomas said:

If they were smart they'd force it to get bundled in with some "football/sport package" you won't opt out of and it'd be another £5/mo upcharge. Then they'd relentlessly murder you with ads for it and get enough people watching to trumpet it as a success.

But are Sky involved in it?

if they aren’t its in direct competition

3 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

But are Sky involved in it?

if they aren’t its in direct competition

They would just have their own streaming platform. £999 a year, £799 if you are season ticket holder of one of the clubs, one off games like £49, or a weekend/midweek pass for £99.

Edited by Stifler

UEFA should come out and just ban all the clubs involved from Champions league / Europa league for next season. A Premier league points reduction this year would be hilarious but can't see it happening. Hopefully they get the book thrown at them for such a stupid fucking idea. 

The source of the problem is that the CL has too many teams and the group stages are mostly a foregone conclusion. It would be better if the best teams played each other more often, I think all fans would agree. It would also be better if we didn’t have a bunch of one-sided matches between Real/Barca/PSG and some Eastern European team. The logical solution is to reduce teams, particularly Eastern European teams that are never competitive. And then fill the gap with more matches between the best teams. UEFA need to accept this compromise. Why risk the entire system just to include teams from Romania and Ukraine? 

2 minutes ago, Giselle said:

The source of the problem is that the CL has too many teams and the group stages are mostly a foregone conclusion. It would be better if the best teams played each other more often, I think all fans would agree. It would also be better if we didn’t have a bunch of one-sided matches between Real/Barca/PSG and some Eastern European team. The logical solution is to reduce teams, particularly Eastern European teams that are never competitive. And then fill the gap with more matches between the best teams. UEFA need to accept this compromise. Why risk the entire system just to include teams from Romania and Ukraine? 

Incidentally they are doing that next year for the Europa League. Just last week they were close to a similar styled Champions League agreement with the same clubs, but have now been hit with them wanting to do it on their own. It’s not like UEFA and the domestic leagues haven’t talked or discussed things with the big clubs to make them happier.

Edited by Stifler

3 minutes ago, Giselle said:

Because why the fuck shouldn't they be allowed to compete? 

5 minutes ago, Giselle said:

Because seeing teams like Slavia Prague and Dinamo Zagreb in the EL quarter finals against the "established" sides is what makes european football entertaining.

Edited by Kaizero

Just now, Nobody said:

Because the average fan doesn’t tune in to these matches. These clubs are gifted money that they’re not earning. It’s like if the NBA decided to include European teams who regularly get crushed. What’s the point? People tune in when things get competitive. Smaller clubs that don’t have any money are not competitive. It’s reality. Why deny it? 

Reduce the teams so matches are more competitive. More people will watch because the product is better. 

4 minutes ago, Nobody said:

Exactly.  Considering they're, you know, the actual fucking champions of their country.

3 minutes ago, Kaizero said:

Because seeing teams like Slavia Prague and Dinamo Zagreb in the EL quarter finals against the "established" sides is what makes european football entertaining.

For who? Ratings are always highest when it’s the biggest teams playing each other. Ratings are highest in any sport, any competition when the best teams play each other. Football is competing against other sports for TV time and thus for money.

1 minute ago, Giselle said:

Because the average fan doesn’t tune in to these matches. These clubs are gifted money that they’re not earning. It’s like if the NBA decided to include European teams who regularly get crushed. What’s the point? People tune in when things get competitive. Smaller clubs that don’t have any money are not competitive. It’s reality. Why deny it? 

Reduce the teams so matches are more competitive. More people will watch because the product is better. 

Go back to RAWK of wherever you came from, absolute horse shit claiming only the "big teams" should be allowed to compete. What you're saying is basically what the ESL is all about. 

3 minutes ago, Giselle said:

Worst post of 2021 tied up right here, and we've had some fucking shit already.

Just now, Sima said:

Exactly.  Considering they're, you know, the actual fucking champions of their country.

UEFA already limit things through the coefficients system and multiple rounds of qualification which the biggest teams are exempted from. This idea is just furthering something that they’re already doing.