Football governance

Nobody

Maybe the other 14 Premier League teams should resign from the Premier League and join the EFL leaving the 6 teams to just play each other every season!.

To allow 6 teams to earn millions more in a closed league would make the Premier League meaningless anyway.  Even if they just used B teams, because of their financial clout, they would probably still be able to afford much better players that most if not all other teams.  It is telling that quite a few of these "elite" teams have struggled this year and may miss out on Europe never mind the Champions League.

If they want a European League, then they should just leave the Premier League completely but I guess that some of those serial winners don't want to become serial losers.

2 minutes ago, Tiresias said:

What gets me about this is, have they actually investigated if anyone actually wants this?

That's a great point, I watch football all the time (I watched 3 fucking Australian games this morning) and my immediate thought is "na I don't fancy uncompetitive football that's not for me" so have they actually asked fans or are they solely relying on fan loyalty 

Their pre-season international tournaments are already a bore-fest. Only gets the giddy Americans excited. Hey, here's an idea. Why don't they just fuck off and setup the league in the States? The land of opportunities.

Get out of the league, get out of the league, you fat greedy bastards, get out of the league.

Edited by nufcjb

5 minutes ago, Ben said:

That's a great point, I watch football all the time (I watched 3 fucking Australian games this morning) and my immediate thought is "na I don't fancy uncompetitive football that's not for me" so have they actually asked fans or are they solely relying on fan loyalty 

Rhetorical question.

As if they give two fucks about the fans.

So obvious the hold our “big 6” have over the premiership. Also has everything to do with the push back on our takeover.  They must hate Leicester for even trying. 

3 minutes ago, nufcjb said:

Their pre-season international tournaments are already a bore-fest. Only gets the giddy Americans excited. Hey, here's an idea. Why don't they just fuck off and setup the league in the States? The land of opportunities.

Get out of the league, get out of the league, you fat greedy bastards, gwt out of the league.

It doesn't even get Americans excited anymore. Attendance drops every year, no one is consistently paying $100 to watch friendlies.

Prepare to watch Tottenham Hotspur vs Atletico Madrid, live on BeOut Sports from Wuhan, China in the European Super League. Your host for the game, Richard Keys.

Edited by nufcjb

I'm obviously against it but it would be class entertainment if they ran it like the NFL, played regular season and then one off or even two legged playoffs. However, they would probably just play loads of meaningless games instead

1 minute ago, triggs said:

I'm obviously against it but it would be class entertainment if they ran it like the NFL, played regular season and then one off or even two legged playoffs. However, they would probably just play loads of meaningless games instead

Rich Man U fan pops up 

4 minutes ago, triggs said:

If you were starting from scratch, the idea has a better chance of making sense. The majority of domestic league games are essentially meaningless in the big picture of a season.

My main gripe is that it's a closed shop. No promotion or relegation. That obviously layers on to existing systemic financial imbalances, of course.

"The European Super League, did Arsenal join that, the same team that drew with Fulham earlier, and Man United that are currently drawing with Burnley" 

"The should deduct points from all the clubs, to do this during a season is an absolute joke." 

Gary Neville is proper pissed :lol:

Are they actually wanting to start this shitty league soon? Please do. Get fucked now, and let us get on with our league. No relegation this season, let the top 6 from the Championship come up.

Hey, we might have a derby to play soon. Hopefully, we'll be riched by then and without Bruce of course.

The Mail article's been updated to post Masters' entire letter to the big 6 chairmen: 

Dear Chairman/Chief Executive, 

I am writing to inform you of what we believe to be an imminent announcement of a European Super League concept, potentially involving a number of Premier League Clubs alongside others from Spain and Italy. 

Based on our understanding of the proposed European Super League concept it would sit outside the auspices of UEFA and the current European sporting pyramid, offering 15 founding members permanent access from as early as season 2022/23, rather than via the historic access principles of annual sporting merit. 

The Premier League Board met this morning and I wanted to make clear its position based on the information we have at our disposal. Such a European Super League would be deeply damaging to the European pyramid, the immediate and future prospects of the Premier League and its member Clubs and all those in football who rely on our funding and solidarity to prosper. 

We believe such a concept would be hugely unpopular with football fans across the continent, in particular here in England, where progress via sporting merit is central to the history and traditions of the national game and the rightful aspirations of all Clubs and their fans. We do not and cannot support such a concept. 

Premier League Rules contain a commitment amongst Clubs to remain within the football pyramid and forbid any Clubs from entering competitions beyond those listed in Rule L9, without Premier League Board permission. 

I cannot envisage any scenario where such permission would be granted. It is the duty of the Premier League Board to defend the integrity and future prospects of the League as a whole, and we will have no choice but to do everything we can to protect and maintain both. 

The consequences of attempting to proceed with a European Super League would be the immediate destabilisation of the Premier League and the English game as a whole, at a time when it needs precisely the opposite. 

This is a time when English football should be coming together as we emerge from the extraordinary challenges of the pandemic. As previously evidenced, we would expect complete condemnation from all parts of the game, fan groups and the UK Government. 

This venture cannot be launched without English Clubs and we call upon any Club contemplating associating themselves or joining this venture to walk away immediately before irreparable damage is done. 

A media statement will be issued on behalf of the Premier League and, should the announcement go ahead, we will call a meeting of Clubs to discuss the immediate implications and the Board's recommended response. 

Both Gary and I are available to talk you through what we reliably know at this stage. 

Kind regards, 

Richard  

Richard Masters, Chief Executive 

Following reports in the media today that 15 of Europe’s biggest clubs – including Manchester United, Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea from the Premier League – have agreed to form a breakaway European Superleague, the FSA issued the following statement:

“The FSA is totally opposed to the proposals which seek to create a breakaway ‘European Superleague’.

“The motivation behind this so-called superleague is not furthering sporting merit or nurturing the world’s game – it is motivated by nothing but cynical greed.

“This competition is being created behind our backs by billionaire club owners who have zero regard for the game’s traditions and continue to treat football as their personal fiefdom.

“The FSA, and no doubt supporters across the continent, will continue to fight against its creation.”